2016 Honda CRV - Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan is with total . Yaya here it's mobil .but I would try the total conventional . So far they have the lowest sulfate ash % .70
I'll know later whats what but initial sound ? Promising

Originally Posted By: Swifty

Yeah okay...lol

k24 has been around for a long time and there have been changes over the years.

Yes, I know. I have been working on Honda/Acuras for almost 20 years now.

"It is about 80/20 city/hwy drive"

There ya go. You and the wife need to take a nice long Sunday drive somewhere.

OK I got it, so what is the sweet range for the RPMs on the hwy and how long the trip; We have 10K on the odometer for 6 months that we owe and I see it on the higher side but hey we plan keep it for a while...
Also CVT the way it works, there is a delay at start just like a turbo before it gets up, and running like a conventional transmission to higher RPMs; When I drive it rarely goes beyond 3000-4000 RPMs

And yes I was notified by my better half just now, she idles the car often (not every day but still often 3 or 4 days) during her lunch time about 20min while doing some phones calls to her mom, lol.

Last edited:
Things have changed over the yrs. Used to be burning a qt in 500 miles was acceptable. In fact, if the level on the stick didn't change, it was often fuel dilution topping off the level.
grin2.gif

Now-a-days, I sent MDW car shopping alone. A Camry was agreed upon. My instructions were: get a I-4 and not gray. 2-3 hrs later, she came back with a blue one
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Most car manufactures say a 1Q every 1k is normal.

No, it's not. 1qt per 1000, that's 5 new quarts every 5K. Does that mean no oil changes? That is not normal!

There's only 10K miles total on this CRV and I'm assuming it's had one oil change done on it. Maybe it did use a quart in 5K miles, but more miles and measurement are needed.

I've had newer vehicles myself and in my family that would use slightly more than one quart/1000mi at times. VW, Isuzu and Subaru specifically. No visible smoke, smell or soot at this rate what so ever. I'm not saying it's a good thing, just what I've experienced.

OK she won't be doing it anymore...

our CRV is white exterior along with tan interior, we targeted that specifically for short winters and long summers here in GA

and they say buy new technologies and for a betterment, environment etc etc; ill stick my '08 Mazda as long as it s possible...

Last edited:
1 quart in 5,000 miles is not horrible, especially for a direct injection engine.
I have a 2011 Equinox 2.4l GDI and I am going through an oil consumption test. Well on my way to failing it.
beer3.gif

GM extended the warranty out and considers 1 quart in 2,000 miles too much. I'm sucking down a quart every 1,000 miles.

Anyway, I will get new rings, pistons, timing chain, and sensors. All new coolant too.

My only issue is when will my catalytic converter's rotten carcass start to stink. Hope before the 80k mark.

Get that M1 junk out of there and it will likely decrease...

I have an 03 CR-V and it eats oil! My vintage was known for it though with the K24... still a great running little SUV that is killer in the snow!

Honda has been using one form or another the K24 engine in Accords, Cr-V, and Elements since 2002. Problems with oil consumption have been reported since 2003.

Here is a site (National Traffic and Safety Administration) that logs customer complaints on recent model years by make, model, engine etc. It is a sortable data base. You can read customer experiences regarding oil consumption and how Honda and/or the dealerships have handled complaints.

Honda has recognized a problem and in some years of the K24 engine and has attributed the oil consumption problem to: 1. Users driving a cold engine at high revolutions 2. Using an inferior quality gasoline causing deposit formation on the rings and eventually a degradation of the oil control rings on the pistons. Is this the real cause? Who knows. (It might be a good idea to document your purchase of a "name brand" gas by getting receipts and throwing them in the glove box. It might be a good idea to start the engine and let it run for 20-30 seconds and keeping the RPM under 3K until the engine gets to operating temperature.)

The most problematic model and year for Honda vehicles equipped with a form of the K24 was 2008. I will leave you the link for the 2008 Accord complaints of oil consumption. There are approximately 350 logged complaints just for this model and year. You can sort thru the database for your 2016 CR-V. There are fewer complaints but also fewer miles and age on these vehicles.

