2015-2016 Honda CRV EX, EXL only

CRVs models get an Apple Car Play update finally; So the owners of these models can go here Update; vast majority of owners just need to download the file onto a jump drive, plug it to USB port in your CRV, start the car without accessories on and follow the prompts; it takes about 10-15min to install Apple Car Play on your main unit and you're good to go;

Now, we have the apple play in both our cars

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited:
Good to see Honda updating their infotainment, however it boggles me as to how both they and Toyota can continue to use such an outdated UI on their systems. Just look at the offerings from Hyundai/Kia, FCA, and GM. There's no reason to have a UI that's as outdated and slow as what Honda, Toyota, and Subaru use. Heck, my 7 year old Volt with the MyLink infotainment works better than the current offerings from Toyota or Honda, forgiving the lack of Apple Car Play or Android Auto. Honestly, the times I've played with vehicles with either, I haven't found any actual use to having those features. MAYBE for using navigation, but other than that I find it to be a complete bother. All I need is good solid Bluetooth audio connection and I'm happy.

In addition, why does Honda INSIST on using a touch slider for tuning and volume? For years and years, automotive reviews have expressed their disdain for touch controls related to the most basic functions. That opinion hasn't been lost throughout the times. I don't mind buttons, they have their place, but for the love of all things holy just GIVE ME A KNOB TO CHANGE THE VOLUME! Tapping or sliding my finger just doesn't work. This also includes the Cadillac "CUE" system and the Lincoln version of the "MyTouch" system (there could be more American brands that use sliders, but those are the two that stand out).

miden851, thank you for posting this. I loaded it onto a 16 gig flashdrive and will install it tomorrow on my 2016 Honda CR-V EX.

I have a decent amount of music on a large flash drive and hope that this update improves the ways I can access specific artist files and songs.

Does anyone know if this update will enable navigation if you did not have it before the update?

Originally Posted by 14Accent

In addition, why does Honda INSIST on using a touch slider for tuning and volume? For years and years, automotive reviews have expressed their disdain for touch controls related to the most basic functions. That opinion hasn't been lost throughout the times. I don't mind buttons, they have their place, but for the love of all things holy just GIVE ME A KNOB TO CHANGE THE VOLUME! Tapping or sliding my finger just doesn't work. This also includes the Cadillac "CUE" system and the Lincoln version of the "MyTouch" system (there could be more American brands that use sliders, but those are the two that stand out).

Looks like the newest gen has the knob back. Blame everyone's obsession with stupid large screens and the need for everything being touch for manufacturer-level stupid. You can't blame them... if they don't try to impress somehow in this department they can't compete.

I looked on YouTube and it looks like this update will link with Android Auto. My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro re-manufactured one that only cost $35.00 I loaded the Android Auto and Google Maps onto my phone, that was shown working with Apple Car Play on one of the YouTube videos. Tomorrow I will use the charging cable to link the phone to the car after installing the Apple Car Play, and see if my phone works with that.

Also I will try using voice commands to access songs on my flash drive when it is connected to the vehicles stereo.

OP, thanks again for the update link.

I actually saw that this update existed on one of the Honda CR-V forums last week, but the person who posted it on that forum used wetransfer as the link and when I tried to download it the data transfer link had already expired and was no longer available.

Even if the voice commands do not work for accessing the songs, the ability to use Google Maps on the center display will be a nice addition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
miden851, thank you for posting this. I loaded it onto a 16 gig flashdrive and will install it tomorrow on my 2016 Honda CR-V EX.

I have a decent amount of music on a large flash drive and hope that this update improves the ways I can access specific artist files and songs.

Does anyone know if this update will enable navigation if you did not have it before the update?

You get your choice of Waves, google maps or Apple Maps once you upgrade your system to Apple play.

That is why Apple Play/Android whatever is amazing as you get superior navigation. If data usage is a concern Google Maps allows you to download maps for areas/states etc.

Please note you need a quality apple cable(MFi certified) for this to work reliably. Majority of cheaper cables basically charge phones.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

I'm not sure for 100% whether it will work for android or not; I took the information from CrvOwnerClub and pass it along here; Of course, you may wanna try it in your case but just reviewing the information at the Crv web site some people are having hard time downloading it because the specific head unit in their CRVs; Some of them got an error message or even they need to supply a code number for the unit in the process; Mine did not do any of that although it asked me to hold on power button for 2 sec in order to reset navigation feature in the end yet mine did not have navigation at all but i'm sure it is enabled to have maps installed. So maybe that has something to do with.

Now as apple play goes for itself, there not many app registered with ApplePlay; for example you can stream YT but there is no registered YT app yet so just the black screen appears but you can stream music or video clips; However where it shines is taking phone calls, voice/text messages, maps Google Waze AppleMaps, podcasts, radio app such as TuneIn, and Siri as a voice/personal assistant while on the road making your navigation or XM radio obsolete ; One thing about technology once you exposed to it is very hard to go back. I'm sure they will be adding other apps gradually down the line.

OP, is this an official Honda update or a hack done by a civilian? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Danh
OP, is this an official Honda update or a hack done by a civilian? Thanks.

I think it is aftermarket update but i'm not 100% for sure but I can check it tonight at Honda Link on CRV

I tested CarPlay last night and it is identical to one in my Accord

I loaded the linked download into an empty file on the desktop of my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop, and copied that and loaded it to one 16 Gig flash-drive, and also then opened the file on the desktop file and copied all and loaded that onto a different 16 Gig flash-drive.

Both flash drives were empty and in the past I had had music on both of them that my CR-V recognized.

I tried each of the flash-drives (one only at a time) following the instructions given in the first post on this thread, and neither one was recognized. So both did not work for my vehicle.

OP, could you provide a specific link to the Honda forum that you got the link from?

I did reformat those flash-drives to FAT32 so they would work with music, I wonder if that could cause a problem. I do not think it should because the music system works fine with those flash-drives.

Last edited:
@Jim

I personally did not have any problems and were more than happy, some people may run into error; This is specifically for EX and EXL units without Navigation installed;

All I did I download it to my very old flash drive that had multiple files on it but no music that I ever used it in the car before; What you need to do is to turn everything off, no need to rename or reformat the file, put the jump drive into the port, close the doors, everything off then start the engine and let the unit takes it over, just follow the prompts

I check settings of the HU yesterday and the ApplePlay is fully integrated just like in my Accord

you may want to verify model and firmware no. of your HU before installation and this is mine

Back