2017 crv using oil.

When it comes to fuel dilution, the more thicker cold start weights are they can be tolerant to fuel dilution, and alot of times 5w20 is a very popular oil that manufacturers blend for use in gdi engines
But unless it is -35F or so, the 0W-20 may be thicker than a 5W-20. What "cold start" temperatures are you referring to?

The only way you will effectively counter fuel dilution with a more viscous oil is going to be with a higher grade.

So you’re saying the 5W-20 is thicker than the 0W-20 at 70-75F and this will help to counter fuel dilution?
No, In my experience of running 5w20 in gdi engines I've seen more tolerable fuel dilution in the oil

I personally wouldnt be using thicker oil in it because its only going to increase engine wear. I would stick to the grade of oil that Honda suggests and if it needs some every now and then, simply add oil to the engine.
With the tighter tolorances of modern engines and with variable valve timing that relies on oil pressure, using thicker oil to mitigate oil consumption issues is a no-no.
As for using semi-synthetic, I dont think you are going to find a 0w-20 semi syn oil.

I personally wouldnt be using thicker oil in it because its only going to increase engine wear. I would stick to the grade of oil that Honda suggests and if it needs some every now and then, simply add oil to the engine.
With the tighter tolorances of modern engines and with variable valve timing that relies on oil pressure, using thicker oil to mitigate oil consumption issues is a no-no.
As for using semi-synthetic, I dont think you are going to find a 0w-20 semi syn oil.
This would be definitely an issue , but the vvt problems start to happen with using a different cold start weight, but when hot threes no issue's regarding clearances or vvt, bearing clearances are more tolerant to thicker oils when in operating temperature than oil shearing.

Alot of these asian vehicles in other countries specify different oils for their climate, in the us it is due to cafe regulations, though 0w20 and 5w20 have been used for years with proven minimal wear.

Castrol ultra clean

Attachments

• DD4FD51D-111A-4E49-9D76-58B44AF18B53.jpeg
    DD4FD51D-111A-4E49-9D76-58B44AF18B53.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 14
Thicker oils do not increase wear, they prevent it. Thinner oils increase wear due to a decreased MOFT.

And the engine’s tolerances has nothing to do with it.

Thicker oil doesn't increase wear. Manufactures say "use 0w20 for best fuel economy." Have you ever seen them say the 0w20 provides better wear protection?

She’s gone about 4K out of a 5k oci. Was down about a quart of oil. It was worse before changing the pcv valve. Only seems to happen with the 2.4. Even my moms 14 crv does the same and that have port injection, not direct injection like the 17
All engines use oil and your usage isn't that bad. Did you check the breather side of the PCV system?

Switching from Mobil 1 5W-20 to Castrol Edge (black bottle) 5W-20 cut oil consumption in half on my 2009 Chrysler minivan (3.8L V6). I noticed the difference instantly on the first oil change. So, you could give Castrol a try on your next oil change.

Switched to SuperTech 5W-20 a year before I sold it. Oil consumption jumped back to the same as it was with Mobil 1.

I only use Xw30 and Xw40 in my 5w20 rated vehicle. I'm using (mostly) 5w20 in my wife's 0w20 rated vehicle. No ill effects noted.

Back