2015 Toyota Yaris 5w30 recommended

Wonder how it would like a 5w30 diesel oil like Motorcraft oil? Might be best of both.
Xw30 Diesel Oil should be almost exactly the same as the 0w40 mobil1, the KV40 is about the same for RT6 MV 5w30 and Delo XSP 5W30 as Mobil1 0w40 (the HDEOs are a hair thicker) , pretty much the same HTHS, the Mobil1 0w40 seems to be thinner than the the HDEO except at full operating temperatures, and would probably be better in cold temperatures.

Also I was thinking this could possibly be the very reason Toyota specified 5w30. The hwy RPMS for anyone who runs 80 plus your 4,000RPMS or even more in the manual version with a motor that redlines at 6,400 RPMS. So it’s seeing fairly high rpms at freeway speeds. I feel like they could easily pull another gear saving much more in gas. The car feels to have plenty of power to pull another gear.
I definitely wouldn’t consider a 20w, I don’t like using it in cars that do call for it.
There are plenty of cars/trucks that run perfectly fine racking up mile after mile running a 20W oil -- including my 08 Acura TL. Your talking out your arse now!!!!

There are plenty of cars/trucks that run perfectly fine racking up mile after mile running a 20W oil -- including my 08 Acura TL. Your talking out your arse now!!!!
I agree with every point R1jake made. Low gearing/ high rpms leads to hotter oil. Does your car hold 4,000 rpms on highways? 119,000 miles on a Honda engine is also no where near racking up miles.

I agree with every point R1jake made. Low gearing/ high rpms leads to hotter oil. Does your car hold 4,000 rpms on highways? 119,000 miles on a Honda engine is also no where near racking up miles.
No, what he specified was that he would NOT use a 20wt oil if the manufacturer called for it overall. That is what I was referring too!!!

Last edited:
The 1NZ is a terrific engine. Only 100 hp.....but rock solid. Don't over think the oil. This engine doesn't care. Pick any flavor of 5/30.....synthetic or conventional and roll with it.

My daughter's '10 LB. 11 years old, auto, 150k miles. Lots of hard stop and go driving, idling, etc. Zero burning or consumption.

Currently running Valvoline Maxlife synthetic 5/30. And just like every other oil it's had....it's perfectly content, humming along like a sewing machine.

Screenshot_2019-09-12-11-03-19.jpg

Recently bought a really nice 2015 Toyota Yaris from my parents, with dad retired they just don’t need 2cars anymore and wanted that payment gone. Perfect car for the wife, she wanted and liked it much more than her current 09 Pontiac vibe which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix. The Yaris is the SE Which is the sport model. Wow that thing handles so amazingly well. It stays flat to the ground and the steering is so precise and has that really touchy steering feel where you barely turn the wheel and get sharp results. We are absolutely loving the car. Anyway to my point of the topic.
I was very surprised when I was searching the oil grade recommendation being 5w30?? When even my 2009 Pontiac vibe
AKA (Toyota matrix) specs 5w20. Heck Ford has even back specified my 94 E150 conversion van 5.8L 351 windsor to 5w20 which it will never see. I run mobile1 0w40 euro blend in it. I guess my point is with these manufacturers specifying 5w20 even in old pushrod V8 engines that have been around since well before I was born in the early 70s, why would Toyota choose to stick with 5w30 in such a newer model vehicle specifically built as a gas saver?? I know the little 1nzfe hasn’t been around nearly as long as the 5.8 windsor so I’m just kinda wondering why Toyota has not specified 5w20 for it unless they know it will fail on 5w20. This engine is well known for its reliability and so was the 1.8 in the vibe/matrix. Just thought I would post a thread to discuss and hopefully find that someone has already researched and possibly knows why Toyota has stuck with the 5w30 recommendation. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes to the conversation.

I was actually excited to see it specified 5w30 so I feel comfortable running 0w40 in it where I didn’t with the vibe so always ran 5w20 in winter and 0/30 or 5w30 in summer. So now I have 3 vehicles I believe my mobile 1 0w40 should be great for. 94 351 Windsor 1990 Toyota 4x4 22RE and now the 15 Yaris.

Agreed, the 0w-40 should be good for all. Good choice.

The Toyota engine is specified for heavier oils overseas, and having a look on mobil1.de shows that many Toyota engines in Germany are specified for up to a 40 grade.

Typically low stress engine uses a thinner oil and high stress engine uses a thicker oil. A 300 hp V6 is likely "low stress" at low rpm in a mid size car (3500lb) vs a 100 hp 1.6L being "high stress" at low rpm in a compact size car (2800lb).

Family had an ‘89 Tercel hatch with a 4-speed standard - man did it scream at highway speeds!
Called for 10W-30, and drank it like water. Never had any engine issues, though!

Recently bought a really nice 2015 Toyota Yaris from my parents, with dad retired they just don’t need 2cars anymore and wanted that payment gone. Perfect car for the wife, she wanted and liked it much more than her current 09 Pontiac vibe which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix. The Yaris is the SE Which is the sport model. Wow that thing handles so amazingly well. It stays flat to the ground and the steering is so precise and has that really touchy steering feel where you barely turn the wheel and get sharp results. We are absolutely loving the car. Anyway to my point of the topic.
I was very surprised when I was searching the oil grade recommendation being 5w30?? When even my 2009 Pontiac vibe
AKA (Toyota matrix) specs 5w20. Heck Ford has even back specified my 94 E150 conversion van 5.8L 351 windsor to 5w20 which it will never see. I run mobile1 0w40 euro blend in it. I guess my point is with these manufacturers specifying 5w20 even in old pushrod V8 engines that have been around since well before I was born in the early 70s, why would Toyota choose to stick with 5w30 in such a newer model vehicle specifically built as a gas saver?? I know the little 1nzfe hasn’t been around nearly as long as the 5.8 windsor so I’m just kinda wondering why Toyota has not specified 5w20 for it unless they know it will fail on 5w20. This engine is well known for its reliability and so was the 1.8 in the vibe/matrix. Just thought I would post a thread to discuss and hopefully find that someone has already researched and possibly knows why Toyota has stuck with the 5w30 recommendation. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes to the conversation. I was actually excited to see it specified 5w30 so I feel comfortable running 0w40 in it where I didn’t with the vibe so always ran 5w20 in winter and 0/30 or 5w30 in summer. So now I have 3 vehicles I believe my mobile 1 0w40 should be great for. 94 351 Windsor 1990 Toyota 4x4 22RE and now the 15 Yaris.
My friend didn't have much luck with that engine 😕 be mindful of Maintenance & esp the rubber timing belt..if Yoda insists on still using that to get ya unto dealer for some good old fashioned rip off games. Use OEM spec viscosity esp if ever an engine warranty issue occurs . Don't play around w/changing viscosity recommendations is my logic.

Family had an ‘89 Tercel hatch with a 4-speed standard - man did it scream at highway speeds!
Called for 10W-30, and drank it like water. Never had any engine issues, though!
They burn oil a bit too. Check oil levels in those !

Back