2018 Honda Accord 1.5 GDI-T UOA after 3500mi

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
So, things been pretty steady with the car. Just had a cold spell and hit the 3500 mi mark I had planned to do next oc after using Castrol Edge Black 0w20. Results are not a surprise to me. Actually not too far off from a sample I did a while back with Shaeffer 9000 0w20. Shaeffer sample did show a lot more molly and even more titanium than the Castrol. This sample has more fuel % but was run by Oil/Analyzers/Polaris with Gas Chromatagraph as opposed to the Blackstone sample. I plan to keep using Oil/Analyzers/Polaris as they seem a lot faster and use the GC machines. Seems like any lab doing this type work could at least use a GC machine.
DEC202-HONDA-ACCORD-1.5GDIT-CASTROL0W20EDGE2018.jpg

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 is the best oil for this engine.
“Best” is pretty subjective when any oil that meets the specs will deliver a statistically similar result…

With a fuel diluter GDI, you’re going to be limited by viscosity, fuel % and flashpoint long before todays oils would be “used up”. That pretty much levels the playing field.

Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 is the best oil for this engine.
(y)Mobil1 Advanced 0w30 is what WalMart had so that is what I settled for on this next run. I got a couple more pre paid sample kits I aim to send in to kind of keep track to see if anything make a difference. I have to admit already with the Castrol Edge and this present Mobil1 run the engine is totally quiet again. Can hardly hear it + the car is not throwing off all that heat like before when first parked in garage. That is a puzzle to me. Just took her on a nice 60 mile run and was reading 42mpg. Identical to when running 0w20vs the present 0w30. Have heard some say stuff about less
mpg with different grade oils. Have not experienced that before but anything possible. :)

(y)Mobil1 Advanced 0w30 is what WalMart had so that is what I settled for on this next run. I got a couple more pre paid sample kits I aim to send in to kind of keep track to see if anything make a difference. I have to admit already with the Castrol Edge and this present Mobil1 run the engine is totally quiet again. Can hardly hear it + the car is not throwing off all that heat like before when first parked in garage. That is a puzzle to me. Just took her on a nice 60 mile run and was reading 42mpg. Identical to when running 0w20vs the present 0w30. Have heard some say stuff about less
mpg with different grade oils. Have not experienced that before but anything possible. :)
Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 is not the same as the ESP 0w30. They have absolutely nothing in common.

“Best” is pretty subjective when any oil that meets the specs will deliver a statistically similar result…

With a fuel diluter GDI, you’re going to be limited by viscosity, fuel % and flashpoint long before todays oils would be “used up”. That pretty much levels the playing field.
Honda “spec” means nothing to me as they call for API SN and would never use an API 0w20 in this engine. Like I said The ESP 0w30 is best for this engine. HTHS of 3.5, low Noack, and will stay in grade with the fuel dilution in this engine.

Back