2015+ Subaru Legacy v Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the wife did end up replacing her beloved Hyundai Accent last year with a newer Hyundai Accent for getting around the urban environment. Frankly we stole it for the price and got a lot more money back for the old car than we ever anticipated. It was doing a great job for what it needed to do.

Unfortunately it was totaled about a month ago when a negligent driver went over the double solid line head on. My wife only suffered a badly sprained foot and that was the worst of her injuries beyond being shaken up a great deal. Could have been much worse. We are both thankful and grateful to the engineers at Hyundai as the little care performed like a champion despite a much larger car destroying it to a near unrecognizable state. It will now occupy near legendary status in family lore.

All of that said we're trying to figure out a better option for our primary car with phenomenal safety features in addition to some utilitarian value. I'm going to be doing some commute support for her right now with the busted foot and surgery on the horizon - so something with a more comfortable ride than our other car but also checks a few other boxes. We're going to hold our Rio as the secondary urban runabout but are gravitating toward a midsize car or wagon. We've zeroed in on the 2015+ Subaru Legacy or Outback and may decide to pull the trigger if the right deal comes around.

Curious to hear comments and views on these two models. I know there were some engine concerns for the 2011-2013s and I hear some CVT chatter once in a while on the boards. Whichever one we decide on will certainly have Eyesight and all the safety features too as that was always the plan for the next car anyway. Also curious to hear from any Legacy owners and/or if others would push the OB height and 5th door versus the sedan. If folks have additional recommendations that's cool too. Thanks in advance!

My only complaint about the 2012 Legacy 2.5, CVT Premium model I owned was the lack of ground clearance and the low seating. No different than any other sedan in this segment though. Since then, I've owned an XV Crosstrek and a Forester. Always loved the OB, but found that the Forester is the most Subaru you are going to get for your dollar.

I had an Outback and loved it, the difference between that & the legacy is mainly ground clearance. I've always found the 2.5 engine lacking and would suggest for you to try the 3.6R.

I really like my '15 Legacy Premium 2.5i, which I bought last fall with ~30k miles on it (now at 45k). The ride height and green house is less substantial than an Outback (or Forester), but viewing angles are still very good.

You're used to low-powered vehicles, so this being a relatively slow vehicle should not bother you.

With the filter on top and a Fumoto valve installed beneath, oil changes can be performed without jacking up the car.

The CVT is fine. I like the High Torque CVT in our Forester better, but the Legacy's CVT is great. My one pet-peeve, is that the CVT will simulate shifts at anything above ~25% throttle input, which bothers me. Under 25% throttle, and the CVT will maintain 2.XK RPM and accelerate smoothly, without the needless "shifts".

Controls and indications are easy to use and see. The radio is easy to use and the touchscreen is responsive. The Eyesight system is very simple and adaptive cruise control is very nice.

It's a mid-sized sedan. It's not as high-seated as our Forester and it's way larger than our previous Civic, so simple things like parking are just a little bit more complicated, at least until you get used to it. It didn't take me very long to relearn the edges of the car.

//

If you have specific questions, please ask.

I still like ours, for 2018 they quieted down the Outback, for wind noise(added laminated front side windows) and the CVT. For us, a wagon is a requirement, but I assume the Legacy is cheaper and slightly peppier but I have no complaints. The Outback also has a trans cooler to get its 2700lb tow rating. Subaru also extends the CVT warranty out to 10 years or a 100k miles, which is either worrying or reassuring?
City and short trip mileage isn't great(takes a while to heat up all the extra AWD hardware fluids), but on the hwy at 60mph you can get over 30mpg pretty easily which I like since its our long distance family hauler.

The downside of Legacy is the lack of clearance and obviously cargo capabilities.

The upside of Legacy not a high desire model compared to Outback, Forester, CrossTrek so its a better used car value.

Originally Posted by ChiTDI
Better go quick for th H6. They are replacing them with a turbo 4, ending with this build year.

I'd rather wait. The FA is a fabulous engine.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I had a leased 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium for two years before trading it. It's a solid vehicle that was well built. If I got another, I'd go for the 6 cylinder despite the bump in price.

You'd better hurry up - the H6 is likely kaput forever more, in favor of the FA24DIT. That's a good thing

Thank you everyone for the insight and details! Apologies for going dark for a while. Long story short but wife had foot reconstructive surgery and I've had my hands full between staying home and taking care of her along with trying to manage my classes and teaching. All of that said - excellent recovery thus far and now diving back into the car search. Probably going to pull the trigger in the next month.

Now turning to the other questions...are there any particular trims that folks prefer for the Legacy? I have my eye on a 2017 premium with Eyesight suite.

On the Outback I guess same question. Plus do folks find it worth the $$$ for the extra 5th door and ground clearance? A MPG difference too I suppose along with the driving experience...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander

All of that said we're trying to figure out a better option for our primary car with phenomenal safety features in addition to some utilitarian value.

There's nothing utilitarian about a sedan.

Well, there is if it has 4 doors and is big, but I was trying to be blunt.

With the apparent sales prices on them, maybe have the Buick Regal TourX wagon on the radar. It's quick, rated 29mpg highway, AWD, and can carry lots of stuff. Though has standard sedan ground clearance and prefers (though doesn't require) premium gas.

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Now turning to the other questions...are there any particular trims that folks prefer for the Legacy? I have my eye on a 2017 premium with Eyesight suite.

On the Outback I guess same question. Plus do folks find it worth the $$$ for the extra 5th door and ground clearance? A MPG difference too I suppose along with the driving experience...

Certainly any with Eyesight; I love it and it's save me a couple of times already due to local idiots. We're wagon-folk due to large dog owning us and kid stuff. As others noted above, MPG in short trips is horrid, but a decent HWY run gets it back up to low 20's. Have not done a 100+ mile roadie in it yet...that's for summer [Edit: take that back, we did 1 snow trip this winter to Tahoe, and even thru hills in 20's temps, putting around the lake and all with a roof box and loaded with luggage, 3 ppl and doge, it got near 25 MPG].

I would though, from an aesthetic POV, go with a touring trim on the OBK since it gets those nice sleek roof rails and not the left-over LEGO blocks like I have (~$400 retrofit for parts on my '15).

The thought of a 2.4L turbo OBK makes my knees all a'quiver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DejaVue
NewEnglander said:
With the apparent sales prices on them, maybe have the Buick Regal TourX wagon on the radar. It's quick, rated 29mpg highway, AWD, and can carry lots of stuff. Though has standard sedan ground clearance and prefers (though doesn't require) premium gas.

I saw one yesterday, Had a Thule roof rack of sorts on it that was kind of goofy, but WOW was that a great looking vehicle! I know we've talked about the Buick TourX in other threads, but what a shame they basically did nothing to market these. Totally awesome looking vehicle IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back