2014 Hyundai Accent: Oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll have him switch to the Fram Ultra filter next round. Should he just stick to the PP 5W20? Any benefit to switching to either 5w30 or PUP 5w20/30? I forgot to mention the car does get the occasional Amsoil PI dumped in the tank, usually a double dose since it's an 11 gallon tank and PI treats up to 20.

Personally, I prefer 30 but I don't think you'll go wrong with either. I would run the Platinum unless you can find a discounted Ultra Platinum. The Platinum PurePlus seems to be really solid.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: Danno
I highly recommend using the OEM filter. Built like a tank and gives the proper oil pressures.

I wish this rumor would die.

Does the filter provide higher flow? Higher than what? I would say that the OEM filter is on the upper end of flow rates, but I guess that is to be expected from filter rated to 50 microns.

Is it the only one that allows "the proper oil pressures"? Not by a long shot. Fram Ultra has a Hyundai-specific design, which is a much better filter for only $2 more. If the concern is that extra $2, please know that the Hyundai OEM filter is rated to 7,500 miles and the Fram Ultra is rated to 15k, so you can actually save money by running the Fram the full 15k.

Is it build like a tank? Well, to be honest I'm not really sure what this means. The filter is not an extended drain filter and it does not provide even close to similar filtration as top tier filters.

This is the Hyundai OEM filter compared to a Mobil1 filter:

Mobil1 filter particle counts:
ISO Code (3): 15/14/12
>= 2 Micron: 479
>= 5 Micron: 177
>= 10 Micron: 49
>= 15 Micron: 19
>= 25 Micron: 4 (typical aftermarket filter rated to 20micron)
>= 50 Micron: 0
>= 100 Micron: 0

Hyundai OEM 26300 35503:
ISO Code (3): 17/17/14
>= 2 Micron: 2474
>= 5 Micron: 916
>= 10 Micron: 253
>= 15 Micron: 98
>= 25 Micron: 23
>= 50 Micron: 2

Now, can you use the Hyundai OEM filter? Of course. If that's what makes you sleep better at night, go for it. However, there are better filters out there that can actually save you money and are rated to 20 microns as opposed to 50 microns.

If you decide to look into aftermarket filters, look for filters that have a silicone anti-drain back valve. I recommend the Fram Ultra, which for this 2014 Accent would be: XG9688.

As for oil, I've heard of people running 0W-20/30 with lots of success, and in the case of Mobil1 AFE, the OW seems to be mostly PAO based. However, most any oil will work in the XW-20/30 range.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree that FRAM Ultra is a great choice here. To add to the motor oil choices, Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 or 5W-20 is very good as well, especially on startup in Hyundai/KIA vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
I highly recommend using the OEM filter. Built like a tank and gives the proper oil pressures.

Does the filter provide higher flow? Higher than what? I would say that the OEM filter is on the upper end of flow rates, but I guess that is to be expected from filter rated to 50 microns.

Is it the only one that allows "the proper oil pressures"? Not by a long shot. Fram Ultra has a Hyundai-specific design, which is a much better filter for only $2 more. If the concern is that extra $2, please know that the Hyundai OEM filter is rated to 7,500 miles and the Fram Ultra is rated to 15k, so you can actually save money by running the Fram the full 15k.

Is it build like a tank? Well, to be honest I'm not really sure what this means. The filter is not an extended drain filter and it does not provide even close to similar filtration as top tier filters.

Hyundai OEM 26300 35503:

Now, can you use the Hyundai OEM filter? Of course. If that's what makes you sleep better at night, go for it. However, there are better filters out there that can actually save you money and are rated to 20 microns as opposed to 50 microns.

If you decide to look into aftermarket filters, look for filters that have a silicone anti-drain back valve. I recommend the Fram Ultra, which for this 2014 Accent would be: XG9688.

As for oil, I've heard of people running 0W-20/30 with lots of success, and in the case of Mobil1 AFE, the OW seems to be mostly PAO based. However, most any oil will work in the XW-20/30 range.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree that FRAM Ultra is a great choice here. To add to the motor oil choices, Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 or 5W-20 is very good as well, especially on startup in Hyundai/KIA vehicles.

Magnatec is a great choice. Maybe I'm just buying into the marketing, but anything to help the startups on these Kia/Hyundai motors is well worth it in my book.

Although I have a stash and been using OEM filters, I've had a NAPA Pro Select filter on (1st OC) it seems to do just fine.

