2013 Dodge Dart Limited 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great inside and outside. I live in a Dodge area but I don't see many of the Darts except on the dealers lot... Hopefully more folks will start buying them and maybe they would bring the 4 door hatch model over.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
I will just say this... I haven't had a problem with any of that. It's a 1.4L Turbocharged engine. If you select too high of a gear for the speed, of course the car isn't going to move. Only an issue when slowing to 10mph... 1st gear is too low, 2nd gear is too high sometimes, unless I blip the throttle a little more than generously before releasing the clutch.

Turbo power comes on nicely and I know exactly when it kicks in. I love the split personality, but I know some do not.

I'm glad you made that comment. A lot of people expect a small turbo engine to behave like a v6/v8. They do not, although recently the builders are getting pretty close. Automatic transmissions don't help any. If more people would learn how to drive a manual, they would really enjoy a small turbo engine. This car reminds me of my old Audi A4 1.8T I used to have. It was so much fun to drive just because of the drivetrain. Small turbo I4 with manual. I remember thinking, man I hope the domestic builders offer this combo one day. It looks like that day is finally here. Ford, Chevy and now Dodge all offer this drivetrain.

Oh and about the gearing...yeah thats ops normal for manuals these days. First gear has to be super short to get the car moving, and 2nd gear has to be long enough to get the car up to a decent speed. My Accord is the same way. First gear is really short, with a big gap to second. 2-5 are all normally spaced.

Looks like a very nice car. If it holds up well I'd definitely put that on my look at list.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
I will just say this... I haven't had a problem with any of that. It's a 1.4L Turbocharged engine. If you select too high of a gear for the speed, of course the car isn't going to move. Only an issue when slowing to 10mph... 1st gear is too low, 2nd gear is too high sometimes, unless I blip the throttle a little more than generously before releasing the clutch.

Turbo power comes on nicely and I know exactly when it kicks in. I love the split personality, but I know some do not.

I'm glad you made that comment. A lot of people expect a small turbo engine to behave like a v6/v8. They do not, although recently the builders are getting pretty close. Automatic transmissions don't help any. If more people would learn how to drive a manual, they would really enjoy a small turbo engine. This car reminds me of my old Audi A4 1.8T I used to have. It was so much fun to drive just because of the drivetrain. Small turbo I4 with manual. I remember thinking, man I hope the domestic builders offer this combo one day. It looks like that day is finally here. Ford, Chevy and now Dodge all offer this drivetrain.

Oh and about the gearing...yeah thats ops normal for manuals these days. First gear has to be super short to get the car moving, and 2nd gear has to be long enough to get the car up to a decent speed. My Accord is the same way. First gear is really short, with a big gap to second. 2-5 are all normally spaced.

Looks like a very nice car. If it holds up well I'd definitely put that on my look at list.

I'll keep you posted on how it holds up.

The Dart forums are full of threads regarding drive-by-wire modifier (Sprint pedal?) to help with the responsiveness. I don't find it a problem. The turbo lag... well it's not bad. I find the VW 2.0T to have a much lumpier engagement. It's a progressive build in pressure. But you're right, I think a lot of people have a lot of expectations on this little 1.365L engine. At least it's a 4-cyl that delivers.

It's a economy minded vehicle first, a sports car second, luxury second. The "Limited Special Edition" package gives you all but a few options. It has a similar lever equipment as my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Having driven on the Autostrada, having a 1.4L or even a 1.25L engine really doesn't prevent one from exceeding the 130KPH speed limit there. Even with the A/C running in July.

Even in 6th, I have no problem going faster than I should...

Originally Posted By: Win
That's a very nice looking car. Congratulations!

Thanks! While I'm sad my Jeep isn't my DD anymore, I love this little car.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Looks great inside and outside. I live in a Dodge area but I don't see many of the Darts except on the dealers lot... Hopefully more folks will start buying them and maybe they would bring the 4 door hatch model over.

