2017 Hyundai accent vs 2017 Chevy sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned a '13 Accent hatch with the 6 speed manual for almost five years...I think the Sonic and Accent are similar in some ways and different in others. Maybe like many, the Sonic was the first GM small car that I ever looked at seriously. Here are some of my observations:

1) There's a sizable curb weight difference between the two which will allow for better gas mileage at some level of reduced protection. Sonic has a bit more of a "bigger car" ride.

2) The Sonic is a bit better highway cruiser but the Accent is not far behind. Both ride well. To me, it comes down to what rpm I'm doing at 70 mph all else being equal.

3) There's a significant enough difference in performance between the auto and manual in the Accent, so if you have the option to go with the manual I would definitely try it. It seems 3-4 MPG between the transmission choices is not unusual and the Accent was even noted as being one of the few cars remaining where there still IS an mpg disparity.

4) The Gamma engine is smooth with good power and I've heard good things about the shifting of the auto transmission. Clutch is numb without much of a friction point and a small amount of resistance which makes it an easy commuter.

5) The Accent 1.6 has direct injection, dual CVVT, roller timing chain, smart alternator, etc. and is pretty modern with regards to engine technology. No turbo. Reduced LSPI "freak out".

6) I've haven't had to do anything to it in repairs and the only items I've done are regular oil changes and new tires. I can get 40 mpg with the manual on a long trip but typically get about 32-33 combined with 50/50 city-highway driving.

So, I say Accent either in auto or manual guise. '17 is the last year of the hatchback for the US - I definitely like having a 21 cu. foot trunk with the back seats up. The '18 Accent is coming out soon and although they've updated it a bit, I wouldn't pass up a deal on a '17.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule

Ok. I have to call bull on this. The Sonic is NOT a Korean product. Your Daddy's Accent needed sway bar links and It's only 3 yrs old?. If that was a domestic branded car then that would be unacceptable. Since its a Hyundai.....well it's ok. Your friend has a Sonic that had warning lights on since she bought it.......I call bull. How were both cars treated? Surely not the same. I will wager a big big guess and say that your female friend abused and neglected the Sonic. Given that the story is true, which I doubt. The anti domestic bias is on full display.

Read the WIKI. The current generation Sonic was developed by GM Korea. I will concede that it's a "world car" and is built many places, but so was the Aveo.

Her Sonic was a CPO and has been dealer maintained since she got it. She barely got 15k out of it before It started going south.

As far as sway bar links go, if you saw the tooth pick links that are installed on cars now a days combined with the terrible condition of the roads in the Twin Cities, you wouldn't be questioning this. I do more links on newer cars at the shop than I can count. One good pot hole and the joints are shot and start to rattle.

What does domestic vs. import have to do with it? What about all the new Ford Explorers and Taurus' that has junk strut top plates at 30k? Or the Chevy Cruze's that eat thermostats and water outlets like Skittles?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!

How many Cruze owners here had a thermostat issue? … first I heard of it and at 92k now …

So what exactly does eating a thermostat mean?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Chevrolet has never made a good small car in house. I have enjoyed several GM/Chevrolet products over the years so I am not anti. They have always had to farm out small cars from either Toyota, Daewoo, Suzuki etc. Any sub compact they try simply stinks. The Aveo is a prime example....
crackmeup2.gif

My brother had an previous generation Accent. When you look up vehicle torture test, his picture is beside the definition. He is the toughest guy on vehicles I have ever met. He beat that Accent like a rented mule...running it for days without shut off, bumpy dirt roads sleeping in it, storing plumbing tools in huge lock box in the back bouncing around...He couldn't break it. He did this for 4 years. The Accent only perished due to an incident with semi backing onto it.

If the new one is anything like the previous, it would be the choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsflYVV3s0 (6:35, Then around 9:20)
(30 minutes of straight red-line and the engine catches on fire and is still running)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
How many Cruze owners here had a thermostat issue? … first I heard of it and at 92k now …

So what exactly does eating a thermostat mean?

Between the water outlet on the head and the electric thermostat I've seen at least a dozen in the last year. Just last week I did 2 water outlets and a 'stat. It's very common. It's only the 1.4t I see issues with, the 1.8 seems very solid.

The water outlet that's on the driver's side of the cylinder head has a nasty habit of cracking. You'll know when it happens, look for coolant all over your transmission. If/when that fails ALEAYS replace the steam hose running from the housing to the coolant reservoir. The quick connect WILL break when you remove it.

As for the thermostat, that gives no warning until either the check engine light comes on with a coolant temp code or (more likely) you overheat out of nowhere.

Ok thanks … you know P/N … I’ve been pondering what PM work to do at 100k …
(Been doing ATF already)

Like this:

Last edited:
Yup that's the water outlet. The steam hose I referred to connects to the port with the clip on it, shown in the picture.

The thermostat assembly looks similiar. Neither is difficult to replace, or terribly expensive. Since a coolant due for a change, if you haven't already, you might as well do both those assemblies at the same time. You'll need inverted torx sockets for the job.

Thanks … I’ll gather parts … coolant was done once but I’ll grab some anyway …

My Journey has a similar thermostat housing with 2 thermostats in it, they make an all metal version and when I replaced both thermostats I changed it over to the metal housing. (In case you are wondering why 2 thermostats, they run the cylinder head at a hotter 212F temperature and the block at 195)

Just in case they make one for the Sonic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
The water outlet that's on the driver's side of the cylinder head has a nasty habit of cracking. You'll know when it happens, look for coolant all over your transmission. If/when that fails ALEAYS replace the steam hose running from the housing to the coolant reservoir. The quick connect WILL break when you remove it.

As for the thermostat, that gives no warning until either the check engine light comes on with a coolant temp code or (more likely) you overheat out of nowhere.

Everything you say is exactly right. I've done these repairs on a couple cruzes and actually a Sonic with the same 1.4T. I think after 2012 things were ok. Don't forget the valve cover that has the integral PCV that goes bad, sets codes and you have to replace the whole valve cover. Thankfully the part is very cheap and easy to replace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back