2018 RAV 4 vs. 2018 CRV

Taking a look at a 2018 RAV 4 Adventure with 22,xxx miles on it in mint condition for 25K

Also looking at a 2018 CRV EX-L, with 55,xxx mile on it in mint condition also for 22K

I like them both, but for long term reliability is it wise to go with the Toyota which doesn't have a Turbo and CVT transmission?

Also, I would assume that the RAV 4's AWD system is a bit better than the realtime Honda one.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I really don't know much about either other than what you've stated. I'd go with the RAV 4. $3k for half the miles & no turbo system to maintain or break.

I'm pretty sure that the 2018 Honda CR-V has the direct injected 1.5 liter turbo motor which was plagued with excessive fuel dilution issues. I'd avoid that situation and the CVT by going with the Toyota RAV4.

I'm pretty sure that the 2018 Honda CR-V has the direct injected 1.5 liter turbo motor which was plagued with excessive fuel dilution issues. I'd avoid that situation and the CVT by going with the Toyota RAV4.

That's 1 of 2 engine options. It also has an NA 2.4l GDI engine.

If you don't mind the cheaper interior on the Rav4 and slightly smaller space, Rav4 all the way.

I'd expect the Toyota to be more reliable. The Honda has better fuel economy and a bit more power. I'd lean toward the Toyota, but you find the Honda to be more enjoyable to drive, I wouldn't let the turbo and CVT scare you off.

In 2018, only the CR-V LX trim had the 2.4 liter GDI engine. EX, EX-L and Touring trims had the 1.5 liter turbo. OP stated it was an EX-L trim level.

This is true. I was just stating in general for the CR-V platform. Yes, the EX-L would be the 1.5l TGDI engine.

Maybe I am getting old, but it doesn't seem like all that long ago when reliability for Toyota and Honda was considered to be pretty much the same.

I have a 19' crv it's been flawless, and the CVT is the best around from Honda...rav 4cyl is a buzz box...

Thank you for the input guys. Had a chance to drive both of them. They both are very solid and were well taken care of. Near perfect paint and interiors.

It is so hard not to ignore the 22K miles on the RAV 4 and it not using direction injection, turbo, or CVT, even though Honda is a reliable brand for sure.

We are now in negotiations for the RAV4. The fun stuff...NOT! :)

Are these rust belt vehicles? 6 winters = a lot of rust potential.
Got underneath both of them with a nice inspection light on my back, hands and knees. Could not locate rust on these cars, besides extreme surface rust on a couple of the brake calipers. Shock mount bolts, ball joints, control arms, etc., looked very good to my eyes.

Reactions: JTK
Maybe I am getting old, but it doesn't seem like all that long ago when reliability for Toyota and Honda was considered to be pretty much the same.

Things changed in 2017-2018 when Honda did the CR-V and Odyssey redesign for the newest 5th gens.

Back