2014 Honda CRV 2.4L - 11 mos/12.5k Miles - MS5K 5w-20

My 2017 Accord sport burns/uses (whatever) a 1/2 to 1 quart per 5000 miles. Little over 71K miles on it

Her 2015 Altima burns/uses zero oil over 8K mile intervals.

I check dipstick at least once a week on both just because that’s what I was taught as a teenager

I think you misunderstood.

If out of 100 vehicles, 10-15 have dry dipsticks because they burned MORE THEN a quart between service and requires the owners to take action, that’s a problem. Your average Joe doesn’t check or add oil. You shouldn’t NEED TOO if the engine is healthy. Period.

I get the feeling that you’ve never owned a vehicle where the oil level stays perfectly full, even as the car ages past 10 years old and 100k+ miles and you end up forgetting where the hood latch is, because you never NEED TOO open the hood to check anything. It’s all PERFECT. 😍
I've put 5,828 miles, this oil change, on my F-350 & the dipstick is reading to the full mark. I've added no oil. So yes I have.

Oil consumption alone does not indicate engine health or usefulness. It never has, and it never will. It is not a useful measure for anything, really, except itself. My "low stress" Ford V10 uses oil and my son's "high stress" N20 BMW does not. I could go on and on.

I usually like your posts, Artem, but I have to disagree with you on this. (I used to spin wrenches for a living also, and have seen, worked on, tore down, rebuilt, talked about, heard of, trained on, hundreds of engines. Definitely not to blow my horn, just to give some idea of my POV.)

Last edited:
About 2L of make up oil was used during the interval, so looking for some feedback on my first ever UOA; filter c&p here
OCI is evidently too long for this oil. I would use a xXw30 grade in that engine and use something with a higher quality DP like Valvoline Advanced or XoM M1 products then limit to 9 or 10 K.

Or conversely - and likely better overall - perform a (2x) seasonal OCI of late Fall and Early Spring. You could run a lighter oil in the WIntrer and a 10W30 in the Warmer months.

Surprised to see a sodium detergent package on a current lubricant - unless you are working off old inventory.
- Ken

View attachment 154055
About 2L of make up oil was used during the interval, so looking for some feedback on my first ever UOA; filter c&p here
I would like to know, when was the make up oil added? At what mileage of the 12.5k interval. Was it evenly at 6k miles or was the 2L added toward the end of the oci? How as the oil added? A liter at a time? Or multiple top ups to equal 2L.

This ⬆️ ; as needed whenever I got a chance to check it. Hard to remember exactly how much, but I would say close to 2L, maybe a little less.
I've seen some cars, i don't know why, use a bit then stop around the 1/2 quart mark. If you add , it uses again to the 1/2 quart mark. I'd be curious how much it would use, if you waited till the add mark to top up.

GSCJR,

My .02 on your report for what it's worth:

Iron is high, and I especially don't like seeing the lead.

Change the oil brand, and shorten the OCI, then re-test if you want.

I would go thicker maybe a 0w-30 and shorten the oci. You may have too many short trips in cold weather, to run this oil that long.

Back