2015 F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancee's son bought a 2014 crew cab F150 4x4 this summer with the 5.0. He wanted the ecoboost but I told him that everything that I had read and people that I have talked to that owned the ecoboost version, were not getting the mileage that was claimed. Plus he saved money on the purchase of the 5.0 over the ecoboost as the ecoboost trucks were more money.

He is averaging 18mpg with the 5.0 and is happy with that.

Wayne

Having the engine transversely mounted is unlikely to be the cause of the issue. Blowby, oil volatility, duty cycle, and most of all the PCV system are all included among others. But not which way the engine points.

I have a lot of LEO clients and friends, our local Sheriff has several of the 3.5 TT motored Fords in pickups and automobiles. He said at breakfast last Saturday that the Hemi Chargers were everyone's favorite, including the motor pool guys...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Having the engine transversely mounted is unlikely to be the cause of the issue. Blowby, oil volatility, duty cycle, and most of all the PCV system are all included among others. But not which way the engine points.

Drfinitely. My main point was that the 2 engines, while having the same displacement and features are 2 totally separate animals. I thought they were the same until I got an education one one of the F150 boards. They are more different than they are alike. Which is why you can't say the things that happen in the car application apply to the truck application and vice versa.

Ask one department, and they all like the Chargers. Ask another, and they hate them. The officers I work with hate the Chargers in their fleet. They also dislike the Sedan Ford product, but they all like the Utility (Explorer based) Ford. Not a one size fits all here...

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: rslifkin

I'm betting they've been beating the [censored] out of them prior to a full warmup and/or shutting them down too soon after a hard run. And who knows what they feed them for oil. Probably killing the seals in the turbos.

I'm sure when a cop is going to an emergency call his first thought isn't "I should let the car warm up for a few minutes before I drive it".

It's a fixable problem: when the cars are off-duty and not running, plug them in (block heater and oil pan heater). Even though that won't keep them at full operating temp, it'll definitely make things a heck of a lot better when they go WOT out of the parking lot at the station.

I'm betting they've been beating the [censored] out of them prior to a full warmup and/or shutting them down too soon after a hard run. And who knows what they feed them for oil. Probably killing the seals in the turbos.

I'm sure when a cop is going to an emergency call his first thought isn't "I should let the car warm up for a few minutes before I drive it".

It's a fixable problem: when the cars are off-duty and not running, plug them in (block heater and oil pan heater). Even though that won't keep them at full operating temp, it'll definitely make things a heck of a lot better when they go WOT out of the parking lot at the station.

That would definitely help. I'm not sure how easy it would be to try and convince them to do that though.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Ask one department, and they all like the Chargers. Ask another, and they hate them. The officers I work with hate the Chargers in their fleet. They also dislike the Sedan Ford product, but they all like the Utility (Explorer based) Ford. Not a one size fits all here...

Absolutely agreed. Perhaps that's why they make more than one police vehicle?

My local city Chief says the Tahoe is the cheapest vehicle they have ever owned. They sell for ridiculous prices used and folks love the police package models...

Last edited:

It might be a fixable problem, but I doubt it will ever be something widely accepted by the majority of Police stations.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It might be a fixable problem, but I doubt it will ever be something widely accepted by the majority of Police stations.

Sadly, probably not. Although it would probably pay for itself in increased car lifespan and reduced fuel use (less time warming up cars at the station and the ability to shut the car off but keep it warm anywhere it goes that it can be plugged in.

Some of the issue is just driver training though. Not a lot they can do about the need to jump in and GO if there's not a guy already out and driving that can respond. But they can work on not shutting the car down immediately after a hard run, etc. Choice of oil is probably also a factor here, something as thin as possible when cold would save the turbos some wear I'm sure.

Last edited:

If they have an emergency that requires going WOT out of the parking lot I doubt they want to mess around with unplugging the car first. Someone should develop a block heater that uses a mag-safe plug like on Macbooks so they could just drive off.

Guy I know through the jeep club works at the local police department garage. The Chargers outperform the Crown Vics so much it's not funny. But they don't hold up at all like the Crown Vics. They like the Ecoboost Tauruses ... apparently they hold up a lot better when new than the Chargers.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Guy I know through the jeep club works at the local police department garage. The Chargers outperform the Crown Vics so much it's not funny. But they don't hold up at all like the Crown Vics. They like the Ecoboost Tauruses ... apparently they hold up a lot better when new than the Chargers.

All the new police vehicles outperform the Crown Vic. The Crown's were dependable, stood up to quite a bit of abuse, were easy to work on(by todays standards), and had plenty of parts available. Whether or not the new cars hold up remains to be seen.

Our mechanics much prefer the routine maintenance on the Chargers versus the Ford Interceptors. So far, the Chargers have been more reliable than our neighboring departments Ecoboost powered Interceptors. Fortunately for them the work has been covered by Ford so far. However, they are concerned as the first ones they bought will be out of warranty late this summer.

I have not ridden in one of the new Explorer based vehicles but we have some of the older Explorer and they have held up very well. I don't like them personally from a comfort standpoint. The seats just do not fit me well. Personally, I prefer the Tahoe or Expedition. However, they can be a tough sell to some department heads and bean counters.

Last edited:
Plenty of speculation about the EB engines here.

As an owner of 2 nearly identical F150's, I can say without a doubt, the EB powered truck is A) much faster, B) Much more efficient C) more fun to drive.

The 2009 F150 with 5.4L gets 14.5 MPG
The 2011 F150 with 3.5L EB gets between 19 and 21 MPG.

Both are SuperCrew.

The 2011 is a very early production truck, first year EB and has been 100% reliable.

The only, and I mean ONLY down side to the EB powered truck is the sound of the engine. It sounds like a UPS truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back