2014 Durango front brakes after 149,000 miles

I like it. We had a similar surprise when I looked at our odyssey brakes a few weeks back. That van is supposed to have pulsating brakes and massive pad and rotor wear. Probably be on its second set of each, going on its third. Not ours. And it sees lots of local use.

@Shel_B 65 years of driving must mean that you are 80+.
Congratulations on your longevity.

In your opinion, when is the point that you will hang it up?!?
I started driving at 12 years old, sneaking my mom's car out at night after she went to sleep. At first, I just drove around the block, then expanded to driving around the neighborhood, and about the time I turned 13 I was making longer trips, from our semi-suburban neighborhood into NYC and then expanding out to the other boroughs and onto Long Island and into New Jersey and Connecticut.

When I got my Learner's Permit, my uncle would let me drive the Jag as long as he was with me. Once, however, he gave me the keys so I could drive to the auto parts store to get a set of plugs for the car. You can be sure that I took a route so as many of my friends as possible would see me.

1664254192233.jpeg

As for how long I'll continue driving, well, that depends on my health and reflexes. I'm very much aware that my reflexes are not as good and as quick as they were 10 years ago, and I drive accordingly. My mom drove until she was 91, Sweetie until she was 92, and my uncle, shown above, into his early 90s. I love long-distance driving, and if I can continue into my 90s I'd be very happy. However, there's a balance between my freedom and independence, and safety, and when I don't feel comfortable I'll curtail driving.

I was encouraged to drive at an early age. When I was about 5 years old my dad would put me on his lap and I'd steer the car while he worked the pedals. We only did this on one particular stretch of road where there was no traffic and where we had an unobstructed view for quite a distance. We had a 1948 Kaiser at the time:

1664287597251.jpeg

My, oh my ... probably more than you expected, but for me, it was a pleasant reminiscence of a nice time in my life.

Last edited:
I will let up more and more on the brakes to the point that my passenger(s) can't tell when we actually stopped. The "did you feel the car stop?" game doesn't help my brakes last any longer, but it is a fun little game I can play every time I coast to a red light.
I actually do this too. Not sure how you are not getting brake glaze on yours. But I start to get squeals prematurely from doing this.

I thought brake glazing comes from excessive heat? Mine certainly don't get too hot.
not really, it's from polishing discs. Braking hard can maybe remove the glaze.

I get it too when I run my track brakes on the street in the same way you do. Mirror smooth finish. But when roads are clear (no witnesses I guess) I can remove it quickly enough.

Back