2016 Nissan Quest rust on rear hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: JTK
Nick, the collision shop associated with this Nissan dealership would be doing the work.
If you have them do their work, make sure you understand their warranty. They might guarantee it for life, or 1 year.

I'll be curious to see what their warranty is. I don't have real high expectations there if they're paying 90% on an out of warranty repair. It will be a while before I get the van in. I'll be closer to 60K miles on the ticker by the time I get it in. They're letting me call back in April to schedule a date to get this done.

Whatever, it only has to last until a rust free rear hatch in your colour becomes available for a price you want to pay.
It will almost certainly come back, I highly doubt they will do the things mentioned in this thread to stop it from coming back (clearancing the part that is rubbing). They will probably just sand the rust off and repaint which will be good for a few years.

EDIT: Guaranteed the part rubbed through the paint during rental service, then immediately started rusting when exposed to a corrosive atmosphere. Did you oil spray?

Last edited:
I finally got this repair done and picked the van up from my local Nissan dealership last night. Total cost to me was $53.34. The lift gate looks like new. I have no idea what actions they took to prevent this from happening again, but when I spoke with the body shop originally, they claimed they use something like 3M tape or foam between the trim piece and paint to keep it from happening again. I can't tell and have low expectations given what the repair cost me.

They wouldn't fix the chipped paint and rust on the lower leading edge of the right side slider door under this campaign unfortunately. The lower corner of the door sticks out slightly (slight out of adjustment), so that edge catches just enough spray kicked up from the front right wheel to damage the paint. The estimate for that was over $700. :facepalm: They gave me a jar of touch up paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back