2019 Yukon Denali 6.2L L86 Oil/Filter Recommendation

I wouldn't worry about the extra oil in it. They were originally spec`d for 8.5 quarts. Mine reads slightly over also with 8 qts. in it.

I get a more accurate read when I check about 5 min. after I shut down and on extremely level ground.

Mine reads "really full" after putting exactly 8 qts. in.

1/4 qt. no worry.

Last edited:
Did you see any fine metal particles in the drain oil?

In the sunlight, looking in the drain pan I saw particles in mine and I was happy to get that out!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shimps1
Originally Posted by 2KBMW
It's a good idea to get the factory oil out early. I always change at the 1600 km ( 1000 mi) mark. My question to you is,
Aren't you getting free oil changes for two years or what ever they allow? If so, then you don't have to think about what oil and filter
to use now.

They gave four free oil changes, yes. However, I recently had the truck ceramic coated, at significant cost, and I do not trust the dealership staff to treat the paint as carefully as I would. Especially considering I need a step stool to reach the oil filler cap, and I'm 6'3". The truck will only be going to the dealership for warranty issues if they arise. It is black on black with black wheels, so every scratch is magnified.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

I'm with you on the free oil changes. GM gives 2 and my dealer gave me a 3rd. I haven't used one yet. I'd rather do it myself and know it's done correctly!

I have been involved in GM engineering of these SUV's since the 800 series. I know them. With that I can assure you these K2xx (2015-2020)and the new T1 (2021+) are totally engineered around 0W/20 oil. I would not even consider a thicker oil based on the strategies in the ECM software. Maybe when these are older and worn out you can go to a 5w/30 but trust me - 0W/20 is fine and protects fine. The engines were meant for this. It is not like a RAM Hemi or 3.6 Pentastar where they went from 5w/30 to 5w/20 on the same identical motor. GM did 0W/20 on purpose. FCA did it just to squeak some more miles per gallon out. No mechanical or programming need for the 5w/20 in those motors. Having said that, I would NOT go running a 0W/20 in your 900 series (2007-2014) GM truck just because you think you have the same 5.3/6.2 motor because you don't. Keep 5W/30 in those engines.

It is very hard for some of us to accept low weight oils, I get that. However, we on BITOG are not smarter than the engineers who built the motors. I know these guys and they know what they are doing. I have had the thick vs thin oil discussion several times with them. No for the big question you may have....will running 5w/30 do harm in these 0W/20 spec motors? NO. But try running thicker oil like 15w/40 or 20w/50 and you WILL have issues from AFM activation, less MPG, higher oil temps and less power. Again - keep with the recommend oil in the case of the new GM DI V8's. You are better off. On the flip side - running 5w/30 in your 5.7 Hemi and 3.6 Pentastar is better. They were designed around that weight from the start.

Originally Posted by 4WD
It is ... but XG is more of a 3D filter made to go more miles

Since this just came up … and does often … this is an older XG10575 where you can see the black PRV
(low psi and not up to GM spec)

straight down the center. It is round (about 1/2 inch diameter) plastic. White is the newer 22 psi bypass. Black is the old lower bypass. You want the white one.

Last edited:
Should I be concerned if I overfilled by 8oz? It's an 8 qt change.

Why would you be concerned about 8 ounces?

I've just read that it's bad to overfill... Not sure where the line is drawn for the danger there.

Not sure how you'd remove 8 ounces ? Extraction pump, drain plug … to change the filter is a quart on my 5.3L‘s
Unless you just make it leak some, wipe off, tighten again …
I can't see that small amount being an issue … so it's above the upper line on dipstick?

Does that engine consume oil ?

Yea it's about 1/2" over full on the dipstick, no oil consumption from this engine, only 1600 miles.

I wouldn't think 8 extra ounces is going to hurt anything.

When I put 8 quarts in my 5.3, it's always about .5-.75" over the full mark. I just roll with it.

I put 8.5 quarts in mine having forgotten they revised it to 8 quarts and it's quite a bit over on the dipstick, have run it probably 1000 miles including heavy towing, no issues.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going with the Kirkland Signature 0W-20 they are selling for $29.99 for 10 quarts. Round that out with a Fram XG10575, new oil drain bolt and gasket, I'm at about $40 per 8 quart change. Seems like a pretty good deal for great protection, OCI will be 5k miles, changing oil and filter each time.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I have been involved in GM engineering of these SUV's since the 800 series. I know them. With that I can assure you these K2xx (2015-2020)and the new T1 (2021+) are totally engineered around 0W/20 oil. I would not even consider a thicker oil based on the strategies in the ECM software. Maybe when these are older and worn out you can go to a 5w/30 but trust me - 0W/20 is fine and protects fine. The engines were meant for this. It is not like a RAM Hemi or 3.6 Pentastar where they went from 5w/30 to 5w/20 on the same identical motor. GM did 0W/20 on purpose. FCA did it just to squeak some more miles per gallon out. No mechanical or programming need for the 5w/20 in those motors. Having said that, I would NOT go running a 0W/20 in your 900 series (2007-2014) GM truck just because you think you have the same 5.3/6.2 motor because you don't. Keep 5W/30 in those engines.

It is very hard for some of us to accept low weight oils, I get that. However, we on BITOG are not smarter than the engineers who built the motors. I know these guys and they know what they are doing. I have had the thick vs thin oil discussion several times with them. No for the big question you may have....will running 5w/30 do harm in these 0W/20 spec motors? NO. But try running thicker oil like 15w/40 or 20w/50 and you WILL have issues from AFM activation, less MPG, higher oil temps and less power. Again - keep with the recommend oil in the case of the new GM DI V8's. You are better off. On the flip side - running 5w/30 in your 5.7 Hemi and 3.6 Pentastar is better. They were designed around that weight from the start.

Thanks for chiming in! Given your experience with the platform, are there any trouble spots I should keep an eye on? Not only oil related, but in general.

The front and rear diffs come under filled from the factory in my opinion.

Back in the day I had a few rust bucket HD Suburbans with 454s on propane and Bandag BDRW retread tires.

Nothing better in deep snow.

In Canadian dollars, the new 2021 Denali XL will be over $100,000.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

Thanks for chiming in! Given your experience with the platform, are there any trouble spots I should keep an eye on? Not only oil related, but in general.

Not really. The only thing I can say bad is that anyone looking for a used K2 to avoid the 2015 models because we made a huge amount of improvements mid year and actually built 15 1/2 model years which became 2016. A lot of fixes and upgrades. The Escalade changed to the new emblem for 2015.5 also. 2017-20 are the best years.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
The front and rear diffs come under filled from the factory in my opinion.

Transmissions and transfer cases as well. The dealers are supposed to check and adjust ALL fluid levels but they don't.

Back