2015 or 14 vw jetta se

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1O

Hey all. I am thinking of picking up either a 15 or 14 jetta se. In my neck of the woods the price for either ranges from a low of 10,800 to 13,000. This with an auto transmission and leatherette seating with sunroof. I am wondering about reliability of these cars and does the price sound inline with the value of the vehicle. I know oil changes will run about 35 to 40 bucks. What are common problems some have experienced and such.

How bad do you need an automatic and a sunroof? Why? Because you can get a new 2017 for $14K with a stick and a better fiancee rate if not paying cash. I imagine since you live in Zanesville, your on the freeway a lot anyhow?
VW has good years and bad years for the particular engine used. If your looking at a Jetta with 2.0 or 2.5 with a stick, it should be reliable. I would do your own research elsewhere because there are people here that will say stay away, they suck, take the easy, safe way out and don't take a risk in life, buy a Camry.... .

Last edited:
...or a Mazda, or a Hyundai, or a Kia, or a Honda or a Subaru. You can't be sure what VW/Audi is willing to sell you with a smile. They call them driver's cars as opposed to what, an owner's car, a car that will pass smog or a car that will last as long as the payments. Join the VW/Audi lottery. This year might be a good one. Could be another bad one. Who knows? Worry not. You'll figure it out.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
How bad do you need an automatic and a sunroof? Why? Because you can get a new 2017 for $14K with a stick and a better fiancee rate if not paying cash. I imagine since you live in Zanesville, your on the freeway a lot anyhow?
VW has good years and bad years for the particular engine used. If your looking at a Jetta with 2.0 or 2.5 with a stick, it should be reliable. I would do your own research elsewhere because there are people here that will say stay away, they suck, take the easy, safe way out and don't take a risk in life, buy a Camry.... .

I have to admit I'm the guy that is always recommending a used Camry.

Don't need either just seems to be what they are. Would love to find a a 5 speed 1.8 ltr but almost all have an auto transmission. New ones in Columbus are running 17k for the s model with a 1.4ltr turbo

Look up north in Cleveland and you should see some much lower prices. I guess since the Columbus economy is better or this is more domestic car territory. Plus get a bumper to bumper 6 year/72k warranty. By that time you might get tired of it and be ready for a new one.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4531213/Re:_VW_6_yr_warranty#Post4531213

Use Autotrader, pick within 300 miles and search from price low to high.

Go to Rockville, MD and get a new one for $9,877

LINK

Or $10,997

LINK

They seem to be good cars overall. The years you mentioned will be equipped with the 1.8 TSI, plug your VIN in on VW recall check website. Some of the 2015's had issues where the cam that drives the brake booster would snap off leaving you without power brakes. The automatics don't seem to have too many issues in these, but they are a bit clunky at times. The previous generation that also used the 09G transmission had valve body issues especially when the transmission fluid is not changed in a timely manner. So just like with any car, always keep the fluids fresh and at the proper level.

Another member recommended getting a new one, not a bad idea. They can be found for CHEAP, and you will have a full warranty.

I know 4 people with 2013 and 2014 Jettas. The 2013s have the 2.5L auto and the 2014s have the 1.8T auto. All have over 50k miles with just oil changes and one 2014 needed rear brake pads. They are pretty solid cars especially for the price and options you get.

Change the oil regularly, change the transmission fluid every 50-60k miles, and you should be fine. The auto transmission on these is fairly easy to service and has a fill and drain plug.

My sister is looking to replace her 2005 Civic with over 200k on it. We test drove a few used 2011-2013 Civics this weekend and they felt "loose" and had rattles. All the dealers claimed "It's a Honda, it runs forever", but that doesn't make up for a car that was just driven and never maintained. A lot of them had bald or unevenly worn tires, but would probably sell based on it being a Honda. Last night we test drove a 2013 Jetta 2.5 with similar miles and it was quiet inside and felt more solid. It had almost new tires and brakes (probably 10-15k miles old), carfax showed it had the oil changed on time at the neighboring VW dealer, and was about 2 grand less. She will probably be going with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back