I bought another Sonata

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here we are, back at it again with another Hyundai. I've liked my previous two, I think this will be a decent one too.

An elderly neighbor of mine passed away in June and her family decided to sell her car. It's a 2007 Hyundai Sonata, base model GLS with the 2.4L (before they blew up all the time). Only has 97k miles. Patty got it from her brother 2-3 years ago and he had bought it new. I paid $2,500.

It's in decent shape for it's age. Most of its life it was parked in a carport so the back has faded clear coat and the roof is very early in the beginning stages of fading too. I've replaced the left rear window regulator and driver's outer door handle. The handle took 5 minutes and cost $10 for an OEM one. Just need to get a color match spray can to match it up, or not. I've cleaned up the interior plastics and just need to shampoo the seats and carpet. The outside I'll try to shine up a little more. It could use a set of tires. The tread is ok but they're almost 7 years old, I'll wait for a sale. It'll be getting a transmission drain and fill, thermostat, spark plugs, and filters. It runs and drives great, pretty good power for a 4 cylinder and everything is tight with no squeaks or rattles. I also ordered a cheap Jensen Apple CarPlay radio.

So I'm not 100% sure what the plan is for it. My sister is a senior in high-school and I'm thinking of letting her drive it, but I'll probably let her prove her driving skills in the Camry first. For now I'll put some miles on it.

6B9422A9-32C5-4465-941C-10BDFC6CEEC2.jpeg

1F2CDCE6-7EFA-4603-89A2-36875C5A1CCB.jpeg
5FDD0FAD-C64F-449A-9D20-56C26BB239A4.jpeg

In all honesty, I've had two Sonatas. The design after that one and the following design change. The one you just bought is still my favorite.

Congrats on a great buy.

Is this model on the "hit list" of the Kia Boyz Challenge?

Looks like your model has a key ignition, but it is in the dash. The ones getting driven off are key ignitions on steering wheel.

I was kind of interested in that era of sonata, as I think Hyundai just tried to make an Accord, even with double a-arm suspension up front, instead of struts. Should be a nice car to drive.
My great-aunt had a 2006. It was the reason I bought my 2015, was a good car for her until it was totaled at 160k.

I have only had it a few days, but I feel like these are kind of a hidden gem. Dirt cheap and decent transportation. It's comfortable. Some stuff is a little cheesy but super cheap and easy to replace, like the inner and outer door handles.

It looks like there is white paint transferred onto the passenger side rear door.

If that's the case, a lot of it could be polished off. If it doesn't come off completely you should be able to improve the appearance quite a bit.

I've had good luck with 3M swirl mark remover. I apply it with Lake Country pads and a Porter Cable random orbital sander/polisher. But you could do it by hand too if you're patient. Just be careful you don't polish through the clear coat.

Rusty rear subframes, we had to check them at every service and replace if rotted. The rot isn't visible under the undercoat so get a screwdriver out and start poking.

Well anybody that doesn't live in Arizona that is....

Off topic here, but I'm amazed at how green your lawns are and the abundance of trees
there. We just went through a "drought" here in August and our lawns were brown.

Umm the Hyundai...LS swap it.

back in the day I almost bought a 2009 with MT.
Went with an elantra touring (the mini wagon not related to elantra)

Steeing column maybe. Never saw a key on the steering wheel
wording aside the 07 looks a little harder to rip apart and turn with a usb cable.

Back