2016 Civic Type R FK2 K20C1 - Honda Engine Type 2.0 0W20 - 2743 km Race track

Has anyone another good idea which engine oil would be good prefer in this engine ? I cannot read anything about Amsoil ? No other oils which you would prefer ? Or is Mobil esp 5w30 which more power and torque the best which I can use ? What’s up with Motul or Mobil 1 fs 0w40? Not good for direct injection turbo ?

Amsoil ss 10w30 good, too? What’s up with redline ? I have heard anything about this but I don’t know how it is. Amsoil with „against LSPI“?
STick to Mobil1 ESP 5W30 It is first of all approved oil against most stringent specifications.
Amsoil 10W30 is not approved against any specifications. You always want to go in engines like that with oils approved for MB, BMW< VW, Porsche specifications.
Liqui Moly is OK, but just that, OK.
Redline is a very good track oil, and I am talking Redline Performance, not professional series (mediocre).
But, due to the very high ester content, it oxidizes much faster, so 7,500km would be the maximum on that oil. Take into consideration that Redline Performance is not approved against any specifications due to content geared toward track.

Hey there.
Here is my analysis report from my Honda Civic Type R FK2 2016 with the K20C1 engine. In this oil Intervall I only drive to the Race Track Nordschleife and GP Track and over it. Only highspeed and high temperature ( oil temperature 100-124C ).
I only use Honda OEM Engine Type 2.0 0W20, which was produced by idemitsu lubricants. Here in Europe Honda recommended only this type of oil for this type r.
Ar the Right side you can see the fresh oil analysis from this engine type. What do you say ?

your wear levels especially iron and lead seem to be very low. im not sure why people are recommending thicker oils since your oil in the test is still within its viscosity range and wear levels are very low. if you had higher wear levels only then i would understand where people are coming from in regards to using thicker oils.

I don’t know why, but they said that this low levels only at this time are very good but not for the future if I would use 0w20. In Europe Honda drive with the JAS Motorsport only Motul 300V 5W40. Muhen recommends this engine oil , too. It’s not easy to find the right one. At this time I have over 520 newtonmeter and 362 hp. I didn’t know if 0w20 oder xxwxx is the best for this einige.
In the german oil Forum they Said to the fk2r driver they should use Amsoil , but no one use this with an analysis. So I cannot use this Amsoil , not many drivers can tell me about this.

This is a special engine. High-performance. Turbo. DI. 2.0, pushing 300+ HP.

Don’t even consider a 0W-20, unless you’re driving miss Daisy around.

If this were my car, I’d run M1 ESP 5W-30 or Motul 8100 X-Clean+.

Why those? Because they have a 3.5 HTHS rating, for protection against shear, yet they don’t require much viscosity-modifying polymer additive to achieve their cold pumpability ratings, due to the very high quality base oils they’re made with.

Those high quality base oils will also mean a great Noack score (low volatility).

Less VM additives and low Noack equal cleaner pistons, intake valves, and happy turbo bearings.

Enjoy the car! I’ve seriously considered getting one to replace my 2016 WRX that I sold a couple of years ago, as I love the light weight, handling, incredible engine, the manual transmission, and the utility that the hatchback offers.

Post some pictures!
What about 0W-30? And do you happen to know it's HTHS?

The hths is 2.68. the results With 0w20 looks Great of this car. Here are any pictures..

Attachments

• EF1877CF-8CEA-4044-8CEE-354F6D437A50.jpeg
    EF1877CF-8CEA-4044-8CEE-354F6D437A50.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1AC8E4A6-8D36-43D1-85F2-0223AFFF6AD1.jpeg
    1AC8E4A6-8D36-43D1-85F2-0223AFFF6AD1.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 369A6DE8-7786-4E22-B986-CAA2A8E88A18.jpeg
    369A6DE8-7786-4E22-B986-CAA2A8E88A18.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 65382ADC-73A0-4E8B-A6DF-4B2A9C129708.jpeg
    65382ADC-73A0-4E8B-A6DF-4B2A9C129708.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 21
  • BDCE71A0-5CCF-4E33-BC56-EADFA0F43DB9.jpeg
    BDCE71A0-5CCF-4E33-BC56-EADFA0F43DB9.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 23
What about 0W-30? And do you happen to know it's HTHS?
A Euro 0W-30, such as M1 ESP 0W-30 (HTHS = 3.5), would work very well.

Incidentally, I just bought 5 jugs on sale for around $29/ea @ Advance Auto Parts.

I actually prefer the 5W-30 version, due to slightly thicker base oil, slightly lower amount of viscosity modifying polymer, and slightly better Noack score.

