Latest CR Tire Testing Results - 2015 Testing Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consumer Reports has released the results from their latest tire testing program.

In the performance all-season category (which describes most H and V-rated touring tires), the top tires were:
Continental PureContact
Michelin Premier A/S
Pirelli P7 A/S Plus

All three tires tied for the top-score of 70. From a performance standpoint, there were some minor differences between the three, but all three performed similarly. The BITOG favorite General Altimax RT43 performed nearly as well as the top-3 tires, and scored 68.

Between those four tires, the Michelin Premier A/S was the only tire that exceeded its advertised treadwear claim; the H-rated version of the Premier A/S is projected to last 85k miles based on testing results, while the V-rated version is projected to last 80k. Both versions of the Premier A/S are advertised with a 60k treadwear warranty. So clearly, the fears about the 8.5/32" starting tread depth being inadequate...is unfounded.

For the all-season category (S and T-rated version) tires, the top tires were:
Michelin Defender
Continental TrueContact
General RT43
Pirelli P4 Plus

Again, the performance was fairly similar between the four tires. From a treadlife standpoint, the Michelin Defender and the Pirelli P4 Plus were the only two tires that met or exceeded their advertised treadlife.

Note: Consumer Reports modified their treadlife testing methodology, and more info about the change is described in this article: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/the-truth-about-tire-treadwear/index.htm

In summary, you can't go wrong with any of the "top-rated" tires from their test. There are some differences in treadlife, but you'll have to decide if the additional treadlife of the Michelins is enough to warrant their premium.

Last edited:
An inlaw of mine sprung for Michelin Defenders on her Mazda6 and was underwhelmed by them. They wore faster than expected and were noisy after getting some miles on them. She said they weren't very good in light snow either.

The Defenders that I have are noisy, and should have a smoother ride.

But once you get that idea in your head that Michelin tires are fabulous and nothing beats them, then anything is possible.

Thanks for posting. I was already looking at the Michelin's newest version of the premier for installing in the spring on my wife's 2012 Altima. We also have winter tires we install each year.

Biggest issue is, the current tires she has on there are very noisy and I don't even have 40,000 miles on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The Defenders that I have are noisy, and should have a smoother ride.

But once you get that idea in your head that Michelin tires are fabulous and nothing beats them, then anything is possible.

Beat Michelin X-ice Xi3 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport. All manufacturers make good, average and not so good tires. Saying that all Michelins are super is as stupid as saying that all are garbage.

Krzys

In addition to the note that the Michelin tires will exceed their rated tread wear life, the article also noted that there were several tires that will fall 15,000 miles short of their tread wear rating, including the top 3 rated Continental TrueContact and PureContact.

Of real interest was the actual tread wear life of the new Nokian Entyre 2.0. They predict it will fall way short of it's 80,000 mile rating, yielding only 35,000 miles. This makes the effective price for the Nokian 2 - 2.6 times that of the top 3 tires. That sure sets it off by itself. and not in a good way. That also means you are going to be in the tire shop twice as often as with the other tires.

They're pricing seems to be way off. I can't find tires for my 05 Chevy truck anywhere close to what they're MSRP is claiming....at least in my area.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
They're pricing seems to be way off. I can't find tires for my 05 Chevy truck anywhere close to what they're MSRP is claiming....at least in my area.

The price that CR lists is for the size they tested, I believe. If you have a different size you may pay a different price.

Many manufactures now have time limit for warranty too, if driver doesn't accumulate enough mileage in that time frame then warranty will expired on time. Ex, an owner gets down to 2/32" with only 50k miles with 6 years/80k miles warranty in 7 years, he/she will not be able to fill for mileage warranty.

Michelin, Pirelli and Continental are 3 of the best tires according to CR and many other testers. I had good experience with Michelin and Pirelli and mixed results with Continental. The Continental DWS was terrible on fairly heavy rain when fit on my E430, and it was rated as excellent rain tire. Other Continental models were okay on other cars.

