2014 Mazda 6 prices/specs announced...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad looking car. I'd consider it. Now, if that 2.5l 4-banger was a 2.5l V6, they'd really have something.

Ed

They probably want to tackle the MPG front 1st...
Later on they might introduce a v6, as some people in mazda forums predict, albeit with less MPGs.

Yes, but the V6 will be larger than 2.5l, likely 3.5l just like everybody else. I would like a small for configuration engine that is smooth running, has a very smooth power delivery, and is quick to rev. To me that means no more than 2.5 in a V6 and no more than about 3.5 in a V8.

Ed

First 'real-life' pics posted on the Mazda 6 forum...
Engine oil cap says "0w-20" OMG so thin... :eep: j/k
Look at all that empty space behind the engine!
At least there seems to be a DIPSTICK
smile.gif

Looks like no filter on top
frown.gif
but perhaps under that silvery cover ???

86E64611-5DD6-40C0-A3F9-CDA39EEC6155-3552-0000012A8DF8B497.jpg

03262B4A-57F9-498D-B118-5FEFE311EC94-3552-0000012A6A5DEDDE.jpg

Last edited:
I think specifying 0w-20 is part of how they're getting better gas mileage with the Skyactiv engines (not including the diesel).

I'm not totally sold on the looks... the new front grille looks good but the hood seems really long. That said, I'm sure I would get used to it, considering the car I own currently has one of the most maligned front grilles I can recall and it doesn't bother me in the least.

I think a lot has to do with the angle the pic was taken at...
The hood does look very long in that pic, but when looked at the direct side profile, it looks to be a normal looking hood:

New-2014-Mazda6-side-profile.jpg

Originally Posted By: jdeare
I'm interested to see if they revised the AT somehow, or just tacked on the "DriveSport" name.

Yes it is a completely new SkyActiv-Drive development.
If you go to Page 41 and onwards of this PDF, you can see what's all new about it and its development, etc and mechanical details: (Great details about the engine in the beginning too)

http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speakers/presentations/36/coleman_dave.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah, the hood does appear to be normal in the side pic.

So the PDF info appears to just be about the "Skyactiv-Drive" AT, which is the same thing my 2012 3 has. However, they've now added that "Drive Sport" name. I have a feeling they just needed something to market it. It is a good transmission (so far) though.

First impressions from a guy that works at a Mazda dealership: (I think he's a tech/mechanic there): (Judging by his past posts, he doesn't appear to be biased towards Mazda although he works there)

"...We received our display model this afternoon, Jet Black Mica.

The interior quality is really, really good. Nothing cheap about it. It smokes the new Fusion and is better than the Accord too. All that talk about the small infotainment screen is really bull is you ask me. It looks fine when you actually sit in the car. The quality is much better than a CX-5, which I own, and the quality of that car is really good too.

The look of the car is interesting, it sits very, very low. The roof line is lower than the outgoing model and the hood line is super low too. It really looks like a Jag at some angles.

The sound of the doors closing is similar to a BMW. Very tight and a solid "thunk".

Obviously, I didn't drive the car. It's not allowed to be driven yet..."

Last edited:
If I were to replace my car in the next 5-7 years, I see this as a very viable option for a used car. It sure has piqued my interest more than any other mid-sized sedan that's currently out. It just looks so beautiful.

I saw one yesterday at a Mazda dealer (toying with the idea of buying a new car...a 3 SkyActive). It was in a nice red color with black interior and kind of a gun metal color wheel. (Looked like the one in this pic: http://blog.caranddriver.com/2014-mazda-...el-sport-model/)

The car looked great to be honest. If it could fit in my garage, I'd definitely consider buying one and really wish Mazda had hurried up and updated the 3 to match the design of the CX-5 and 6.

The interior looked great, but I think the interior of the CX-5 is nice too. Good materials, loved the steering wheel. Seats actually have bolsters to them. There is a lot of black, but I for one don't mind it. I'm sure some car mag will knock it for being a "black hole" though, but then they'd also knock some silver trim for looking cheap.

A few of the other sales guys were just standing around staring at it, and they seemed real enthusiastic about it. I overheard one of them saying "Now can you imagine someone comparing this to a Camry and still wanting to buy a Camry?" I hope for Mazda's sake he is right, but we all know Camrys don't necessarily sell because they are the best car.

As 97 T-Bird noted in his post, the roof line on the car was pretty low. Hopefully it doesn't affect rear seat passengers too much.

Last edited:
VicVinegar - thanks for the post!

one should be arriving at my local dealer too...
Good to hear it looks in Person too...
I think the interior is either ..all black (with black/gray seats) or black dash with white seats...(like this): but I and wifey both like all black/grey/darkish interiors

2014-mazda-6-interior-photo-471905-s-520x318.jpg

Last edited:
Local dealer called and said the display car has arrived (he left a msg on my phone)...
...going to take a look tomorrow afternoon or Saturday the latest...
Will take pics or a video (iphone)

if they come out with the wagon, they could only make a premium model, pit it against the TSX wagon, with the diesel of course.

@Vic: go for the Mazda 3 Skyactiv, we love ours ! It gets even better with stickier tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back