2017 Ford GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
That does not mean performance cars should all contain Chevy Small Blocks. Turbo's have their place in my world.

Some can do quite well enough killing high-zoot, multi-million buck supacars, using BOTH of the above (see Mosler MT900 GTR).
smile.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Set the way-back machine to the mid to late '80's when turbo V6's were dominating IMSA. The Nissan GTP won every race in 1988 with a 3.0L SOHC 2-valve V6 turbo. I never heard how much power that engine made, but it was reputed to be over 800.

The Corvette GTP was powered by a pushrod 90-degree 3.0L V6, and had ~780 HP at something like 7800 rpm. It won a few races, but they never got it to go the distance in the Daytona 24-hr. I talked to Ryan Falconer (the engine builder) at the Miami Boat Show about 15 years ago. He said he tested that engine at 1300 HP, uncorrected. I was so agog, I forgot to ask him how much boost that took.

Yup, and the Ford RS200 Cosworth was purported to make 700-800HP in "race trim" as well. The street version was HEAVILY detuned.

Well, at least in Evolution 2.2 liter Euro Rallycross "race trim", it was that much.
eek.gif

The FIA would have handed Ford their heads IF they ever caught them running that much power in Group B WRC trim.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
The point is Ford have the resources and R&D capacity to make more power from less displacement and still be as reliable as anything else. And in a fast car, more power and less weight are only attractive features.

If you take 200bhp/litre as an achievable and reliable production engine figure, the ttv6 should make at least 700. Plus Fords economic might and ability to innovate should put at least 20% on top of that, so 850 ish.

Although I understand what you are getting at, remember that this car has to be 'warrantable', and boost levels must be kept at 'idiot proof' (just in case
wink.gif
) pressures.

500-1500 crank hp out of a 2 liter I4 does NOT a street driven, PUMP GAS fueled, reliable car make!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc

You don't need a V8 for that much power. Mazda has a racing engine (2.3L) that puts out over 1000 HP. They probably wanted 600 HP for the balance they were looking for.

I get it. There are non-street/production engines that do this. But this is a semi production car, no? With a warranty and some semblance of longevity? And ford has a pipeline of ecoboost engines plus an aging V10, no?

So thats my only interest. I get it that lots of power can be made lots of different ways. Just curious that they didnt try a bigger engine, which makes me still think that mass plays in from vehicle dynamics point of view. Plus the 3.5L is probably the one they want to get the numbers on, since they will sell it in lots of other vehicles...

I'd rather have the flat plane V8 with an exhaust because that would sound more interesting and fun at street legal speeds. Which is where 95% of these cars spend their lives...

Also a slower but more fun manual gear shift.

That way you can have fun dragging 1st to 2nd getting up on the highway, before you lose your license at the top of 4th...

Last edited:
No v8? No thank you!
Yes the twin turbo 3.5 V6 efficiently kicks out tons of power but the GT should always have a V8 in my opinion! They should have used the supercharged 5.0 or the new flat plane crank V8 from the GT350. The TTV6 has it's place but should be shoved in something else not called the GT
But hey, that's just my opinion :p

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting. Wonder why they didn't use a different engine, like an ecoboost v8 that gave real top of the line numbers... Weight perhaps?

That's funny, my first thought was to ditch the turbos and run a pair of 3.5 V6's. Not sure if anyone else is running a V12. But that would set it apart.

Just seems like the sort of car that deserves a V12. Just for the exhaust note. Although a flat plae V8 would do.

A V12 would be nice, but where would they get one? Jaguar - gone, and that V12 hasn't been made in almost twenty years. Cosworth, who built the nice, modern, Duratec based V12? - gone.

And what else could they do with one, to justify the development cost of a new engine? Jaguar - gone. Aston Martin - gone.

Lincoln? LOL.

Ford has always been a V8 company.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
No v8? No thank you!
Yes the twin turbo 3.5 V6 efficiently kicks out tons of power but the GT should always have a V8 in my opinion! They should have used the supercharged 5.0 or the new flat plane crank V8 from the GT350. The TTV6 has it's place but should be shoved in something else not called the GT
But hey, that's just my opinion :p

You can just add me to this list.

V6 noises from that car? Complete deal breaker...

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Anyone remember the last V-6 supercar: the Acura NSX?

Its back

2015-acura-nsx-12_zpsf62e11bc.jpg

Originally Posted By: JDW

Its back

thumbsup2.gif
Can't wait until 2015 NYIAS.

Is it a V-6, as well? Maybe Turbo-ized somehow?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

A turbo 6 can be made to sound great.... even if it doesn't match what most of us perceive to be the character of this car.

Originally Posted By: JDW

Its back

That's one of the concept car versions. It's similar -but not identical to- the version they just unveiled. Note what appears to be frosted headlight lenses in your photo. They look cool, but they aren't functioning headlights.

I haven't kept up too much on the NSX, but it appears the one they just unveiled in Detroit is the production version, or at least is much closer to the production version.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-acura-nsx-detroit-2015/

03-2016-acura-nsx-detroit-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I haven't kept up too much on the NSX, but it appears the one they just unveiled in Detroit is the production version, or at least is much closer to the production version.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-acura-nsx-detroit-2015/

03-2016-acura-nsx-detroit-1.jpg

To be Built In Marysville, OH. in a Part of the Honda Plant that used to be Motorcycle Production, now retooled and called the " Performance Manufacturing Center "

Originally Posted By: Mykl

A turbo 6 can be made to sound great.... even if it doesn't match what most of us perceive to be the character of this car.

Sorry, but it's an intensely personal choice. You still get to buy whatever you want.

IMO while the V6 can sound ok, it isn't even similar to a real 90 degree V8...

For those who say a TT V6 wont cut it, what about the Noble M400. Basically a Ford Duratec with twin turbos. Thanks dailydriver for reminding me.

Sorry, but it's an intensely personal choice. You still get to buy whatever you want.

Sure, if you have a very specific taste and you'll only have that, then there you go.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't some really nice sounding V-6 engines out there. I like to think that Ford understands that sound has to be a part of the experience of this car, and has worked at it.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
For those who say a TT V6 wont cut it, what about the Noble M400. Basically a Ford Duratec with twin turbos. Thanks dailydriver for reminding me.
Or check out a Nissan SKyline GT-R. straight six TT. Or a newer GT-R for a V6 TT. Yeah boy!

Originally Posted By: Mykl

Sure, if you have a very specific taste and you'll only have that, then there you go.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't some really nice sounding V-6 engines out there. I like to think that Ford understands that sound has to be a part of the experience of this car, and has worked at it.

The Jag F-type has a very nice sounding supercharged V6, it probably could be mistaken for a high output V8 as its got the same throaty sound. It does seem to have more flywheel effect as it is slower to rev up and down which maybe because of the V6 requiring more crank balancing?
Personally I find lots of cars don't quite rev high enough to sound really nice, but I grew up with peaky two strokes and watching 12 cyl F1 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back