2013 Mustang GT - Brembo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am in the process of looking at a new vehicle if things work out. I am seriously considering the above vehicle and I have some questions for owners / aficionados:

1) Does this vehicle have a TPMS system?

2) What is the owner's manual specified oil requirement? I think is is conventional 5w20 but I am not sure. Some models possibly require 5w50 (Shelby, Boss) but I also see information that a GT with the Track Pac (Brembo) may require 5w50 as well. Does anyone know for sure?

2a) If it is the 5w50, can anyone clarify the WSS-M2C931-B specification issue, that is where motor oil meeting this spec is the only approved oil and, of course, this is a dealer specific oil only currently.

3) While on the subject of specialized oil requiements, what oil is used in the Torsen 3.73 that this vehicle comes with? Off the shelf GL5 or something special?

Thanks,

Marc

i believe being a GT it will spec a 5w20 weight oil. The engineers at ford have designed this engine to work well with the 5w20. They have equipped the engine with a fail safe mode that will keep the oil from getting to hot in the rare case that it may.

The 5w50 is a spec for the boss and Shelby cars. These cars use a different type of piston forging from what i understand, and are intended for "heavier" use. The boss being track oriented and the shelby running a large blower with good boost.

The GT uses the 5w20 because it will provide good protection while allowing optimum efficiency. They typical GT car is used as a daily driver, weekend warrior therefore it does not need a super thick oil to be protected. the grand majority of mustang owners wont spend 30 mins at a time at 5-7k RPM on a closed course in their GT so there is no need to use Expensive 5w5o oil.

The Ford engineers also have supposedly left out a spot to install and oil cooler if you do not have faith in their engineering and oil choice.

I personally have supercharged a older 4.6 mustang running 10 lbs boost and supporting mods. i never had and issue using motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w20 in it. it was my daily driver and weekend track warrior.

The differential will have ford motorcraft 75w-140 synthetic gear oil with 4oz of friction modifier. the motorcraft gear lube is a top notch lube

Why? Do you feel you have more knowledge of the 5.0 Coyote than the people who designed it?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If I were to ever buy a GT,I`d use Syntec 5W50 in it.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
The GT with just the Brembo package requires 5w20, a GT with the "Track Pack" requires 5w50.

That's interesting, I thought only the BOSS 302 version of the Coyote required 5w50. Where did this information come from? I'm quite curious!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
FWIW

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/2013-track-pack-information-509464/

That is VERY interesting, because the engine is mechanically identical to the regular GT, whilst the BOSS 302 engine had some slight internal changes. I recall this being the basis of a discussion we had on here a while back with regards to oil temperature and Ford's oil choice for these cars and the dramatic difference between the two recommended oil grades for almost identical engines. Now we have an example of the exact same engine spec'ing the heavier grade due to how it is intended to be used.
thumbsup2.gif

The GT with just the Brembo package requires 5w20, a GT with the "Track Pack" requires 5w50.

Hi, there is a bit of confusion in the package names in Canada. We have two packages for the GT: a GT Brake Performance Package and a GT Brembo Brake Racing Package, these are equivalent to the US released Brembo Brake Package and GT Track Package respectively.

To be clear the package I am looking at (called in Canada the GT Brembo Brake Racing Package) has in addition to the upgraded brake components, the Boss radiator, 3.73 Torsen and engine oil cooler just like the US GT Track Package.

Given that, you are suggesting that the motor requires the 5w50 then I presume.

DuckRyder: This was a wealth of info:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/2013-track-pack-information-509464/

so thanks.

It appears 5w50 is the oil of choice with the unusual spec WSS-M2C931-B.

This is the pdf of the supplement:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/attac...on-untitled.jpg

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If it's a Torsen, then no FM is necessary, as there are no clutches.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but that is not what the owners manual supplement linked directly above your post says.

Consider the Brembo package but not the track Pac. Do you really want 3.73 and Torsen? Most of the Mustang guys like the standard 3.31. some say it is actually faster in the quarter due to no 4-5 shift.

Just follow the manufactures recommendation, Ford knows what they are doing.

They probably recommend a different oil for track use because the motor will see higher oil temperatures on a track, which makes sense.

Last edited:

I hate to be a buzzkill, but that is not what the owners manual supplement linked directly above your post says.

If it's a gear-type, then the OM is wrong. Unless I'm mistaken, the Torsen has no clutches that would require FM usage.

If it's a gear-type, then the OM is wrong. Unless I'm mistaken, the Torsen has no clutches that would require FM usage.

I agree with you in principal , but I find it very strange that Ford would print an owners manual supplement for a very specific option listing a friction modifier if it was not required.

Torsen says that their T1 diffs require an oil with EP additives, but it looks like this diff is a T2R.

It is a mystery.

RE:

1) In the US TPMS is mandated, but the OP is in Canada. I wonder if that makes a difference?

2a) Man that is an obscure spec. Not sure about CA but the pickins for 5-50 in the US are slim and it appears Motorcraft is the only approved oil. Mobil 1 5W-50 "Rally" carries quite a few warranty approvals but that is not one of them. Castols website is horrible so I am not sure about it.

Question RE the linked thread: Are those guys saying that ford eliminated the piston oilers in the "track pack" and included the other boss upgrades?

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/2013-track-pack-information-509464/index2/#post6367363

Are there actually different pistons in these two option's engines to warrant the vast difference in oils, or are they just covering their behinds requiring the heavy stuff for the "Track Pack" (due to suggested use)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back