2015 BMW N20 X1 UOA 5K MILES NON-EURO OIL: ROUND 2

It is a mistake such high viscosity, or there is oxidative thickening.
BL is virgin sample, which is identical to stated vis from QS and other virgin tests. This oil seems to shed vis quickly and then stays at high nines in the few samples I have seen other than my own. Are you saying the 9.7 vis is high?

Last edited:
Why did you get a TAN on the virgin sample, but TBN on the used samples? The viscosity is quite a bit higher than the other VOA we have on file for this oil:
There are others which show the same VOA vis. It's earlier in this thread, also. I believe there is another floating around besides this one, and my OA one that confirms the 11.6 factory number, not the sub 11 one in the database. That one seems to be an outlier in my view.

bfc313aa-bad3-44ec-8e91-50e773f918c1-jpg.98092

Last edited:
BL is virgin sample, which is identical to stated vis from QS and other virgin tests. This oil seems to shed vis quickly and then stays at high nines in the few samples I have seen other than my own. Are you saying the 9.7 vis is high?
I see now. That is really high viscosity for ILSAC oil. I just checked PDS and Shell has it at 11.6 too. That is pretty much where PPE 0W30 LX is, but with higher HTHS.
Interesting.

Back