2018 Kia Optima SX 2.0 Turbo recommended oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: knerml
CASTROL MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W30 A5

Link

The OP lives in Alberta, Canada.
wink.gif
That link is for Start Stop Magnatec sold in other parts of the world, not North America.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: wemay
Ask the dealer what they use for an oil change and you will find out they don't really have or know or care about A5/B5......
100%
True, but wemay's comment above about Pennz Plat and Valvoline full-syn having A5/B5 is the best answer here, since they are A5/B5, checking that box, and they are very easy to find at walmart or autoparts stores. Sure in truth, dexos1 Gen2 should be what Kia/Hyundai requires for a turbo DI engine, but if you want warranty compliance IN FULL, its ez to just pick Plat/Synpower and thats it. Fram Ultra oil filter.
I suppose but after owning Hyundais since 2008 I can say their owner and service manuals are full of errors. And many engineering decisions seem to be made with throwing darts.

Having owned 4 since 2009 myself, I assure you, everything but the oil recommendation has vastly improved since '08, '10.

I'm using Amsoil Sig Series 5W30 (which meets A5/B5) as well as dexos1/g2 in my 2012 DI 2.0 (LHU) Turbo Regal GS. Since you're in Alberta, the -50C pour point will probably appeal to you.

I'm using Amsoil Sig Series 5W30 (which meets A5/B5) as well as dexos1/g2 in my 2012 DI 2.0 (LHU) Turbo Regal GS. Since you're in Alberta, the -50C pour point will probably appeal to you.

Originally Posted By: MitchellsGS
Amsoil Sig Series isn't even API Certified, much less officially dexos1 Gen2 or ACEA A5/B5. They mention those specs in their bulletin, yet don't actually hold certificates in those specs. Their XL and OE lines are at least API Certified though. That said, Amsoil Signature Series are probably, in all likelihood, pretty good. You have to trust the company when they wink and say it.

Castrol Magnatec Full Syn Dexos 1 Gen 2 if you are going to DIY and want to save some money. Be sure to use OEM oil filter with any Hyundai/Kia. They have a bad reputation for not honoring warranties. Even heard of people using Fram filters and getting denied on the hyundai forums.

The OE filters are stout, no doubt but they are nothing special when compared to other contemporary filters like Mobil1, Fram Ultra etc. OP, if you don't wish to use OE, use whatever quality filter you'd like. I've owned 4 Hyundai products and have only used OE when a maintenance pkg was in effect. Other than that, none of them used OE filters afterwards. The SFS 2.0T in my sig now has 90K+ miles , 80K of which have been on Fram Ultra(90%) with a sprinkling of Napa Gold and others.

The OP lives in Alberta, Canada.
wink.gif

Grabbing a bunch of PP or PUP when Canadian Tire has a sale is probably the best option, then. Some versions of Magnatec can be found here, but not as readily, and more often than not in oddball containers - Castrol has a keg.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I'll pass on a Hyundai/Kia. Not as well made as a Japanese car.

Have you ever owned a KIA or Hyundai? I've owned farily recent Toyotas and Nissans. My 2014 Santa Fe and my 2017 Tucson are, IMO, a tick above Toyota and several ticks above the Nissan we've owned. My wife drives a 2016 KIA Cadenza. My daughter drives a KIA Forte Koup. And no, I do not work for these companies nor am I a brand salesman. The quality is there and the price and warranty are on point. Zero issues with any of them.

Hyundai and KIA quality are just as good as any Japanese vehicle produced.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Ask the dealer what they use for an oil change and you will find out they don't really have or know or care about A5/B5......
100%
True, but wemay's comment above about Pennz Plat and Valvoline full-syn having A5/B5 is the best answer here, since they are A5/B5, checking that box, and they are very easy to find at walmart or autoparts stores. Sure in truth, dexos1 Gen2 should be what Kia/Hyundai requires for a turbo DI engine, but if you want warranty compliance IN FULL, its ez to just pick Plat/Synpower and thats it. Fram Ultra oil filter.
I suppose but after owning Hyundais since 2008 I can say their owner and service manuals are full of errors. And many engineering decisions seem to be made with throwing darts.

Unfortunately, most of us will never know what engineering decisions or recommendations have been made after the Legal and Marketing teams get involved.

To general of a statement : Case in point - the beloved Honda minivans have had very poor transmissions - Hyundai transmissions with regular drain and fill will go 200K plus miles with no issues ... Then there were the Toyota sludge monster engines - haven't seen that in a Hyundai / Kia engine yet !
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I'll pass on a Hyundai/Kia. Not as well made as a Japanese car.

^^^

I think that's what he's looking for. For someone to react to his post by then disparaging other makes, which in turn starts an argument with those owners as well. Very common TROLL M.O. Don't fall for it.
39.gif
Trolling.gif

^^^

I think that's what he's looking for. For someone to react to his post by then disparaging other makes, which in turn starts an argument with those owners as well. Very common TROLL M.O. Don't fall for it.
39.gif
Trolling.gif

Yep. Fishing in these here parts is not too productive but he keeps on trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back