2016 Honda CRV - Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danh
As others have said, trying another oil brand may be worth a try.

I have a 2015 CRV and I have noticed oil level is extremely sensitive to temperature and time allowed to drain. Honda says to check hot with a 3 minute drain-down period. If I do this and the oil is at the full mark, the next morning it will be about 1/4 inch lower on the dipstick. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how much oil is needed to move the dipstick from the bottom to top mark. Not saying you don't have some consumption, but these issues could be a factor.

Honda's K24 oil consumption issues have been attributed to 1) too-infrequent oil changes and 2) excessive engine revs when cold, so more of an owner issue than design flaw. With the age of your CRV and driving habits you shouldn't fall into that category.

All that said, even if consumption is 1 qt/5,000 miles it's hardly a serious issue. We'd all like consumption to be zero, but it won't always happen.

Stop apologizing for Honda. It is a design flaw. Stop trying to blame owners.

Brand-new engines consume a lot of oil the first few thousand miles before they break in. It goes away in the second OCI.

Gokham may be right or it could be the vagaries of your reading. I would try a thicker 5w-20 like Castrol's Magnatic and see if that works. If not I would seriously look at cutting your loss and selling.

Originally Posted By: VetteElite
Originally Posted By: Danh
As others have said, trying another oil brand may be worth a try.

I have a 2015 CRV and I have noticed oil level is extremely sensitive to temperature and time allowed to drain. Honda says to check hot with a 3 minute drain-down period. If I do this and the oil is at the full mark, the next morning it will be about 1/4 inch lower on the dipstick. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how much oil is needed to move the dipstick from the bottom to top mark. Not saying you don't have some consumption, but these issues could be a factor.

Honda's K24 oil consumption issues have been attributed to 1) too-infrequent oil changes and 2) excessive engine revs when cold, so more of an owner issue than design flaw. With the age of your CRV and driving habits you shouldn't fall into that category.

All that said, even if consumption is 1 qt/5,000 miles it's hardly a serious issue. We'd all like consumption to be zero, but it won't always happen.

Stop apologizing for Honda. It is a design flaw. Stop trying to blame owners.

Yup. Look at my other posts. Biggest Honda apologist. Ever. But in this case, I think Honda may have a point.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
LOL, the 1 qt/1000 is the "standard" Honda created during their defense (and eventual settlement) of the VCM class action lawsuit. You are correct to be upset because it is not "normal" no matter how much Honda and their puppet dealers claim it to be. Do not be afraid to experiment with different oils. M1 0W oils have reduced wear protection additives to achieve lower cold temp viscosities. I've had AFE 0W-30 burn off 1/5000 in my V8 truck during winter usage.

I heard a quart of oil per thousand miles was considered normal for as far back as I can remember when it came to warranty work. Then after working at various dealerships I learned oil use was based on a sliding scale if the service writer was good, and the car was under warranty.

Example: Customer: My car uses oil. Service writer: How much? Customer: A quart every 700-800 miles. Service writer: That's nothing to worry about sir. Bottom line, at about a quart every 500 miles they might look into it.

Now if you brought a car in that was out of warranty, it would be a totally different story. A very costly story.

The k24 does tend to burn some oil, but it is also somewhat dependent on the year and the mileage. I've heard a few horror stories of 2013 models having oil burning issues. My 07 with the k24 burns about a quart every 1,250 or so. But it also has quite a few more miles than yours, I'm sure. It's annoying, but not the end of the world. My friend also has an 07 Accord with the k24 like mine and his burns about a quart every 3 or 4 thousand. But his also has 1/4 the mileage. My 08 Scion tC also burned quite a bit of oil, but not quite this much. About 1 quart every 2,500. That one only had around 100k on it, though. The 07-09 Toyota 2AZ-FE was known for oil burning.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Brand-new engines consume a lot of oil the first few thousand miles before they break in. It goes away in the second OCI.

Gokham may be right or it could be the vagaries of your reading. I would try a thicker 5w-20 like Castrol's Magnatic and see if that works. If not I would seriously look at cutting your loss and selling.

I've owned several new cars and none have burned or consumed any oil.

With the honing process now with the asperities resembling mesas instead of mountains the break in procedure and subsequent oil consumption shouldn't be as severe as in the past. I've never had an oil guzzler either in my 25+ years of new car ownership, however, I've always performed a couple of oil changes early before settling into a schedule so the potential was always there but I wasn't aware of it.

Agree. I do a change at the 1000 mile mark and then the next will put it on the schedule I choose. Machining is so much better these days than when I started 40 some odd years ago. There is still a break in process not only with the engine but the transmissions and diffs.

Better oils to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back