My mother said the same thing... It's a very crowded segment. Now that Dodge has a willing competitor, they are working on changing their reputation.

Wait until 9-speed autos are installed for mid-cycle refresh.

Attractive cars, those Darts.

I'm looking forward to an SRT-4 version. As I understand it the chassis is competent, it just needs some stiffer and more powerful bits to take full advantage.

This is my first posting but this thread caught my eye:

With all due respect for any Dodge people out there my hat is off to you very recently. Dodge is IMO doing a great job in changing their much needed image and overall quality I think. I for most of my life have not been a Dodge fan. I have been in many Dodge vehicles, and hated just about everyone of them till now. The first Dodge that came across to me I even though about buying was in fact a 2006 SRT-8 "Charger" came very close... but did not do it. I do not dislike the "Hemi" but it is "Overhyped", sorry but true. The GM "LS" and Ford "OHC" designs are just as strong, reliable, whatever... you name it. Now back to Dodge... I was actually very pleased to see them under "FIAT" to some degree, hoping that they will light some kind of fire under their butt and that Dodge Dart is a great start, and IMO has a promising future it's a good running, great looking car!

Common complaints I've read about:
Turbo Lag
MPG
"Dead Pedal" due to drive-by-wire tuning

Overall... I like this car a lot. It's extremely underrated in my opinion.

Absolutely agreed. The more I see of this little squirt the better I like it! Congrats on a great choice.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
My son has a Dart Rallye with the 2.0L automatic and loves it. He's had it since January and almost has 7,000 miles on it. Still the FF 0W-20 oil - OLM hasn't told him to change it yet.

Jeez! I would've had that FF dumped 6K miles ago, would love to see that filter cut open
crazy2.gif

Congrats! I like those and consider them as next 4 door car when I will need it.
if you not concerned with warranty go with any 5w-40 Syn oil. I'm pretty sure engine will held up fine for 50k warranty miles, if not, drain and fill with right oil
smile.gif
before warranty work. Otherwise your choice is limited to PU 5w-40 and Maybe PU 0w-40.
Keep your FF til OLM shows you to change. I drained mine at 3150 miles(hard miles) and oil did not have to much contamination and had more than 5 TBN left. Search UOA section. Also I did little research and comparison for oil filters. Dart takes same filter. Mopar and Wix are good and low priced (Wix from rockauto priced the lowest) and Mann has best quality and most pleats and cost $0.60 more than Mopar.
Again search filter forums for pics.
If you get bored with that car and want to get rid of it consider adding MM ECU+Power pedal, For $1000 bucks you car will be completely different animal with around 200hp 220tq with stock intake.

Last edited:
Nice-looking Dart! Enjoy it!

A little turbo engine coupled with a manual transmission is a fun to drive and economical powertrain. Keep the RPM's low and it'll get great fuel economy. Keep it singing and it'll move smartly. Drive like usual and it'll return pretty decent fuel economy for a 3200 lb car.

Congrats on the new car. Dart is definitely a good looker. It's about time for the domestics to bring something interesting to the compact segment as Toyota and Honda have been sleeping at the wheel for some time now and the segment was a snooze fest for far too long.

That is a great car; none of the dealers around here have any manual Darts. I no longer need a four door however, so I might be going the Abarth route...

Looks goods! Similar power numbers to my old 80's turbo Dodge stuff, but it took an intercooled 2.2 to do that! Always have has a soft spot for Mopar stuff. The radio reminds me of the one in my 2013 Equinox.
Have fun with it! Looks like it will be a blast!

Last edited:
Of all the small cars the Dart is my favorite. Thanks for buying one with a manual transmission! I would have only done one thing different, and gotten the base model with the 2.0 (don't like all the bells and whistles).

Congrats on the car. Since the new Dart came out I've thought it was one of the best (maybe the best) looking car in its segment, and white is a good color on it. Glad to hear you're liking the engine -- I'm curious to what extent these new small turbos need to go into boost just to get the car moving "normally" but presumably with good oil and reasonable driving there should be little durability/longevity penalty. IIRC this 1.4T is still port injected, is that right?

