2013 Dodge Dart Limited 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes clutch is super light on my 500t. I drove our older frontier pickup that was sitting for several month. Oh my god, clutch seemed so heavy. Not sure if they will fit dart,but you can get short shifter for 500. Check roadracemotorsports website, they sell stuff fo darts and fiats.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How is the gearbox aka shifter? Have you driven Civic/ILX 6-speed?

It's fine to me. It's comparable to the 04-08 TSX, which I feel is one of the best.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
Yes clutch is super light on my 500t. I drove our older frontier pickup that was sitting for several month. Oh my god, clutch seemed so heavy. Not sure if they will fit dart,but you can get short shifter for 500. Check roadracemotorsports website, they sell stuff fo darts and fiats.

They do sell a short throw shifter, but I haven't thought about putting one in yet.

The crack in your driveway needs filling. I like the car and think it looks better than the Chevy and Ford counterparts. Were you tempted to get a lime green colored one?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0

Durability was a key concern of mine. I've NEVER owned a turbo and never really thought I would. My wife is half British so I called her cousins in the UK and asked about the reliability of the Alfa Guillietta and Abarth... no problems they've heard.

The manual has a longish throw... I can accidentally turn the HVAC off going into 3rd, but I like the throw and feel. Clutch is super light.

I'm also driving my first turbo car right now and loving it. While it does mean more stuff on the car to fail, it seems like the tech has come pretty far. I'm not too worried and sounds like you're not either. Plus there's just something really cool about a little turbine wheel spinning 100k RPM when you get on the gas
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
The crack in your driveway needs filling. I like the car and think it looks better than the Chevy and Ford counterparts. Were you tempted to get a lime green colored one?
I want lime green or orange one, with color matching grill and active shutters.
BTW OP, does your Dart have active grill shutters?

I believe both the 6 speed manual and 6 speed auto are Hyundai-sourced by Chrysler. I drove one of these (1.4T) months ago and really liked the feel and drive of the car. I did feel it had a split personality regarding power...too little throttle or in too high of gear and it seemed doggy...then takes off as the turbo spools up. In fairness, I didn't have time to acclimate to the turbo. I'd consider one with a 2.4L...wonder if Chrysler is considering a hatch version?

There is supposedly a large displacement N/A four banger with Fiat's patented Multi-Air system on it in the pipeline.

I am waiting to see how that works. Multi-Air makes nice power.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
There is supposedly a large displacement N/A four banger with Fiat's patented Multi-Air system on it in the pipeline.

I am waiting to see how that works. Multi-Air makes nice power.

It will be interesting to see if Chrysler incorporates multi-air into the Pentastar V6 line. Seems like it could be something that would benefit any of their engines, assuming it's already DOHC.

since we were talking about fancy names, what is multi-air? is it similar to variable valve timing and/or lift and/or variable intake runner lengths? If so, isn't that just a variation on the existing technologies?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
since we were talking about fancy names, what is multi-air? is it similar to variable valve timing and/or lift and/or variable intake runner lengths? If so, isn't that just a variation on the existing technologies?

Here is the Car and Driver explanation. Basically it is a variable valve timing system, but Fiat's method of implementation is rather ingenious.

OK, I see the difference. Honda uses VTEC solenoid to select one of the two fixed profile but Fiat innovation ends up dynamically changing the profile i.e. it is able to provide infinite control over the profile by controlling the lift points. That is definitely clever although that actuator better last for the life of the engine!

It seems ingenious and doesn't require a camshaft, but I wonder of the life of the actuator. Not only that, it uses the engine oil and when an owner neglects it I would suppose there would be more problems. Still love the concept and supposedly they are working on developing one that does both the intake and exhaust valves eliminating the camshafts altogether.

ref

The description has not made it clear to me if they have really eliminated throttle plate or not. Even though the invention started with the objective of reducing the pumping losses due to the throttle plate, needing fail-safe operation must have ruled out removal of the throttle plate. So the engine must has to have electronic throttle plate with fail-proof dual controls (aka usual DBW) plus the multi-air gizmo. Because if they eleminate the throttle plate and only use the multi-air and if there is a failure in that system, the engine will behave as if full open throttled and full lfft and duration cam profile resulting in Toyota syndrome of runway engine.

Even BMW's Valvetronic retains a throttle plate. I would agree they need it for liability issues that would arise with a freak failure.

Still one of the few new technologies that yields real horsepower and economy.

Yes yes... the crack needs filling... more like the whole driveway needs to be torn up and re-poured/placed.

The manual trans I believe is a Fiat unit. C635? If it's a Hyundai unit... well I'll be shocked.

As for active grill shutters, yes it does. I believe all 1.4Ts come with it. Along with the underbody aero treatment.

It appears that the 6 speed manual IS a Fiat unit (I stand corrected). The 6 speed auto is from Hyundai, though (at least until the new 9 speed auto is fitted).

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Do the modern Turbos require an idle down period for a few minutes like the older ones did?

Nope, not unless you're really beating the snot out of it. Doing WOT hill runs or sustained 80+ mph driving, then idle for a minute to let it cool down some. These new turbos are water and oil cooled, with the water cooling relying on convection to cool the turbo after engine shutdown.

The only time I idle my Cruze is after really caning it. Otherwise I shut it off like a NA gas-engine car.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Do the modern Turbos require an idle down period for a few minutes like the older ones did?

Nope, not unless you're really beating the snot out of it. Doing WOT hill runs or sustained 80+ mph driving, then idle for a minute to let it cool down some. These new turbos are water and oil cooled, with the water cooling relying on convection to cool the turbo after engine shutdown.
Yes, mine is buzzing couple minutes after engine shut off,looks like cooling system still working.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back