Been using PYB 5w-30 (cap has 5w-20). MagnaTec is one I been thinking of trying and the price I seen on Amazon I thought was decent although I haven't priced MagnaTec elsewhere. Then again I thought the Edge and Edge extended was well priced too. And will look into the Ultra filter replacement (but have about a 5 or 6 OEMs left).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

DI engines make more soot. This makes for black oil

Makes sense, I guess I didn't notice it before. When he comes in for a change I'm usually in a hurry and not paying that close of attention anyways.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
http://articles.sae.org/13624/

Quote:
Unhealthy soot
Confirmation of the hazard comes via a recent study conducted by researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) Fuels, Engines and Emissions Research Center who found that sample GDI engines emit five to 10 times more particulate matter than their PFI counterparts.

Can a dual rated HDEO CJ4/SM SN do a cleaning up of residual soots .?
That's a good question. Maybe an hdeo oil could do a better job suspending soot & certain other contaminants in the oil. Which might help the engine stay cleaner. idk

Hyundai OEM 26300 35503:

Interesting read.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4480755/Genuine_Kia_oil_filter_5200mi_

Hyundai OEM 26300 35503:

Interesting read.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4480755/Genuine_Kia_oil_filter_5200mi_

Just more pics. what's the filtering efficiency of them? Shouldn't that be the primary spec to consider for a filter?

Alright, one last question without beating a dead horse:

Assuming the use of an XG9688, which oil would you run at 5k intervals while changing the filter at 10k:

Continue with PP 5w20 or switch to...

Castrol Magnatec 5w20
Amsoil OE Synthetic 5w20

It looks like the cost is about the same for all three, give or take. I only bring up Amsoil because I stock it at work and get it for ~$4.50 a quart. From the looks of it, I could bring the other two down in that range if I wait for a rebate or sale.

SHOZ : So the XG3593A will fit the same base as the XG9688 ? I suppose it's longer ?
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I am using the Fram ultra XG9688 on both my Hyundais. Next week I'll change the oil on the Genesis Coupe and cut the filter open. It will have about 10k miles on it (2 years). My Accent went most of it's life on the OEM filters but now is at 10k miles on the XG9688 and I'll go the whole 15k miles (1 year) on it.

The Genesis Coupe will get a slightly bigger filter next time with the Fram XG3593A.

That being said my Accent was ran on M1 0w20 most of it's life either AFE or the regular stuff, now on M1 5w30 high mileage. Burns less oil now then it ever did. The Genesis Coupe gets M1 0w40.

I have used the Fram Ultra XG9688 in my Elantra with great results and no filter issues . Next , I will try the XG9688 on my new Sonata OR if the XG3593A fits I may try that . My Elantra gets M1 5W20 while my next fill in the Sonata will be M1 10W30 (allowed) for the low NOACK and more head room to guard against the GDI noted fuel deletion . The Sedona gets a thinner PP 5W30 - it too uses a Fram Ultra (cartridge filter) with great results .

FWIW; the 2L I-4 in my Soul is much quieter on start-up with the OEM Kia filter on it; and 30-weight oil in it.

As the OEM filters are the same price as aftermarket filters here, my plan is to stick with them; and since Kia allows for the use of 30-weight, I will most likely stick with that.

I have used the Fram Ultra XG9688 in my Elantra with great results and no filter issues . Next , I will try the XG9688 on my new Sonata OR if the XG3593A fits I may try that . My Elantra gets M1 5W20 while my next fill in the Sonata will be M1 10W30 (allowed) for the low NOACK and more head room to guard against the GDI noted fuel deletion . The Sedona gets a thinner PP 5W30 - it too uses a Fram Ultra (cartridge filter) with great results .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
SHOZ : So the XG3593A will fit the same base as the XG9688 ? I suppose it's longer ?
I am using the Fram ultra XG9688 on both my Hyundais. Next week I'll change the oil on the Genesis Coupe and cut the filter open. It will have about 10k miles on it (2 years). My Accent went most of it's life on the OEM filters but now is at 10k miles on the XG9688 and I'll go the whole 15k miles (1 year) on it.

The Genesis Coupe will get a slightly bigger filter next time with the Fram XG3593A.

That being said my Accent was ran on M1 0w20 most of it's life either AFE or the regular stuff, now on M1 5w30 high mileage. Burns less oil now then it ever did. The Genesis Coupe gets M1 0w40.
Yes it is 1/3" longer but same base and diameter. It's also speced for some older
Hyundais.

Nice - thanks ! Looks like if you have the clearance no reason not to use the slightly taller XG3593A .
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

Yes it is 1/3" longer but same base and diameter. It's also speced for some older
Hyundais.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back