2019 Yukon Denali 6.2L L86 Oil/Filter Recommendation

I would use Mobil 1 0w20 AFE or the EP flavor. GM uses Mobil oil in there vehicles from the Factory. So stay with that. PP is good but not a fan on there low flash point stay Mobil 1

Originally Posted by Ram02
I would use Mobil 1 0w20 AFE or the EP flavor. GM uses Mobil oil in there vehicles from the Factory. So stay with that. PP is good but not a fan on there low flash point stay Mobil 1

What?

I had a tracked bobcat and a bunch of field stone behind mine yesterday on a 20' trailer. Probably makes no difference but I *felt* a little better having the 5W-30 in there. If this were only a grocery getter I'm sure it'd live forever on 0w-20.

My son has had two GMC Denali's (2016 and now 2019) and he uses M1 0-20EP with M1 filters. His 2016 had 95K when he traded it in for his 2019 and his OCI was 15K as he drives a lot on the hwy with his business. The engine performed great but not so much with the trans. His 2019 runs great as he puts 35K a year on it. Oil used is M1 0-20EP.

Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
I would definately do that early change, and myself I would probably skip the filter. I have several newer vehicles that we are doing a every other filter change on now because they are the top load cartridge type and never seem to have anything on then even after 10K miles, the oil gets RR on a 4-6month cycle depends on the car, always synthetic. I personally love using the RGT in our GM truck and the oil life monitor system seems to go to around 10% right at 5k miles/6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/Rotella-Truck-5W-20-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B07MLXF2CF?th=1

There's also the $10/jug rebate with that, would seem if you can DIY its gonna cost you $20 for peace of mind.

This is a bottom load cartridge, sits right next to the drain plug. What are your thoughts on that situation?

Originally Posted by zfasts03
I would change it out early. My 2016 Suburban 5.3 L83, I changed at 1000 miles (3 months since build) and had very fine visible metallic particles in the oil.

You can certainly use any 0w-20 Dexos1gen2 that you like.

I ran Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE for the first 2 changes, then went to Amsoil 0w-20 Sig. Series and will stick to this.

I am running the revised Fram XG10575 with 22 psi bypass (been out for over a year now) so all stock should be 22 psi. You can tell by looking at the bypass valve. White 22 psi, black is the old one 12 psi). Whichever filter make sure it has the 22 psi bypass. Wix/Napa Gold is a reputable and fairly priced filter with the correct bypass.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 would be great as it is Dex1gen2. However, as you mentioned the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in NOT Dex1gen2.

If I was buying off the shelf and wanted to stay frugal, in spec. and great protection I believe I would go with QSUD 0w-20.

FWIW, my engine was quiet and smooth on M1 0w-20 as well as Amsoil SS 0w-20 with no oil consumption.

The ACDelco PF63e is an ecore design that has been fine, just not one of my top picks.

By the way the Amsoil SS 0w-20 isn't a Dex1gen2 license oil, but I still like it!

I bought and installed that Fram XG10575 filter. Curious, what do you mean about the 22 PSI bypass? I typically am seeing roughly 30 PSI indicated on the gauges when idleling at a light, so does that mean I'm not getting any filtration?

The bypass valve built into the filter. It is located at the bottom center. It will open an allow oil to bypass filtration if the filter is clogged or restricted. However in the case of GM they discovered the unclogged filter was occasionally going into bypass under normal operations, so they changed it to 22psi.

GM originally speced a lower bypass setting, but found that metal particles were making to the bearings due to the high varied pressure at startup. They increased there required spec to 22 psi. Many aftermarket filters followed but not all and some took a while to get the new filter to market.

There is a thread on here... I'll see if I can link it. There is also a TSB from GM.

Originally Posted by shimps1
Originally Posted by zfasts03
I would change it out early. My 2016 Suburban 5.3 L83, I changed at 1000 miles (3 months since build) and had very fine visible metallic particles in the oil.

You can certainly use any 0w-20 Dexos1gen2 that you like.

I ran Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE for the first 2 changes, then went to Amsoil 0w-20 Sig. Series and will stick to this.

I am running the revised Fram XG10575 with 22 psi bypass (been out for over a year now) so all stock should be 22 psi. You can tell by looking at the bypass valve. White 22 psi, black is the old one 12 psi). Whichever filter make sure it has the 22 psi bypass. Wix/Napa Gold is a reputable and fairly priced filter with the correct bypass.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 would be great as it is Dex1gen2. However, as you mentioned the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in NOT Dex1gen2.

If I was buying off the shelf and wanted to stay frugal, in spec. and great protection I believe I would go with QSUD 0w-20.

FWIW, my engine was quiet and smooth on M1 0w-20 as well as Amsoil SS 0w-20 with no oil consumption.

The ACDelco PF63e is an ecore design that has been fine, just not one of my top picks.

By the way the Amsoil SS 0w-20 isn't a Dex1gen2 license oil, but I still like it!

I bought and installed that Fram XG10575 filter. Curious, what do you mean about the 22 PSI bypass? I typically am seeing roughly 30 PSI indicated on the gauges when idleling at a light, so does that mean I'm not getting any filtration?

The Bypass valve only opens if there is 22PSI of pressure drop across the filter media, typically happens during cold starts during the winter up here in the north or if the filter somehow becomes clogged, with the oil up to temp you could have 75PSI oil pressure and the bypass would still be closed if the filter is not clogged.

It's a good idea to get the factory oil out early. I always change at the 1600 km ( 1000 mi) mark. My question to you is,
Aren't you getting free oil changes for two years or what ever they allow? If so, then you don't have to think about what oil and filter
to use now.

Originally Posted by 2KBMW
It's a good idea to get the factory oil out early. I always change at the 1600 km ( 1000 mi) mark. My question to you is,
Aren't you getting free oil changes for two years or what ever they allow? If so, then you don't have to think about what oil and filter
to use now.

They gave four free oil changes, yes. However, I recently had the truck ceramic coated, at significant cost, and I do not trust the dealership staff to treat the paint as carefully as I would. Especially considering I need a step stool to reach the oil filler cap, and I'm 6'3". The truck will only be going to the dealership for warranty issues if they arise. It is black on black with black wheels, so every scratch is magnified.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Thanks for the info. I think it looks pretty great too!

So I ham fisted the fill a little bit, and overfilled by about 1/4 quart, 8oz. It's a 8 quart sump, and it drained pretty thoroughly. Should I drain out the extra 8 oz, or not worry about it?

Also, the XG10575 is significantly smaller (shorter) than the PF63e that came off the engine. Is that normal? I feel there is significantly less filter material in the XG10575.

Free oil changes means the dealers let there rookies come in and do oil changes. They dont take the care you do .
Forget the free changes do it yourself and know it's done right and know what oil and filter is on the truck.
The dealer is better than these 10 min oil changes that may or may not change the filter and may or may not put the correct oil on.

Back