2017 crv using oil.

My mother in laws car seems to be using oil in her crv 2.4. It takes 0w20. Would using a synthetic blend burn less? I’ve tried all brands of full synthetic except for Castrol.

Make sure it isn't your pcv valve first, but sure you could try full synthetic castrol.

an oil no matter if blend or not wont help that much with oil burning, its a newer car so synthetic oils are probably what it is supposed to tolerate.

I guess I was wondering if you were saying that old cars can’t tolerate synthetic?
They definitely can, I have ran synthetics in really old cars with no problem.
Theres nothing special in engines that prevents running synthetic, especially modern synthetics than those from the past

No, not really.

Some oil usage is normal.
How much oil is the car using and over what mileage interval?

What are her driving conditions?
Short/long trips.
City/highway.
High speed/towing.
Etc, etc, etc.....
She’s gone about 4K out of a 5k oci. Was down about a quart of oil. It was worse before changing the pcv valve. Only seems to happen with the 2.4. Even my moms 14 crv does the same and that have port injection, not direct injection like the 17

She’s gone about 4K out of a 5k oci. Was down about a quart of oil. It was worse before changing the pcv valve. Only seems to happen with the 2.4. Even my moms 14 crv does the same and that have port injection, not direct injection like the 17
Do you think its a fuel dilution issue? If its out of warranty try to use 5w20 first, castrol gtx may come to mind if its available.

You could try a thicker oil : 5w30/0w30, 0w40. I vote for Castrol Edge 5w30 LL.

Do you think its a fuel dilution issue? If its out of warranty try to use 5w20 first, castrol gtx may come to mind if its available.
What difference is 5w20 going to make compared to 0w20?

Not terrible. Try a 5W20 synthetic. Not sure why, but I have noticed that 5W20's result in less oil consumption than 0W20's.

I think I’ll try 0w20 Castrol edge high mileage first before going to 5w20. I’ll throw on a wix this time for good measure too(lol won’t make a difference) actually thinking of going to fram after I use my stock of wix. Since fram makes Oem Honda filters anyway

We had a port injection 2.4 in my wife’s old 2011 Accord. That was a great engine and I don’t remember ever having to add oil. I used M1 AFE 0w20 and changed when the maintenance minder said so, which was around 10k miles. Unless that CRV has a ton of miles, has been neglected, or has atypical use, it shouldn’t be using oil.

the oil itself can be more stable in high temperatures and causing little to no oil burning.

I've tried 0w20 in my honda odessey 2006 and it burned around a quart versus none with 5w20

When it comes to fuel dilution, the more thicker cold start weights are they can be tolerant to fuel dilution, and alot of times 5w20 is a very popular oil that manufacturers blend for use in gdi engines

Back