2018 Hyundai Accent 1.6 - well overdue oil change results

Just thought it might be worth sharing the results of this oil change. So not long ago an old friend posted up on facebook that she attempted to get her car serviced and the dealer refused to do it due to its previous poor service history. Well they would have done it with lots of additional charges for engine flushes etc... which was way out of the budget for this single mum. They also carried on like idiots and told her it was full of sludge and was likely going to fail after the oil change. I'm not to sure where they came up with that as a look inside the engine and I could find very little sludge (there was some, but not as much as you'd expect) - they probably didn't even open the bonnet
Long story short, 66,000km on the odo and it has only had one previous service in its life which was around 30,000km. I couldn't get an exact distance on the oil I drained out but it would have been at least 30,000km minimum on the oil. I took a sample mostly for ****s and giggles as I knew it was going to be bad. Oil condition itself was poor as you'd expect, however I was surprised by the lack of wear metals. I was expecting much worse to be honest.
Capture.JPG

I also cut open the filter, no indications of metal but was not surprisingly full of hard carbon grit.

Some of the metals are likely deposited in the varnish that was laid down inside the engine when the additive package was overwhelmed and the detergents could no longer keep them in suspension and the dispersants could no longer prevent agglomeration.

77ppm of iron is "lack of wear metal"?
its not that bad for 18000+ miles.

If it was blackstone would say tbn still over 1 try 20000 miles and check back? (ok I'm joking)

Surprising not horrid. I'd do a couple short oci and sample to see if it has a fuel issue.. maybe injectors leaking down?

That's exactly what's going to be happening;)
Damage is already done. No point in trying to fix mechanical wear and tear with oil flushes. 🤦🏻‍♂️ The minor sludge / varnish isn’t hurting a thing but making the oil go darker sooner.

I’d recommend just regular 3k oil changes going forward (to prevent the filter from plugging up as the new oil cleans) and to remove the contaminated oil sooner to try to extend engine life as much as possible by flushing out contaminants that it collects. 👍🏼

Don’t overthink it. We maintain sludged, barely running turds at work. All they need is on time oil changes and it will run just fine with all the sludge.

Just thought it might be worth sharing the results of this oil change. So not long ago an old friend posted up on facebook that she attempted to get her car serviced and the dealer refused to do it due to its previous poor service history. Well they would have done it with lots of additional charges for engine flushes etc... which was way out of the budget for this single mum. They also carried on like idiots and told her it was full of sludge and was likely going to fail after the oil change. I'm not to sure where they came up with that as a look inside the engine and I could find very little sludge (there was some, but not as much as you'd expect) - they probably didn't even open the bonnet
Long story short, 66,000km on the odo and it has only had one previous service in its life which was around 30,000km. I couldn't get an exact distance on the oil I drained out but it would have been at least 30,000km minimum on the oil. I took a sample mostly for ****s and giggles as I knew it was going to be bad. Oil condition itself was poor as you'd expect, however I was surprised by the lack of wear metals. I was expecting much worse to be honest.
View attachment 112090
I also cut open the filter, no indications of metal but was not surprisingly full of hard carbon grit.
Lol at massive fuel dilution, that's normal for those engines. I once had AutoZone ask me if I had mixed my oil with gasoline, I told them no, my engine did.

Damage is already done. No point in trying to fix mechanical wear and tear with oil flushes. 🤦🏻‍♂️ The minor sludge / varnish isn’t hurting a thing but making the oil go darker sooner.

I’d recommend just regular 3k oil changes going forward (to prevent the filter from plugging up as the new oil cleans) and to remove the contaminated oil sooner to try to extend engine life as much as possible by flushing out contaminants that it collects. 👍🏼

Don’t overthink it. We maintain sludged, barely running turds at work. All they need is on time oil changes and it will run just fine with all the sludge.
I'm only going to be doing the next 1 or two oil changes quickly and see how it looks , then it will be back to regular intervals.

Back