2017 Jaguar F-Type V6 oil choice (475 HP tune)

My F-Type Jaguar direct injection 3.0 V6 is getting a set of pulleys (upper and lower), the associated ECU tune and transmission tune, which allows the shift points to happen at redline. 84.5mm bore, 89 stroke.

The engine is in essence, a 90 deg V8 with the 2 aft pistons removed (yes, it's weird) But the result is utterly wonderful to drive. It's an absolute blast and makes wonderful noisy sports car engine sounds.

The OEM oil is 0W-20 Castrol Edge and it has a 48 gallon sump (holds nearly 9 quarts). The oil is barely up to the task for stock engines and there have been bearing problems, chain problems and early replacements. Those that modify these engines tend to go with a robust 5W-30. It should be known that the EARLIER V8 versions of this engine used 5W-40 and 10W-40 oil. And that the crank and rod bearings are the same as the V8.

maxresdefault.jpg

The pulley change raises the boost levels from 14 to 20PSI. While the redline is 7000, the transmission shifts early, at 6000 to 6500. In stock form, the torque drops off markedly at about 6000. So the changes raise the shift points, and enable proper fueling up to redline. This adds quite a bit of stress to the rod bearings.

Hr1Chv1.jpg

If you’re wanting the best… I’d think @OVERKILL and @High Performance Lubricants would steer you towards the SuperCar 0w40…

Hey I don't care what you put into the crankcase, I just wanna go for a ride!
You'll have to drive it, while I like to drive like a complete idiot at times, never with others around and never with a passenger.

On a serious note, I'll consider HPL, but my local Walmart is typically where I get M1. I'm an ex Mobil Oil employee and I know how good their oils can be.

You'll have to drive it, while I like to drive like a complete idiot at times, never with others around and never with a passenger.

On a serious note, I'll consider HPL, but my local Walmart is typically where I get M1. I'm an ex Mobil Oil employee and I know how good their oils can be.
Then make it easy, Mobil 1 0W-40 is an excellent oil.

The pulley change raises the boost levels from 14 to 20PSI. While the redline is 7000, the transmission shifts early, at 6000 to 6500. In stock form, the torque drops off markedly at about 6000. So the changes raise the shift points, and enable proper fueling up to redline. This adds quite a bit of stress to the rod bearings.

Hr1Chv1.jpg
Wow! That is a sharp looking car! Do you take it up north, or keep it in Florida? I would be tempted to use a 15W40 in it for the reduced Viscosity Index improver polymers. Maybe even a 10w30 HPL oil?

Never going to argue with you that Mobil makes some good stuff, and that shelf-stock oils are typically alluring to the average Joe to avoid having to “schedule” maintenance. However, you probably know too that Mobil likely starts off with a given shelf price in mind, and may use a lower-tier additive that will still meet the spec, but leaves some ultimate performance on the table.

When you remove the price point as the overarching theme and ask for the best formula, it’s hard to beat the performance, availability, and overall package of what’s nearly a custom-blended oil for you. Maybe give it a shot and see how the Big Cat likes it?

Wow! That is a sharp looking car! Do you take it up north, or keep it in Florida? I would be tempted to use a 15W40 in it for the reduced Viscosity Index improver polymers. Maybe even a 10w30 HPL oil?
Thanks, it's a Florida toy. I don't think it's ever heading North, hell, I'm at the point where I may not go North either. Over the years I've had some really fun and fast cars. The Jag falls short in the power department, but it's way up on the fun scale. It fits my personality well, which is not lowering the top and driving slowly to the beach. It's driving the stupid thing relentlessly on the empty roads around the everglades behind my house and racing out to the airport. The salesman asked me, "what are you trying to do, break it" and I was taking it easy...

Today I purchased the Stage 3 tune and tuner, crank pulley, supercharger pulley, belt, and transmission tune and tuner. Should be fun and put the car exactly where it needs to be with regard to acceleration, solidly in the 12 second range.
VEL-JLR5.0SCPULLEY-MOD.jpg

VEL-JAGFTYPEV6CPTUNE-2.jpg

Back