I was very glad to see the stick shift in the photo. Save the manuals! How are you finding the transmission?

Originally Posted By: rationull

I was very glad to see the stick shift in the photo. Save the manuals! How are you finding the transmission?

What's even better is that you can option up the car and still be able to got the manual. That's one plus for having Fiat involved with Chrysler. European manufacturers understand that people who want manual transmission don't always want the base model to go with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MBS500
Congrats! I like those and consider them as next 4 door car when I will need it.
if you not concerned with warranty go with any 5w-40 Syn oil. I'm pretty sure engine will held up fine for 50k warranty miles, if not, drain and fill with right oil
smile.gif
before warranty work. Otherwise your choice is limited to PU 5w-40 and Maybe PU 0w-40.
Keep your FF til OLM shows you to change. I drained mine at 3150 miles(hard miles) and oil did not have to much contamination and had more than 5 TBN left. Search UOA section. Also I did little research and comparison for oil filters. Dart takes same filter. Mopar and Wix are good and low priced (Wix from rockauto priced the lowest) and Mann has best quality and most pleats and cost $0.60 more than Mopar.
Again search filter forums for pics.
If you get bored with that car and want to get rid of it consider adding MM ECU+Power pedal, For $1000 bucks you car will be completely different animal with around 200hp 220tq with stock intake.

Excellent!!! Thank you! I didn't realize the power potential of the little engine! Maybe once my 3/36K warranty is over...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Nice-looking Dart! Enjoy it!

A little turbo engine coupled with a manual transmission is a fun to drive and economical powertrain. Keep the RPM's low and it'll get great fuel economy. Keep it singing and it'll move smartly. Drive like usual and it'll return pretty decent fuel economy for a 3200 lb car.

The turbo makes me want to drive faster!!! But I did fill up... spirited city driving mostly... 26mpg! I'll take it... especially since its a new engine.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
That is a great car; none of the dealers around here have any manual Darts. I no longer need a four door however, so I might be going the Abarth route...

We thought about the Abarth, but with a family in the cards a few years from now, we planned ahead...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Looks goods! Similar power numbers to my old 80's turbo Dodge stuff, but it took an intercooled 2.2 to do that! Always have has a soft spot for Mopar stuff. The radio reminds me of the one in my 2013 Equinox.
Have fun with it! Looks like it will be a blast!

My cousin had a intercooled 2.2 growing up and it was fun!

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Of all the small cars the Dart is my favorite. Thanks for buying one with a manual transmission! I would have only done one thing different, and gotten the base model with the 2.0 (don't like all the bells and whistles).

Since I drive a lot, I chose to get some options. We only paid $2K more than a Rallye but got a heck of a lot of kit for the money. Truth be told, I would have been happy with a 1.4T Rallye... but my wife wanted the two tone leather and keyless-n-go.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Congrats on the car. Since the new Dart came out I've thought it was one of the best (maybe the best) looking car in its segment, and white is a good color on it. Glad to hear you're liking the engine -- I'm curious to what extent these new small turbos need to go into boost just to get the car moving "normally" but presumably with good oil and reasonable driving there should be little durability/longevity penalty. IIRC this 1.4T is still port injected, is that right?

Durability was a key concern of mine. I've NEVER owned a turbo and never really thought I would. My wife is half British so I called her cousins in the UK and asked about the reliability of the Alfa Guillietta and Abarth... no problems they've heard.

The manual has a longish throw... I can accidentally turn the HVAC off going into 3rd, but I like the throw and feel. Clutch is super light.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

What's even better is that you can option up the car and still be able to got the manual. That's one plus for having Fiat involved with Chrysler. European manufacturers understand that people who want manual transmission don't always want the base model to go with it.

It's one of the few cars available with Nav and manual transmission that doesn't cost me an arm and leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back