2014 Subaru Forester or Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I am considering purchasing a 2015 Subaru Forester or Legacy, but am torn on which to buy. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and opinions on which model YOU personally prefer and why. Also, obviously, I know proper snow tires are the key to inclement weather driving, but am curious if any of you would specifically exclude the Legacy due to its reduced ground clearance when compared to the Forester's clearance.

Forester, with the manual transmission if you're so inclined. The visibility and cargo capacity are great.

Does it snow enough in Virginia to warrant winter tires?

I bought a 2013 Legacy and traded it in on a 2015 Outback for a few reasons. The Legacy and the Outback have the same interiors just one is a sedan and one is a wagon. The trunk in the 2013 Legacy was tiny, there is much more space in the Outback. They drive almost identically. I feel I can push my Outback just as hard as I could push the Legacy (not that you'll really be flying in either car). The MPG hit with going with the SUV is minimal with Subaru and you'll gain cargo space and ground clearance.

The interior is better in the Legacy/Outback IMHO than the Impreza/Forester. If you choose to look at the Outback you're just deciding between form factors. If you want a turbo though, you'll have to go with the Forester.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Does it snow enough in Virginia to warrant winter tires?

Of course it's personal preference, but I would say only if you live west of I81.

Can somebody explain to me what the practical differences are between the Forester and the Outback?

They both seem to fill the same exact market space, just with different styling.

Legacy vs Forester?
Sounds like your decision is between car or SUV
Or CVT only vs choice of manual in the Forester.
Then there's ground clearance, on road vs light offroad.

Either way unless you live as mentioned, West of 81, you will have no need of winter rubber; I used to live near Charlottesville.

FWIW I have 2 friends that own a Legacy, and another that has a Forester. They all love their trouble free vehicles. The Forester owner is a big camper/dog hauler and the Forester has the room he needs.

Why not Outback in the mix?

Personally I think the Outback/Legacy are a much nicer ride then a Forester.

Forester due to the easy of entry/exit with large driver door and vehicle windows have excellent visibility all the way around. Both are big pluses for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Either way unless you live as mentioned, West of 81, you will have no need of winter rubber; I used to live near Charlottesville.

Go figure. I just moved to Charlottesville from DC.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Go figure. I just moved to Charlottesville from DC.

I have a 2012 Legacy. I'm in Salt Lake City and Subarus in general do not need much help by the way of tires. I run all season tires and live on a slight hill that RWD or FWD sometimes can have issues coming up. Not so with the Subarus.

phenix, I owed (leased) a 2012 Legacy, premium package with CVT. It enjoyed the vehicle very much, just didn't care for the low ground clearance and very low (to me) seating. Other than that, they're a great day/day vehicle. Obviously, larger awkward items to haul can be an issue given the sedan format. The factory Bridgstone Turanza EL400s were horrible on my 2012 Legacy, even with help of the AWD. I used Firestone Winterforces in the winter, which made the Legacy like a tank.

I turned that vehicle in and purchased a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek w/ 5spd manual back in Feb 2014. I enjoy the XV too, but REALLY regret not paying the extra money for the CVT.

The XV Crosstrek is fun and versatile, but for the same money, the Forester is a better deal IMO.

If you can stand the looks of it, the Forester is the most bang for your buck with a Subaru. Size, versatility and power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back