2018 Nissan frontier 4.0 DI. Oil & filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Absolutely. They don't even push the ester stuff up here, given that the dealer prices on oil changes are expensive enough as it is.
wink.gif

The dealership called me last week, offering a synthetic oil change for $89. Regular is $169.

I think I'll stick to changing my own for under 30 bucks.

Yikes. They don't even bother me about oil changes, aside from their automated emails. I'm assuming that for $169 it's simply M1. Crimony, their ATF flush/fill or whatever you like to call it is only a hair above that!

From what I've read this engine isn't particular about what oil you run. A tech rep from an oil company in the UK suggested an ACEA A3 rated oil for this engine. I'm not surprised as the Europeans still cling to the heavier grades.

Use a quality API SN oil that meets recommended viscosity requirements.

That engines been around since what, API SL/SM?

Dont overthink it

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Dont overthink it

Yeah it's been around since T-Rex was roaming the earth.

thumbsup2.gif

When I had mine, it really didn't care. Went over 130,000 miles on whatever I put in it. I did run Magnatec 5W-30 and a Tough Guard oil filter the last few OCIs before I traded it in. I ran everything from dino to Syn and changed at 5,000 to 7,000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted by buster

Dont overthink it

Yeah it's been around since T-Rex was roaming the earth.

thumbsup2.gif

Right?

I'll recommend this:

Supertech Conventional 5w30 and a Supertech filter. Change at 5k ocis. Thank me in 200,000 miles when it's still running.

EDIT: Im saying this out of experience, my cousin has a 2007 Frontier 4.0, its ran most of its life on the cheapest filter he could find (Driveworks/supertech/stp) and American XT 5w30 (Hes a GM for Family Dollar) oil at 5k ocis. Has been doing this now for 12 years, his truck is at 436k miles. Not an oil related problem yet.

Worked with another guy at Racetrac that uses the RPMaximum oil they sold, rarely changes the filter, hes running at over 300k on his 2009 4.0

Last edited:
Nice....are these engines known to burn any oil? My Mazdas were great with not consuming any oil, Honda and Toyota not so much.

My truck came with 63 miles already on it unfortunately so I don't know what those miles were like although I was told it was your typical short test drive. I'm going by Nissan's break-in period, which is don't exceed 4k rpms the first 1,200 miles.

Nice....are these engines known to burn any oil? My Mazdas were great with not consuming any oil, Honda and Toyota not so much.

My truck came with 63 miles already on it unfortunately so I don't know what those miles were like although I was told it was your typical short test drive. I'm going by Nissan's break-in period, which is don't exceed 4k rpms the first 1,200 miles.

With proper OCIs, upkeep on Air Filters and PCV valves, I have heard of no oil burning issues from anybody I know who owns a frontier, I just gave two examples of those I still semi-talk to, but I know plenty (20+) people who still own mid 2000s and are still going strong, most with over 200K the last time I checked.

These trucks are mules. You can throw synthetic at it, but conventional will run just as good for a 5k oci.

With proper OCIs, upkeep on Air Filters and PCV valves, I have heard of no oil burning issues from anybody I know who owns a frontier, I just gave two examples of those I still semi-talk to, but I know plenty (20+) people who still own mid 2000s and are still going strong, most with over 200K the last time I checked.

These trucks are mules. You can throw synthetic at it, but conventional will run just as good for a 5k oci.

cheers3.gif

I have the 2019 desert runner. These 5k oil/filter seems like a waste to me but I will do it for warranty purposes. I did settle on the oil and filter I will use.
Oil will be Havoline Pro DP 5/30 and filter will be WIX 57356XP for 5K miles like I stated before a waste. As soon as warranty is up it will be 7k with an uoa then I will decided from there if I want to increase it or not. I would like to get to a 10k oil/filter.in the future. If Havoline can do it I will stay with it. If not...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gawardawg
New vehicle. Dealership gave me a few free oil changes with vehicle. But if all they are going to put in it is dino bulk I'll just change it myself. It specs a 5w30sn oil. The factory oil change has been moved to a 6 months / 5000 Mile change. Nissan filters check out ok ? Is there a 5w30 sn of choice on this great site for a DI motor ? Yeah I said motor.
shocked.gif
. Thanks guys and gals , Gawardawg

The VQ series of V6 is arguably the best line of V6 engines ever made, and it will tolerate anything more lubricious than sand run through it's crankcase for many, many hundreds of thousands of miles.

In other words, don't worry about it. Were I you, in hot North Carolina, I'd just buy whatever synthetic 5W30 is on sale at the local store, and run it with confidence. It won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back