2019 Consumer Reports Tire Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they could do long term tests. I noticed they rated the Firestone Destination LE2 tires in one of the categories. They may age better on a heavier vehicle, but we just replaced the perfectly-good-looking set on my wife's 2015 CRV because they are unbelievably slick in the wet. She'd complained a few times and I thought it was just her not adjusting well to conditions. I drove it home a few weeks ago after we'd had a long, several-day rainy stint (all the grease and oil was well gone by then) and it was laughable how slick they were. Half of the tread left? Don't care. Put a set of BFGs on it after seeing some good well-rounded reviews. She is thrilled.

Too Bad CR did not test the Altimax winter tire. I have ran Altimax arctic for 3 winters now on a 2010 sonata and a 2010 forester and they seem to do just as well as the more expensive Blizzacks that I used to run on our 2002 CRV back when we had it. I fully expect to get 2-3 more winters out of them. Blizzacks were good winter tire as well, in fact I can tell no real difference, they both did well in sub zero cold and moderate to heavy snow and slush. At the time I bought them Altimax was a good $25.00 less than Blizzacks so I give the nod to general on price point . I cancelled Guns and Ammo subscription for the same reason magazine .

Originally Posted by edyvw
Vikingcontact is new for NA market, but it is in Europe available for at least as long as wintercontact si.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Maybe they are closing them out.

yes Continental is ending the wintercontact si.
The vikingcontact7 is replacing the vikingcontact6 in europe, and the wintercontact si in North America.

Really like them, They drive like normal tires with lots of traction, the handling isnt impressive.
The noise is average esp for the tread design. They go straight down the road with no pulling on grooved roads or excessive side to side movement from winds etc.

They went very well in the mini blizzard we had the other night when it dropped from 50f rain to 14f snow.

As tempting as the low prices on the Conti's are right now, I would pay the difference for the 12's and ignore the brand name.
One other difference is that Arctic 12 has deeper tread. Not sure if that helps with snow traction or results in longer useful life...

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by edyvw
Vikingcontact is new for NA market, but it is in Europe available for at least as long as wintercontact si.

Maybe they are closing them out.

yes Continental is ending the wintercontact si.
The vikingcontact7 is replacing the vikingcontact6 in europe, and the wintercontact si in North America.

Really like them, They drive like normal tires with lots of traction, the handling isnt impressive.
The noise is average esp for the tread design. They go straight down the road with no pulling on grooved roads or excessive side to side movement from winds etc.

They went very well in the mini blizzard we had the other night when it dropped from 50f rain to 14f snow.

Viking 7 as far as I know was on the market in Europe since 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back