Hope your consumption was a fluke and you get many miles of good service from your Honda. Good luck!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/engine/excessive_oil_consumption.shtml

Nikasil ring are tought but thé liquid in engins nos a Day give a problème to evenvthe best. Find thé owner manuel (updates latest for your year )and follow what Honda recommend, they werent best thing to race by luck ,byoubhad a b16a engine it coule bé turbocharged to 350hp . Honda didnt suddenly go stupid, follow Honda recommendation

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
1 quart in 5,000 miles is not horrible, especially for a direct injection engine.
I have a 2011 Equinox 2.4l GDI and I am going through an oil consumption test. Well on my way to failing it.
beer3.gif

GM extended the warranty out and considers 1 quart in 2,000 miles too much. I'm sucking down a quart every 1,000 miles.

Anyway, I will get new rings, pistons, timing chain, and sensors. All new coolant too.

My only issue is when will my catalytic converter's rotten carcass start to stink. Hope before the 80k mark.

I have the same year model. I failed the oil consumption test last summer. Started at 98k miles and finished up at 103k. Rebuilt the engine like you mentioned. 4 months later the catalytic converter went out. Luckily, GM put out a recall on the cat in August. So you should be good I would think.

Wait - what? As has been discussed many times on this board, oil blenders use non-metallic additives as well as metallic additives. And you posit that the Mobil 1 AFE line doesn't protect as well as regular M1, and that lower levels of zinc and phosphorous somehow result in lower cold temperature viscosities? Do you have any proof?

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
LOL, the 1 qt/1000 is the "standard" Honda created during their defense (and eventual settlement) of the VCM class action lawsuit. You are correct to be upset because it is not "normal" no matter how much Honda and their puppet dealers claim it to be. Do not be afraid to experiment with different oils. M1 0W oils have reduced wear protection additives to achieve lower cold temp viscosities. I've had AFE 0W-30 burn off 1/5000 in my V8 truck during winter usage.

Last edited:
As others have said, trying another oil brand may be worth a try.

I have a 2015 CRV and I have noticed oil level is extremely sensitive to temperature and time allowed to drain. Honda says to check hot with a 3 minute drain-down period. If I do this and the oil is at the full mark, the next morning it will be about 1/4 inch lower on the dipstick. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how much oil is needed to move the dipstick from the bottom to top mark. Not saying you don't have some consumption, but these issues could be a factor.

Honda's K24 oil consumption issues have been attributed to 1) too-infrequent oil changes and 2) excessive engine revs when cold, so more of an owner issue than design flaw. With the age of your CRV and driving habits you shouldn't fall into that category.

All that said, even if consumption is 1 qt/5,000 miles it's hardly a serious issue. We'd all like consumption to be zero, but it won't always happen.

Big Thanks to all who took the time and shared a piece of advice here; I'll take all your advice into consideration;

Meanwhile, I'll be monitoring and tracking all my oil changes on it; although it may not seem a lot for 1q in this day and age of the DI engines, it is something that I did expect with an idea of owning a new car; Yet, our goal is to pay it off and run it till it's wheels fall off!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JCasto
beer3.gif

I have the same year model. I failed the oil consumption test last summer. Started at 98k miles and finished up at 103k. Rebuilt the engine like you mentioned. 4 months later the catalytic converter went out. Luckily, GM put out a recall on the cat in August. So you should be good I would think.

Recall on the cat? I have not heard this. Are they recalling just the catalytic converters off cars that have the consumption issues? I presume so. Do you have anything/link where I can get info on this? A TSB or something.
Thanks!

If I had a new car that used 1qt. every 5k miles I'd see if Honda would do anything about it(they won't). Then I'd try a 0/30 or 5/30 to see if that helped, if not I'd sell it and say lesson learned. 1qt. per 1k miles or less is a non starter for me and I'd get my money back or see them in court.

ROD

Originally Posted By: JCasto
beer3.gif

Recall on the cat? I have not heard this. Are they recalling just the catalytic converters off cars that have the consumption issues? I presume so. Do you have anything/link where I can get info on this? A TSB or something.
Thanks!

Never mind I just found

http://gm.oemdtc.com/6354/15810-catalyti...nox-gmc-terrain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back