2019 RAM 1500 Sport 5.7L - M1 EP 0W-20 - 9,974km

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This is the first report for our 2019 RAM 1500 Sport with the 5.7L HEMI. This truck does not have eTorque. Engine had 59,018km on it at the time of sample.

- Air filter was OE
- Oil filter was a FRAM Ultra XG2
- Oil was M1 EP 0W-20, as has been every fill prior
- Use was mixed including some towing. This vehicle is not driven gently.
- Oil was in service from November 18th, 2021 to July 7th, 2022, so it was run through the winter, including seeing some -30C cold starts with no block heater use
- Engine has a factory oil cooler, which is the reason copper is elevated

I'm quite happy with the low level of fuel, good old port injection!

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 8.19.40 PM.jpg

Iron is pretty similar to mine on a ppm/1000 mile basis. I am surprised by how low your TBN is after ~6K miles.
Probably the winter had an impact, lots of short trips in there too.

This is the first report for our 2019 RAM 1500 Sport with the 5.7L HEMI. This truck does not have eTorque. Engine had 59,018km on it at the time of sample.

- Air filter was OE
- Oil was in service from November 18th, 2021 to July 7th, 2022, so it was run through the winter, including seeing some -30C cold starts with no block heater use

View attachment 112085
Wish I could jump forward into the future 6 months. Really looking forward to the HPL UOA!

Do you think Iron is a little high?
Just going to expand on this.

This is a 6,198 mile OCI. Iron is at 25ppm, or 4.03ppm per 1,000 miles.

If we look at this report for a 2011 RAM 1500 with 110,000 miles on it:

This is a 5,000 mile OCI. Iron is at 22ppm, or 4.40ppm per 1,000 miles.

If we look at the report @The Critic linked for his 2020 RAM 1500 with 18,000 miles on it:

This is a 3,200 mile OCI. Iron is at 16ppm, or 5.00ppm per 1,000 miles.

Of the group of us, I can pretty much guarantee ours was driven the hardest and it was the only one to see several -30C cold starts with no block heater, as @pjc360 is in Montana and @The Critic is in California. I would consider Critic's truck still breaking in, since it has so little mileage on it, which is why his is higher, but as you can see, this is an engine that will produce iron at around 4-5ppm per 1,000 miles, typically.

Does that help? :)

Well, based off comparisons of iron ppm looks like the Mobil1 EP did very well in some tough conditions. I’m just surprised an engine tosses that much iron, I guess a big V8 truck does that sort of thing and it’s built to do that. And I know we’re talking only ppm but when you see an engine throw 2-3 times more than most engines, it just catches you by surprise.

I think the Dodge Ram is the truck I’d buy out of the big three right now, seems like they have the least problems and I love what they’ve done with them...the interiors, the overall look of them now. Just a great job by them.

If we look at the report @The Critic linked for his 2020 RAM 1500 with 18,000 miles on it:

Of the group of us, I can pretty much guarantee ours was driven the hardest and it was the only one to see several -30C cold starts with no block heater, as @pjc360 is in Montana and @The Critic is in California. I would consider Critic's truck still breaking in, since it has so little mileage on it, which is why his is higher, but as you can see, this is an engine that will produce iron at around 4-5ppm per 1,000 miles, typically.

Iron sleeved V8’s are happy to give up a bit of iron 😜 … With 20’s or 30’s … The honing marks are still there …

Probably the winter had an impact, lots of short trips in there

How does the Mobil 1 ep 0

- Air filter was OE

View attachment 112085
how does this oil sound in your hemi?
Is it smooth and quiet?
Just wondering cause I’ve been told by a few people that the Mobil 1 20 weight oils are pretty noisy in the hemi.
I can say the valvoline extended protection 0w-20 is super smooth and quiet in mine.
And I attribute that to the added moly in the add pack.
I’m fine with changing the oil every 5k miles in mine cause that’s when I rotate the new tires I had put on my truck when I first got it.
Im guessing the low tbn on my report with only 5k miles is due to the short distance trips this truck makes every day.

- Air filter was OE

View attachment 112085
What? You don't run 0/40?

How does the Mobil 1 ep 0

how does this oil sound in your hemi?
Is it smooth and quiet?
Just wondering cause I’ve been told by a few people that the Mobil 1 20 weight oils are pretty noisy in the hemi.
I can say the valvoline extended protection 0w-20 is super smooth and quiet in mine.
And I attribute that to the added moly in the add pack.
I’m fine with changing the oil every 5k miles in mine cause that’s when I rotate the new tires I had put on my truck when I first got it.
Im guessing the low tbn on my report with only 5k miles is due to the short distance trips this truck makes every day.
It sounds fine. No different than the HPL 0W-20 that's in it presently, which has massively more moly.

Back