2014 Durango front brakes after 149,000 miles

I will let up more and more on the brakes to the point that my passenger(s) can't tell when we actually stopped. The "did you feel the car stop?" game doesn't help my brakes last any longer, but it is a fun little game I can play every time I coast to a red light.
My passengers hold on for dear life 😂

I will let up more and more on the brakes to the point that my passenger(s) can't tell when we actually stopped. The "did you feel the car stop?" game doesn't help my brakes last any longer, but it is a fun little game I can play every time I coast to a red light.
,,,,..quality driving, with passenger comfort as the priority. As taught in chauffeur school!

*Cries in SRT*

I'll never get anywhere near that brake life, lol. I'm going to be lucky to get 40,000km out of the front brakes on the Jeep.

The truck on the other hand, it seems to be wearing like yours. Corrosion will likely take out the rotors before they or the pads wear out.

This is the left front brake rotor and outside pad after 149,000 miles, these are factory original. Even I was surprised how much material is left on the pad and how little the rotor is worn. I've stated before that I drive like I'm the guy who pays for the gas, tires, and brakes. You can clearly see I'm not kidding.
And po everyone driving behind you. Just saying...

Last edited:
And po everyone driving behind you
People think they get to their destination faster by driving as fast to the light, then slamming on their brakes. They don't, but they sure do in their minds.

I had to look up what "po" means. I don't speak dialect very well.

po'
/pō,po͝oə,pô/

adjective
US
adjective: po'
  1. short for poor, used to represent dialectal speech.

People think they get to their destination faster by driving as fast to the light, then slamming on their brakes. They don't, but they sure do in their minds.

po'
/pō,po͝oə,pô/

adjective
US
Take a guess...

No one is advocating driving as fast as they can and slamming on brakes but a guy that takes a mile to slow down is as bad...

I learned that technique in Drivers Ed back in 1961. Our instructor emphasized smoothness in driving.

a guy that takes a mile to slow down is as bad
A mile? That's possibly a bit of an exaggeration.

This is the typical scenario. I'm on a road that's two lanes in the same direction and the speed limit is 45 MPH. I look ahead and see the light several blocks ahead is red, so I lift off the gas and coast. Another car passes me and I see his brake lights come on just before the light, which means there was some pretty heavy braking. Heavy braking is what wears brakes and tires. I coast up to the light and as it turns green I don't have to stop, but the heavy braker is stopped, so I pass him and I end up ahead of him. No harm no foul, he can pass me if he wishes. Nobody is butt-hurt.

On a one lane road, I'm aware that people are trapped behind me and am polite about not coasting for 'a mile'. However, my brake application is light and longer in duration than someone who drives to the light. Light braking over a longer duration causes much less wear than heavy braking over a shorter duration. Sometimes people get but-hurt over this, but in reality, I didn't delay anyone in getting to their destination. Their delay is only in their mind.

Take a guess...

No one is advocating driving as fast as they can and slamming on brakes but a guy that takes a mile to slow down is as bad...
No one said that Wayne takes a mile to slow down.

Is your criticism intended for Wayne, or just a rant?

No one said that Wayne takes a mile to slow down.

Is your criticism intended for Wayne, or just a rant?
Just an observation. Guys that drive 45 mph in a 55 zone and take that mile to slo down and “save” their brakes. Lol

po'
/pō,po͝oə,pô/

adjective
US
Pissed off, is what they were sayy

In stop and go traffic in a congested urban area doubt if we ever hit 50k on a set of front brakes before they no longer would pass the annual safety inspection in NY.

Mix of highway and local.

I look way ahead and coast when there is a red light. No need to drive all the way to the light, then hard on the brakes. I see it every day and wonder if people realize how much longer their brakes and tires would last if they would chill on the brake pedal.
Just incredible! Great job.

Funny you mention this. That is exactly how i brake when possible and feel about my fellow motorists.

Back