2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4L Mobil 1 Annual Protection Good for 12K OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Really long time, no post! I hope all is going well on the forum. I have a question. I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI Theta-II Engine. I Have around 50K miles, runs really strong, and no oil usage. I changed out the dealer oil and put in some Mobil 1 Annual Protection with a M1 104A Annual protection 20,000 mile oil filter. Will this setup last one year, about 12,000 miles? I run about 75% highway, 25% city. Let me know what you think about doing 1 year OCI / 12,000 miles. Thanks!

IMG_20190309_155121117.jpg

I believe Mobil indicates to use the mfg recommendation while under warranty; If you are, I would.

That being said, I have (2) 5qt jugs I intend on using in a Prius for 1yr/12-15K OCI; the car is MPFI however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
I believe Mobil indicates to use the mfg recommendation while under warranty; If you are, I would.

That being said, I have (2) 5qt jugs I intend on using in a Prius for 1yr/12-15K OCI; the car is MPFI however.

Wow that's a good point, I did not even think of the warranty... Would doing this somehow void the warranty? Even if I kept the receipts with mileage on them? What are the chances of ever using the warranty? It's covered up to 100K. I've been off the site for a while, how's the 2.4L overall? Are there any UOA'S floating around? I think the factory says 7500 miles under normal conditions. But up until now it has the dealer changed @ 3-5K miles every 6 months.

Stay within your MFG recommended drains while under warranty. Since it is GDI, I personally would not let it go past 10K max anyhow. I just had a 2.0L GDI Elantra oil analysis done for 4K, already showing 1.2% fuel dilution and a drop in grade (5w-30 went to 20w.).

That oil will go 20k but only if your engine, your warranty if applicable, and your driving routine will allow it.

Is Blackstone still the go to for UOA? IF so I might drain in 6 months and do a test, to see if I can go longer.

I would be doing 6K-7K OCI; regardless of the quality of oil; I wouldn't be wanting to defend 12K OCI to anyone even if for many vehicles it is no problem.

What is the recommended OCI? Just do that....

Pragmatism

Last edited:
Mobil did the testing with GDI engines, but some are harder on oil than others. So it depends on the engine type and driving conditions. 75% highway is good. I would start off with a 8k mile interval, and go from there. Don't be alarmed though if the TBN comes back in the 2-3 range. It can stay in that range for quite some time.

I would not do more than 10k tops. I have a customer with that same motor. I tried Mobil 1 EP and Valvoline and at 9-10k the oil was very burnt thinned out. That motor is not easy on oil even though it holds 5 quarts.

I do regular Synthetic changes at 6-7k now for them.

I agree with buster above. However; I'd probably run out to 10K or warranty max) and do a UOA. I've seen no data that suggest the the Theta 11 engine is an oil diluter. Ed.

GDI, with 5W20, for a 12K mile OCI. I wouldn't run the oil that long, I'd go half and get a UOA. Draw a sample from the dipstick tube, base the OCI from the results. And I would use 5W30 in it.

Nope! I wouldn't do it. First, Hyundai/KIA OCI is 3,750 miles for severe service and 7,500 for normal service. Go by the owner's manual and not the slick packaging.

My girlfriend's 2016 Sonata has the 2.4 engine as well. I've had a hard time keeping the oil consumption under control to justify more than a 5k OCI. I'm about ready to bump viscosity up even more, been using 10w30 Penz Plat.

Decided to do 5k miles with 5-30 conventional-semisyn SN+ and 6k with synthetic. With direct injection I wouldn't be pushing long intervals with any oils. Seems like HyunKia is backing off DI with some of the '20's, ie the base engine on the new Soul.

Definitely stay within Hyundai's recommendations if you're under warranty. I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Theta II engine failures
21.gif
. Sure, it would be nice to get your money's worth out of the oil, but if you're part of the X% with a bad build, I sure wouldn't want to give Hyundai any ammo to fight a warrantied engine swap.

The Theta II is the reason I ended up choosing the 1.8L...

Originally Posted by csandste
Decided to do 5k miles with 5-30 conventional-semisyn SN+ and 6k with synthetic. With direct injection I wouldn't be pushing long intervals with any oils. Seems like HyunKia is backing off DI with some of the '20's, ie the base engine on the new Soul.

Where do you see that? The motors listed right now for the 2020 Soul are the 2.0 Nu GDI and the Gamma II GDI turbo. Both are direct inject.

Oh and forgot I run 5w30 in the 2.4 motors, not the 20 weight. The 2.4 is to hard on oil to run the 20 weight, esp in the summer and how people treat them.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
The Hyundai 2.4L isn't real easy on oil. It's best to keep the OCI's shorter.

Here's a link to a UOA I did on mine with Pennzoil Ultra, the original blend of it not the natural gas stuff. This oil was BITOG's holy grail back when it was made.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...6-377-15-sonata-2-4l-gdi-59k#Post4430498

What color was your oil sample?
I just posted on your uoa thread not realizing it was 2 years back. You can respond to your uoa thread instead. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back