2016 Honda CRV - Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi y'all car gurus;

A quick question, and your opinion needed, of course:
I am approaching 10k on my CRV, and I'm noticing use of engine oil; I'd say 1qt per 5k;
Any concern that I should/shouldn't have please; I used M1 0w - 20 at 5K;

I Thank You

Last edited:
If someone told me that at a dealership before I bought a car from them, I would walk. No way is 1qt in 1000 miles normal. How could it pass the EPA standards for emissions?

Do you have the 2.4? This engine is know to drink a little bit of oil but also to fuel dilute the oil. Try a different brand. M1 and PP drank oil. Try Valvoline, Castrol or Pennzoil Gold.
I have been playing with different brands to see which one it likes the most. Mine seems to like Valvoline HighMileage, Castrol Magnatec, edge and Pennzoil Gold.

To the original poster, make sure your drain plug and filter are on tight. One quart in 5k is not the end of the world but for a new vehicle I personally would expect very little to zero oil consumption. Mention it to the dealership next time you are in.

Thanks for your valuable inputs;

It is 2.4l and very first day I had it the oil level at the dipstick was at the top; to me that was surprising, I'd like keep it within the range on my other cars; but now I do see why it is the way it is...

You buy a brand new because you don't want to be bothered with some silly stuff but I was wrong apparently; It is [censored].
Honestly, It is my last Honda and the last new car altogether; meanwhile, I enjoy my 08 Mazda with no oil consumption!

miden851: This will most likely be my last Honda also. The engine is sub par. EPA estimates are 34 MPG I have tried to get it the closest I have ever come is 29MPG. Usually its only about 25MPG. All Highway.

Secondly this car has a battery about the size of a lawn mower battery. I once was listening to music for 30mins with the lights turned off. Battery completely dead. Im gonna try to fit a bigger battery in.

Thirdly the car has a terrible shake at stops. Thank You CVT!

My Jetta has better dependability than this. No fuel dilution problems. Gets EPA sometimes even better. No oil drinkage. I really feel like Honda's dependability has gone out the window. 1990s were a great time for bullet proof Hondas. Those 90s Civics and Accords easily reach 300k miles.

I think we are gonna look at Toyotas next since they dont have the CVT.

Also my Honda dealership is a joke. And to top it off Honda America won't do [censored] for it.

Last edited:
1qt per 1000miles is not normal.

My Camry was a little low on oil after 5k miles and had me worried but it's good now. Goes down about an 1/8inch on the dipstick per 10k miles.

Lots of valuable information here from y'all!!

This car we bought for my wife; and I knew it from stepping in, it is an econobox; I don't mind slight vibration at the traffic stop, neither the sound of gas pump from it's back nor the sound of CVT;

But God Almighty, it sets me off the oil check up and the aggravation that comes with it in a new car; but if it were for me I would have picked a Mazda again but it wouldn't be a brand new one...

Last edited:
I have an 03 CRV and consume oil only when I drive in the high rpm range. If I drive at 5,000 rpm or above most of the time, my vehicle will guzzle oil. A lot of people with Hondas do complain about their vehicles drinking oil if they drive in the higher rpms range. I'm sure you don't beat your relatively new CRV so I see no reason why you should guzzle oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Another possibility here is that your rings haven't set in yet. What's your driving routine like?

Ditto. Maybe inadequate break in procedure?

OP - You gotta floor it sometimes! Have some fun!

I know the mfg says 1 qt every 1k miles is "normal" but I'd be upset if my new car needed a top off.

Although a different engine, I carefully broke in my Pilot for the first 500 miles and left the factory oil in until the MM went off - as instructed by the owner's manual. Now 40k miles later, the car doesn't use a drop of oil - even though these VCM engines are known to burn oil and foul plugs.

No need to get too excited. Your engine will last 250,000 miles at 1 qt. per 5000. The Castrol Edge or Magnatec burns less than M1.

As mcasser posted Honda considers 1 quart per 1000 miles normal for the K24 engine dating back to 2003. I never had an engine that consumed oil at that rate and I don't consider it normal. Honda can claim what they want.

Hopefully components will seat and consumption lessen, but it should be noted that Honda has had some issues with these engines related to faulty oil control rings dating back to 2003. Apparently this isn't a pervasive problem, but if its your vehicle... You might want to document your current consumption with Honda now and again if it increases. It probably would be wise to keep your oil change documentation.

It probably would be a good idea to do some research here and on some of the Accord and CRV forums related to oil consumption and faulty oil control rings in this engine. The NTSA complaint database is another good source. I think a class action suit was brought against Honda for this problem for model year 2008(?).

I have a 2003 K24 engine with only 55,000 miles. I have never consumed any oil,knock on wood, but check it weekly. Some unfortunate owners experienced consumption first at 60,000 miles which worsened over years to the point they were burning a quart in 650 miles. Can't imagine a catalytic converter could function in that environment for long.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Most car manufactures say a 1Q every 1k is normal.

But I've a 23 year Mitsubishi 4G15 1.5L carburetter with OCI of 6K miles and another 10 year Yota 3KVE 1.3L MPI with OCI 10K miles ....... not consuming engine oil looking at the dipsticks!
That 'Most car manufacturers' can't be right, I suppose.

What has happened to the modern engine design and modern manufacturing facilities and modern materials and coating technologies etc ??........
.. and wait we have modern oils said to have improved by leaps and bounds in the past decade or two, what happens ?
..and yet oil consumption of 1Q per 1K is normal!
Ok, yeah ... manufacturers know best!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back