One of the problems with these 3 brands are cost, they are much more than others while the advantages/benefits are barely better. One of the others is General RT43, its cost is much lower while it performs very close to these 3 top tier brands. I think Cooper CS5 is very good too and costs substantial less. I don't know if CR tests it or not.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Many manufactures now have time limit for warranty too, if driver doesn't accumulate enough mileage in that time frame then warranty will expired on time. Ex, an owner gets down to 2/32" with only 50k miles with 6 years/80k miles warranty in 7 years, he/she will not be able to fill for mileage warranty.

Michelin, Pirelli and Continental are 3 of the best tires according to CR and many other testers. I had good experience with Michelin and Pirelli and mixed results with Continental. The Continental DWS was terrible on fairly heavy rain when fit on my E430, and it was rated as excellent rain tire. Other Continental models were okay on other cars.

One of the problems with these 3 brands are cost, they are much more than others while the advantages/benefits are barely better. One of the others is General RT43, its cost is much lower while it performs very close to these 3 top tier brands. I think Cooper CS5 is very good too and costs substantial less. I don't know if CR tests it or not.

Tires should really be replaced after six years anyway, so from a technical standpoint, the warranties are not being unreasonable. I do believe that they should allow a partial reimbursement if a claim is made at 3/32" instead of being forced to wait until 2/32", but that's a different topic altogether.

CR did test the CS5, but it did not do quite as well as the ones that I posted about. With that said, I was quite surprised by how close the scores were for all of the tires tested -- which goes to show you that there are fewer and fewer "bad" tires on the market today...at least from the majors.

Oddly, different tire sizes/prices aren't mentioned in the CR report. I checked online and Merchants tire offered the smallest size for the Cooper cs5 ultra touring 195/60R15 for $94.97 each before taxes and installation. The CR price with no tire size given is $89. That leaves me to believe they're pricing was for the smallest size available for any given tire. IDK.

I didn't say 6 years warranty is unreasonable, I just point out that manufactures are now limit how long they will warranty tread life along with mileage, it used to be mileage only. If someone don't drive much then 70-80k miles treadlife warranty is pretty much useless, they should looking for a tire with better fit their needs than mileage warranty.

For most states a tire is safe to be in service is 10 years and CA is one of them, only few states have 6 years limit and they are AZ, NV ... because of extreme heat and very high UV in summer.

Oddly, different tire sizes/prices aren't mentioned in the CR report. I checked online and Merchants tire offered the smallest size for the Cooper cs5 ultra touring 195/60R15 for $94.97 each before taxes and installation. The CR price with no tire size given is $89. That leaves me to believe they're pricing was for the smallest size available for any given tire. IDK.

Each individual tire rating tells the size tested. For the RT43 t-rated its 215/60-16 with an "approximate retail price" of $90.50. DTD sells them for $96 shipped, so the CR price is pretty close. You might be able to get it cheaper in stores without the shipping cost.

The CS5 GT is also 215/60-16. CR says approximately $91. DTD is $95 shipped, so again, pretty close.

If you bought during one of DT's sales, you'd be undercutting CR's approximate price. Those examples seem like decent average approximate prices.

I'd believe the wear on the Premiers. We had to road-hazard warranty one of them on the Fit thanks to a scrap of angle iron. In about 1500 miles of driving it hadn't worn any that the tire shop could measure. Good tires, they seem to do everything well.

I'm semi-surprised at how well the Good Year Assurance Fuel Max did in the tests. Tied with the General Altimax RT43's and depending on your priority, as good or better than the Michelin Premier's.

In past tests the Good Years did not do well. I had one of the first generations of this tire on my 2001 Grand Prix, and it was pretty bad. The worst GY tire I have ever owned, I did get 50k miles out of them but handling was not great and the side walls gave out before the tread. I have the General Motors OEM spec. version of the Assurance Fuel Max on my current Cruze with about 20k miles on them and wear is minimal and dry and wet traction is very good. Handling is good as well. I will likely replace them with the same if they stay this good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

The price that CR lists is for the size they tested, I believe. If you have a different size you may pay a different price.

Haven't seen the latest mag yet, but they seem to use fairly small cars for their passenger tire testing. Think the prices for tires for my RAV4 tended to be almost 2X what they were for the sizes I'd see in CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back