2017 Camry SE or 2017 Subaru Forester Prem 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
I've been weighing the pros and cons of each vehicle to make my next DD for the next 10 plus years. I live in the snow belt, so the Subaru's AWD would be appreciated. Although my play it safe side says to buy the Camry,and a set of winter tires. Both models are later in their generation cycle, so you would think most of the bugs have been worked out. Although when scouring the internets you find a lot of red flags when it comes to the Subaru 2.5 and oil consumption. Also that the 2.5 is old technology with just a mild updating in 20 years of production. I would be fine with that if you still didn't hear about some oil consumption issues here and there. (not to mention the class action lawsuit involving he 11-15's) I've been told the issues have been addressed from a Subaru Mechanic which I know, and a salesman I've been dealing with. The Camry on the other hand at this point in the last year of its current generation seems to be bulletproof. I've also been considering a brand new 2016 VW Sportwagen that has been sitting on my local VW lot. They have gave me a really good price on it. IM apprehensive buying a VW though, when you think of long term reliability you never think Volkswagan.

Opinions welcomed!

Both great vehicles.

I'd make the decision based on whether you want a sedan or 5-door vehicle. I'm an ex-Forester owner, and won't be going back to sedans again.

If your a worry-wort, skip the VW. It's definitely a more useful vehicle and probably a better driver, but it's a 2016 model and not for people that worry about reliability. The Subaru head gasket issue of old is no more. I had a WRX before my GTI which was a great car and stupid reliable. My wife racked up a ton of work miles on the WRX before we sold it. The only issue it had was a clutch slave cylinder going bad, which was a $20 fix from a rebuild kit at the dealer. MY VW has had $1700 worth of repairs, repairs I fixed myself. I like my VW better than my WRX and can afford afford to fix it. I'd rather have a Subaru than a Camry. I'd get snow tires regardless if you get a Camry or a Subaru. The lake effect snow in Cleveland is no joke.

I'd expect a better life out a Toyota 4, then a Boxer 4 in the long term. Easier to work on too down the road if you are going the long haul.

For the right price I'd buy the Toyota personally.

Congrats on your 1st post, stick around no matter what you buy.

Last edited:
BTW, I live in Columbus and got my VW at Ganley up by you. I know they have a Subaru dealer and is my go to dealer for the best price, even though they are 100+ miles away.

Hi Lunch box,
New FB25 engine is totally different from the previous generation of EJ25's.
I just bought a 2017 Outback and did quite a bit of research. Yes, Subaru had some issues prior to 2015
I think Subaru used low tension piston rings on earlier FB25 engine with severe oil consumption issues.
I believe Subaru addressed this issues and I don't expect to see any oil consumption on mine.
My brother's Impreza with FB20 engine doesn't not burn a drop of oil at 30K miles.

Jonathan

Last edited:
My 2016 Outback 2.5 has been perfect. The engine is a new design and I think other than plugs it easy to work on. You can change all the oils at home if you want to, even the CVT. I like that mine doesn't have a turbo or DI.

The Toyota should prove very reliable, but the VW would be a more fun daily driver. I would even consider a Passat R-Line if I were you, they can be had for little money and are very nice all around cars. They are quite the value as well.

Get the Toyota if you want 10 "trouble free" years. Get the VW if you don't mind fixing a quirk here and there. You should be able to make it to 10 years on either if well maintained.

Get the Camry,more reliable and easier to work on. If Momma ain't happy,ain't no one Happy!

I have a 2016 Camry SE that I bought new about a year ago. My Thoughts :

It is a very nice car, If a bit boring.
If you get the Black interior, get the allweather mats. The carpeted mats show every bit of dirt and dust.
The factory Bridgestone tires wear quickly and are noisy.
Mine has had ZERO problems. Only back to the dealer once for a free oil change.
Right now you can probably get around $4000 off of sticker on a new one if you shop around a bit.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Oh, WELCOME !

P.S. The SE is a stiffer ride than the other models. You may want the softer and smoother ride of the other Camry models.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If your a worry-wort, skip the VW. It's definitely a more useful vehicle and probably a better driver, but it's a 2016 model and not for people that worry about reliability. The Subaru head gasket issue of old is no more. I had a WRX before my GTI which was a great car and stupid reliable. My wife racked up a ton of work miles on the WRX before we sold it. The only issue it had was a clutch slave cylinder going bad, which was a $20 fix from a rebuild kit at the dealer. MY VW has had $1700 worth of repairs, repairs I fixed myself. I like my VW better than my WRX and can afford afford to fix it. I'd rather have a Subaru than a Camry. I'd get snow tires regardless if you get a Camry or a Subaru. The lake effect snow in Cleveland is no joke.

There ^ you have it in a nutshell. Print a copy and keep it in your wallet.

Personal preference as 10 years/150k for Toyota or Subaru is typically event free.

Two distinctly different vehicles in form, usefulness and comfort levels.

Camry has reliability pedigree, Passat has fun to drive pedigree, Forester has all-weather pedigree. What's most important to you? If 10 years of almost trouble free driving are it...

Lunchbox, do you HAVE to go out even when it's snowing?
If yes, then I'd recommend the Forester.
If not, pick the vehicle that better meets your general driving needs. My wife insists on a sedan, so I end up buying wagons or smaller SUVs so I can carry things...a boring Outback, then a "RAV6" followed by a turbo Forester that were/are pretty fun. I will only buy AWD due to our weather and hills and run snows on whatever I am driving because I don't want fear of snow to keep me from skiing.
If you do go with the Forester, I'd recommend immediately replacing the OEM all seasons if you will not be running snows...I drove my new Forester XT in 2 inches of snow after a surprise spring storm and it was terrifying. Subara's OEM tires are getting to have a terrible reputation for winter performance, and how stupid is that for a brand that uses bad weather performance as a selling point??

Toyota >> Subaru.
The Toyota should have a timing chain or a belt with non-interference engine. With the Subaru, it's probably a timing belt with an interference engine. That alone would be enough for me to avoid the Subaru.

My youngest son lives in Phoenix. He bought a new 2014 model Forrester in early 2015. He likes it very much. He has 2 car seats for the kids. I visited him for a week earlier this month. I was impressed. Nice all around vehicle, great gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Toyota >> Subaru.
The Toyota should have a timing chain or a belt with non-interference engine. With the Subaru, it's probably a timing belt with an interference engine. That alone would be enough for me to avoid the Subaru.
Our Foresters have been much better than the Rav4, though I liked driving the rav4 better. That rav4 was toast after 58K miles of NE winters. Water pump, clutch hydraulic,, engine knocking rear shocks blown, exhaust rusted out.

The new impreza is very roomy - check it out. A % door "premiaum" shpuld be a good car.

My Subaru Forester uses no measurable oil in 7500 mile OCIs. People should make selections among cars based on what attributes they consider most important. Long term reliability and lowest operating cost would probably be in favor of the Camry. Nimble handling and all weather capabilities would be in favor of the Forester. Safety maybe in favor of the Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back