But there’s little difference, and $29/ea is a savings of >$9/jug.

A Euro 0W-30, such as M1 ESP 0W-30 (HTHS = 3.5), would work very well.

Incidentally, I just bought 5 jugs on sale for around $29/ea @ Advance Auto Parts.

I actually prefer the 5W-30 version, due to slightly thicker base oil, slightly lower amount of viscosity modifying polymer, and slightly better Noack score.

But there’s little difference, and $29/ea is a savings of >$9/jug.
Gotcha, thanks for the reply. What about FS 0W-40? I'd like to stay at 0W instead of 5W if possible. Don't really see the benefit of going up to 5W?

I personally believe at least the 30 weight oil or thicker is still better for track especially if you dont change oil straight before and after race. The 30 weight will have more buffer on boundary lubrication for the hottest spot in the engine. Even though your 20weight oil UOA looks fine, it did not tell you the whole picture because some of the debris are trapped in the oil filter and noone count particles in it and put it as overall picture on metal floating around in the engine.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. What about FS 0W-40? I'd like to stay at 0W instead of 5W if possible. Don't really see the benefit of going up to 5W?
Your location is ATL? A 0W oil will have no advantage over a 5W oil in that climate.

Your engine would only benefit from a 0W oil if you’re consistently seeing cold starts below 0°F. And that almost never happens down there.

Even at temps much lower than 0°F, the ESP 5W-30 has plenty of headroom to protect.

M1 ESP 5W-30 pour point: -48°F
M1 ESP 0W-30 pour point: -51°F

What vehicle is this going in?

mobile 1 0w40 is a great oil but for this engine a little over it, or unnecessarily "thick" in the hot viscosity. A xxw30 should be the highest of feelings in this engine to ensure maximum protection and cooling of the engine without negatively affecting performance and oil volume flow. Mobil 1 is one of the best oil manufacturers for me, there is little to do with it. Even if there are still some good alternatives, I feel "safer" at mobil 1.

Your location is ATL? A 0W oil will have no advantage over a 5W oil in that climate.

Your engine would only benefit from a 0W oil if you’re consistently seeing cold starts below 0°F. And that almost never happens down there.

Even at temps much lower than 0°F, the ESP 5W-30 has plenty of headroom to protect.

M1 ESP 5W-30 pour point: -48°F
M1 ESP 0W-30 pour point: -51°F

What vehicle is this going inere
Here's what I wrote in the HPL thread: The Civic Type R manual recommends 0W-20 (in the US, at least). Would the Premium or Premium Plus 0W-20 be a good choice for the Type R's high performance, turbocharged, direct-injection motor? The car would see mostly daily driving but also the occasional autocross and track day (Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motorsports Park). Recommended OCI? Oil temperatures can easily exceed 250+F on track. The car unfortunately does not include an oil pressure gauge. I'd use a Fram Ultra oil filter. Thanks in advance.

Also,
I'd like to emphasize that this will primarily be a daily driver. I don't get to autocross and track as much as I'd like, so I was thinking I might as well get the easiest flowing coil viscosity, a 0W, for startups and it can get kinda cold here in the winter (low 30s, sometimes).

I was just thinking a -30 or -40 hot weight would be better suited for when I do get to stretch its legs bc these engines run hot and 250+ OilT is not hard to reach on track a -20 seems like it'd be too think to handle that while maintaining good OilP, although I've seen guys that track much more frequently/harder on 0W-20 without issue, but I don't know what their OilP is. Motul 300V seems to be popular amongst them, but doesn't seem like a great daily oil (heard it needs to get hot for its add pack to work?).

The Motul 300v has organic molybdenum with it, which counteracts wear, especially at the limit range, i.e. hot temperatures and pressure. If you drive the car as standard, and especially in winter, then the 0W20 is the measure of all things. This works really well, even one with approval! You don't have to worry that the engine will die of early wear. To be sure and calm your conscience, you could start an oil analysis series, that's how I do it

I am looking now for amsoil Signature series 10w30 With API SP. 10ccs at 100 degrees celsius. I think a very good Engine oil … pao?

What about acea5 5w30? Most fords run it and it has hths of 2.9. classed as a resource conserving 5w30. Doesnt seem like a big jump over 5w20?

Hey there
The best motor oils on paper for me are amsoil Signature Series and Mobil 1. but also the series oil from Honda, which was developed by idemitsu, has a lot of molybdenum and bor as wear protection, and it delivered good results. So one of the three oils, with the mobile it would be the ESP 5W30, with the amsoil the 10W30, although I am unsure about the lack of releases ...

Back