2014 Mazda 3 unveiled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each their own.

I have to commend Mazda for making the interior beautiful.

But I also have to commend them for making, what I thought to be the most hideous car on the road sans Nissan Versa, even uglier.

I like it, but that nose looks like it should have a inline 6 oriented the right way under it. No trunk space either again, but that seems to be the trend.

I like most of it, but the statement about reducing back seat legroom is like a bad joke. Mine already has less rear seat legroom than my 89 Accord coupe. The back seat, behind me, is not even suitable for an adult. I didn't buy it to use the rear seat much, though, and it would be fine for a family with small children.

Waiting to see some MPG figures.
The i-ELOOP (horrible naming on some of their tech) models are like an 'eco' or 'super fuel economy' option and have lower cD in addition to that regen capacitor. I'm thinking mid 40's for the 2.0L's MPG.

I still like the looks of the 07-09 hatches the best.

How in the world the paint looks so stunning? Is that a camera trick? I will buy just for that paint!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How in the world the paint looks so stunning? Is that a camera trick? I will buy just for that paint!

That's most likely Mazda's Soul Red, like what I have on my CX-5.
It is a stunning color in real life, though they have touched up the picture quite a bit.

Go to your nearest Mazda dealer, and look at either a CX-5 or Mazda 6 in Soul Red to get an idea what the Mazda 3 will look like.

BC.

It's called "Saturation" and "Vibrance" in Photoshop.

I'd take a 3 or 6 over any Honda currently on the road.
48.gif

(I do like Honda a lot. Not bashing just sayin)

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I sure hope mazda can make it work... they are looking for a suitor as they really miss Ford!

Say what?

They just turned their first profit in ages, because of their separation from Ford, and now that they have full responsibility in making product that resonates with the consumers, without having to get the okay from Ford's beancounters anymore.

They are building partnerships with Fiat/Alfa and also Toyota, for building cars for the other manufacturers to sell under their nameplates (Toyota Yaris, Alfa Spyder). Other car companies are in talks with Mazda to license the SkyActiv technologies that they have developed on their own.

Mazda has dropped nearly everything that Ford fouled up for them, and is much stronger because of it. The only thing left of Ford in Mazda's lineup is the V-6 engine in the CX-9. That will be gone soon, when the SkyActiv Diesel engine replaces it, next year.

BC.

If my 2011 Mazda6 got wrecked tomorrow I'd head right to the Mazda dealer for a new Mazda6 or Mazda3. These cars are a poor mans BMW.
grin.gif

After 36,000 miles it still drives, feels and sounds like the day I took it home. No regrets on my Mazda purchase.
smile.gif

I believe Mazda made the screen stick out of the dash because a lot of folks will presumably be ordering the car without the screen and they don't want an awkward blank plate in the dash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's called "Saturation" and "Vibrance" in Photoshop.

Next thing you are going to tell me is that all those supermodels are enhanced by computer :)

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I sure hope mazda can make it work... they are looking for a suitor as they really miss Ford!

Say what?

They just turned their first profit in ages, because of their separation from Ford, and now that they have full responsibility in making product that resonates with the consumers, without having to get the okay from Ford's beancounters anymore.

They are building partnerships with Fiat/Alfa and also Toyota, for building cars for the other manufacturers to sell under their nameplates (Toyota Yaris, Alfa Spyder). Other car companies are in talks with Mazda to license the SkyActiv technologies that they have developed on their own.

Mazda has dropped nearly everything that Ford fouled up for them, and is much stronger because of it. The only thing left of Ford in Mazda's lineup is the V-6 engine in the CX-9. That will be gone soon, when the SkyActiv Diesel engine replaces it, next year.

BC.

Some facts for you are available in the July issue of Car and Driver. A great article by Jim Hall explains the complexities very well. Note that I said I was hopeful for them. But their volume is too low for an International company, and that will make it tough even if they made the best cars on the planet.

It would be a shame for what has become many folks, (including myself) favorite car manufacturer to go out of business. They make nice, sporty cars for a fair price. Its tough to find a better value. Hope they can find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back