2015 Chevy Silverado And Rotella T6 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you remember me talking about one of my cousins that owned a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. He only used FRAM oil filters on it because he said he saw John Force and Don Garlits use FRAM oil filters on their NHRA cars. He also changed his oil every 3K miles with M1 10W30.
He just recently traded it in on a 2015 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 8.5 qt. monster oil pan engine! He bought it back in Feb. I think and let the dealer do his first OCI. Well, this past weekend he did an OCI with Rotella T6 5W40 and an STP oil filter.The previous OCI only had about 4300 miles on it. He said he plans to change it every 4-6K miles with the Rotella and an STP oil filter. I just walked away shaking my head.

Why not just let him do what he wants instead of walking away in disgust thinking you are so much more intellgent than he is? I don't know why people seem so involved with other peoples decisions, especially when they're doing no harm.

I put 15W40 Mobil 1300 in my son's 2013 GMC. Previous to that was 0W40 Duron E, 5W40 Duron E, 15W40 Duron E.......

This fall it will get 5W40, winter 0W40 etc.

A UOA last year on the 15W40 at 7,000 miles showed that the oil could go another 7,000.

Same program for two 2013 Toyota Matrix, and guess what?
They don't burn oil.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Some of you remember me talking about one of my cousins that owned a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. He only used FRAM oil filters on it because he said he saw John Force and Don Garlits use FRAM oil filters on their NHRA cars. He also changed his oil every 3K miles with M1 10W30.
He just recently traded it in on a 2015 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 8.5 qt. monster oil pan engine! He bought it back in Feb. I think and let the dealer do his first OCI. Well, this past weekend he did an OCI with Rotella T6 5W40 and an STP oil filter.The previous OCI only had about 4300 miles on it. He said he plans to change it every 4-6K miles with the Rotella and an STP oil filter. I just walked away shaking my head.
Why are you shaking your head?

Too bad for the factory.
The longer Mobil M1-212 filter or the K+N HP-2011, (same filter with the nut on the bottom) would be a nice addition to the 5W40.
The 2013 holds almost 7 liters when I let it drip forever pointing up-hill.
A 20% increase in oil capacity could extend the OCI, but I do my oil changes when its convenient, usually around 20% left on the OLM, but never over.

It will be interesting to see how things go long term on his truck, considering the engine is completely different from 2013 and older models. Like variable displacement oil pump. Thicker isn't always better and there are all kinds of opinions on here I'm sure. But I would think the spec of 0w-20 which that is called for would serve well. Also there is a TSB out that states the oil fill is now 8qts down from 8.5qts. I would like to know why GM lowered it.

More than likely nothing will happen to his new ride. Just will be interesting to see how it runs for the next 100k miles using that oil.

He might be better off running a synthetic HDEO vs. a 20 weight. Who knows?

I see no harm that can really be done.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder why they went to 8 quarts in that engine? Is it the keep the oil cool enough to run a 20 wt?
Good thinking.

Has it not been well established that the thin oil movement is to promote MPG for CAFE reasons? Perhaps the Chevy owner isn't that concerned about a few tenths of a MPG.

From everything I have read, GM is pretty adamant about their new Ecotec3 engines using 0W-20 oil.

Will using 5W-40 oil give him problems, maybe, maybe not.

All I can say is that if he ever has engine trouble, and they analyze the oil, GM could void his warranty as he did not use the recommended viscosity or one that meets the dexos spec.

And why on earth would he get a $45K truck and put an el-cheapo STP oil filter on it? There are oil filters that are far better and only cost a couple of bucks more.

With all this being said, him changing the oil every 4-6K, but he needs to be made aware that Rotella T6 is neither dexos licensed or dexos compliant. IIRC, Rotella T6 is oil for diesel engines.

It's your buddy's truck, he can do what he wants.

I wonder why they went to 8 quarts in that engine? Is it the keep the oil cool enough to run a 20 wt?

The new Ecotec3 is a direct injection engine and DI engines are notorious for having higher amounts of fuel in the oil. Why do BMW 6 cylinder engines have 7 quart capacity when they run their LL-01 oil?

People bash the new Ecotec3 for being a pushrod design and calling it old tech when in fact they are very advanced. With AFM, DI, and VVT, the new Ecotec3 is high up on the tech scale.

Originally Posted By: stchman

The new Ecotec3 is a direct injection engine and DI engines are notorious for having higher amounts of fuel in the oil. Why do BMW 6 cylinder engines have 7 quart capacity when they run their LL-01 oil?

People bash the new Ecotec3 for being a pushrod design and calling it old tech when in fact they are very advanced. With AFM, DI, and VVT, the new Ecotec3 is high up on the tech scale.

Again-here on BITOG it seems fashionable to bash the direct injection motors. Right up there with CVT transmissions, Subarus, and anything Chinese.
Your right-they have been calling the push rod motors outdated almost from the beginning. The previous 5.3 motors, to site an example has proven to be ultra reliable. Hopefully the updated version in the 2014s and up will as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Again-here on BITOG it seems fashionable to bash the direct injection motors. Right up there with CVT transmissions, Subarus, and anything Chinese.
Your right-they have been calling the push rod motors outdated almost from the beginning. The previous 5.3 motors, to site an example has proven to be ultra reliable. Hopefully the updated version in the 2014s and up will as well.

I am not personally bashing DI engines, DI engines as they are designed do have higher amounts of fuel dilution in the oil. To alleviate fuel dilution, the oil needs to be brought up to operating temperature for a significant amount of time or they simply have more oil.

Being a GM truck owner, I have had lots of pushrod engines:

4.9 Pontiac
4.3 Vortec
5.0 Vortec
5.3 Vortec

They have all been very reliable engines.

I agreed until you said Chinese....
smile.gif
They earn their reputation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: CT8
Why are you shaking your head?

Probably because factory specifies 0W-20.

these heavier oil fanatics will never get it Merkava...

Did'nt see any bashing there, and i certainly wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back