2014 Durango front brakes after 149,000 miles

wwillson

Staff member
This is the left front brake rotor and outside pad after 149,000 miles, these are factory original. Even I was surprised how much material is left on the pad and how little the rotor is worn. I've stated before that I drive like I'm the guy who pays for the gas, tires, and brakes. You can clearly see I'm not kidding.

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

Highway miles or just that easy on the brakes?
Mix of highway and local.

Brake pedal delete? In all seriousness, I would love to see how you are braking
I look way ahead and coast when there is a red light. No need to drive all the way to the light, then hard on the brakes. I see it every day and wonder if people realize how much longer their brakes and tires would last if they would chill on the brake pedal.

I look way ahead and coast when there is a red light. No need to drive all the way to the light, then hard on the brakes. I see it every day and wonder if people realize how much longer their brakes and tires would last if they would chill on the brake pedal.
I try that, but then people ride my tail. I can only do it when nobody is behind me

Not that you care or should care, I know you must have annoyed several drivers behind you over the years.
Several? That's a gross underestimate! I pull to a stop at the light beside the same person who rode my rear end and flipped me off as they raced around me. Some people don't seem to be able to think more than an inch past the end of their nose.

Last edited:
Several? That's a gross underestimate! I pull to a stop at the light beside the same person who rode my rear end and flipped me off as the race around me. Some people don't seem to be able to think more than an inch past the end of their nose.
You can never drive good enough for anyone. Everyday, people go flying past me in the right lane, one a 2 lane road, that I have to be in the left lane to turn left. Speed limit is 45. I'll be going 50, sometimes faster, and people will go flying past me at about 70-80 mph, just to fly over into the left lane, and I'll be right behind them at the traffic light to turn left.

And then, people get mad if I don't brake at the last second. Sad times

Where are the grooves in the rotor? I’ve done 100k on a set before, but the braking surface looks like record.

Very impressive considering the stop and go driving Mix.

You must drive that vehicle everyday.

I almost get the same life out of mine ( manual, downshift ) with OEM parts but not quite as long ( car can sit two days at airport plus bad winters ).

Some people are very hard on brakes.

You look after you stuff well Wayne.

Be curious how long brakes last in places like Colorado.

Last edited:
Where are the grooves in the rotor? I’ve done 100k on a set before, but the braking surface looks like record.
I didn't make them... :cool:
I don't think there are many or deep grooves. I think the angle of the camera and angle of a small point light source makes it look like more than is there.

I've seen deep scarring on a rotor, and those are fine.

👍
Looks very similar to the brakes on the Chrysler in my signature. We bought it new in December of 2014 and it has the original pads and rotors at 143,000+ miles. Lots of highway miles, plenty of stop and go, and the brakes are still in great shape because we use the brakes like they’re on a passenger car, not a race car. The fact that we don’t use salt down here like you folks in the north do helps as well. 🤔
Some people just don’t understand that you can drive normally and still save the brakes. I’ve always braked normally, but ease up off the pedal as I roll to an easy stop. I can’t stand riding with someone that gives me whiplash every time they have to stop at a light or stop sign.

Last edited:
I can’t stand riding with someone that gives me whiplash every time they have to stop at a light or stop sign.
I will let up more and more on the brakes to the point that my passenger(s) can't tell when we actually stopped. The "did you feel the car stop?" game doesn't help my brakes last any longer, but it is a fun little game I can play every time I coast to a red light.

Back