2014 Mazda 6 prices/specs announced...

Status
Not open for further replies.
184 HP seems a little meager for this car in top trim. Is there a larger engine available?

97tbird,

Thank you for the pics. It really is a sharp looking car.

Out of curiosity what was the OEM tire brand? My '11 came with 16" Michelins which were 2/32" and needed replacement just under 30k miles. They look like Yokohamas but I can't tell.

I agree with the others, 19" tires are insanely expensive and if they last only 30k like my 16" OEMs did the owner will spend a lot for tires over the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: ET16
184 HP seems a little meager for this car in top trim. Is there a larger engine available?

Not yet - there MIGHT be plans for a v6 or a 'speed' version later on, but nothing confirmed.
A diesel engine with more power/torque has been confirmed to arrive in USA in Sept. this year.

During the test drive the 184 HP 2.5L seemed pretty 'zippy', more than enough for my wife's needs, and even when I drove it, it didn't feel underpowered or anything...

Originally Posted By: GMFan
97tbird,
Out of curiosity what was the OEM tire brand?

They're Dunlop SP Sport 5000 - P225/45R19 on Touring and Grand Touring. The Sport has 225/55/17, probably the same tire...

More info here:
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/channel/...px?prestitial=1
Quote:
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has announced that Mazda’s redesigned 2014 Mazda6 sport sedan will be riding on Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires when the vehicle goes on sale early next year.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: GMFan
97tbird,
Out of curiosity what was the OEM tire brand?

They will be Dunlop SP Sport 5000 - P225/45R19 on Touring and Grand Touring. The Sport will have 225/55/17, probably the same tire...

More info here:
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/channel/...px?prestitial=1
Quote:
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has announced that Mazda’s redesigned 2014 Mazda6 sport sedan will be riding on Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires when the vehicle goes on sale early next year.

Thanks.

Ouch, on tirerack the P225/45R19s go for ~$200/each. A lot of folks don't consider what tire sizes come on these cars and have sticker shock when it comes to replacement time. Bigger tires do look nice though on that car.

Have you thought about buying one of these tbird?

Yeah I wish all trims had the 17" tires at least as as option...I don't like that they're 19" but otherwise it's a great car, and the wheels can be changed later, so not a deal breaker...

As for buying one...
Well this Mazda 6 is one of the contenders for wife's next car...and we (I) wanted something a bit less common than the offerings from Honda, Toyota and Nissan, and wife's criteria were under or $30k and at least 35 mpg hwy and a non-gimmicky interior - This one's EPA est is 38 hwy, and 26 city, and the interior is VERY simple and classy...so it does meet all the points, and she liked it during the test drive a lot, as did I.

We still have to test drive the Passat TDI for a comparison, but we're heavily leaning towards settling on a Mazda 6 ...As i said in one of my earlier posts, the mazda 6 is a lot more car for the money...

We'll see...nothing has been decided yet .

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
...we (I) wanted something a bit less common than the offerings from Honda, Toyota and Nissan, and wife's criteria were under or $30k and at least 35 mpg hwy and a non-gimmicky interior ...

(unsolicited advice) Go drive the Accord, sure it's not as sexy as the 6 and you'll see more on the road but they're really nice cars. The EX with leather and navigation and the 4 cylinder checks off your items (or go EX with the stick shift, forgoe the NAV system and be on your way for $24k).

Oh and it's got 215/55R17 tires
grin.gif

jeff

What about a Malibu
grin.gif
? It's a break from Honda/Toyota/Nissan. It has very good safety performance and is a very quiet and good riding car if that's of any value. I think it deserves a look.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What about a Malibu
grin.gif
? It's a break from Honda/Toyota/Nissan. It has very good safety performance and is a very quiet and good riding car if that's of any value. I think it deserves a look.

I'd rather take a look a Fusion, though. Malibu is a nice looking ride, don't get me wrong, but it kinda small on the inside, despite its exterior size. I think this is the reason why Malibu is not doing so well. For its size people expect a roomier interior.

Funny thing about the Malibu is how cheap I am starting see them.

This is a bad thing if you are buying new, but if you are buying used, this will work to your advantage.

When my wife's PT was wrecked, I pulled up a list of $15,000 cars under 20,000 miles (our PT-GT was $15,000 with 4,000 miles...seemed like a good place to start) I was surprised at how many Malibu 2.4 six-speed autos there were. Not all LS models either. A fair number of LTs. No LTZs of course.

Seemed like they were priced comparably with Cruzes.

I thought the Mazda6 was the cheap car champion. You get a V6 Mazda6 for the price of a 4 cyl Camry LE. But Malibu might have it beaten. You get a Malibu LS 2.4 for the price of a Cruze LS 1.8. 600ccs at no extra charge!

I don't think the Malibu is a bad car at all. It's a little bit rental-car-esque and not a very dynamic driver's car, (neither is the Camry, 200, or Sonata. they are all adequate and will manuever well enough to avoid an accident) but it seems like it would be at least as reliable as the outgoing Fusion model.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I was willing to order a Red CX-5, with a manual transmission, but the dealer couldn't, the Regional rep said no, and Mazda USA also said no. I asked them why every other country can have a red CX-5 with manual, and the US couldn't, and they couldn't come up with a logical reason that I didn't poke huge holes in.

BC.

I abaolutely agree, as long as you are willing to put a nonrefundable deposit down of around 500$ or so, there seems to be no good reason.

The RoW can and do special order vehicles all the time, in some countries especially in Europe this is the normal method of buying a car, you order the exact model and options you want.

It can take up to several months for the car to arrive at the dealer BUT the customer is totally satisfied because he is getting EXACTLY what he wanted. I would love to be able to special order my car.

Yep, go to Honda's site and try to "build" an Accord with a manual transmission. Only color options that come up are black and silver/grey (not sure on the actual "cute" names...). I don't know why this is, but seems to be a trend.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
And maybe so they don't bring a bunch of cars over here that won't sell. Automatics outsells manuals here, especially in the mid-size segment. Why take the chance of importing something that will probably sit on the lot until someone comes along to buy it at a huge discount.

I can understand not importing cars and having them sit on lots unsold, but why not at least allow the customer to ORDER the car exactly the way they want it, in the color they want it to be?

I was willing to order a Red CX-5, with a manual transmission, but the dealer couldn't, the Regional rep said no, and Mazda USA also said no. I asked them why every other country can have a red CX-5 with manual, and the US couldn't, and they couldn't come up with a logical reason that I didn't poke huge holes in.

BC.

It appears to be a regional thing.

I was interested in purchasing a B2300 extended cab SE-5 manual years ago. None of the Mazda dealers in the region had any. Weren't too interested in getting one for me either. Closest they could get was a B3000 Troy Lee Design edition. I like the Vulcan 3.0 just fine but I don't think there is much of a mpg penalty going up to the 4.0 SOHC

They did have plenty of B2300 base models. Vinyl floor, vinyl seat, appliance white paint, steel wheels.... Great if you are buying a parts delivery truck but not very interesting.

Went to visit my wife's family in Ohio. What do I see at the Mazda dealer? B2300 SE-5 manual. There were at least 3 on the lot. White, Gold, and red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back