2013 Dodge Dart Limited 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Do the modern Turbos require an idle down period for a few minutes like the older ones did?

Nope, not unless you're really beating the snot out of it. Doing WOT hill runs or sustained 80+ mph driving, then idle for a minute to let it cool down some. These new turbos are water and oil cooled, with the water cooling relying on convection to cool the turbo after engine shutdown.

The only time I idle my Cruze is after really caning it. Otherwise I shut it off like a NA gas-engine car.

Apparently on some vehicles the convection makes the coolant boil as it goes through the turbo and back to the tank. I've been watching for boiling coolant on my parents Escape (for fun) but haven't seen it yet

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My boss has one of these - says it's a lot of fun. But even when driven easy on the freeway at the speed limit, it gets low 20s.

550 miles on the Dart now. Computer's MPG meter is wrong... I'm getting better MPG than what the computer says. First tank, I got 26mpg. Mostly hard city driving. EPA is 27 city. I'm sure if I wasn't trying to break the car in, I would get 27mpg.

The "less desirable" Kumhos aren't great in the wet. Shifting into second at about 12mph, then getting into boost range caused tire spin at 25mph. T'was an odd feeling.

I will say, I believe you need to run premium or even mid-grade to get the best MPG. Regular is acceptable, but I have a feeling that the MultiAir system, along with timing adjustments, will be working hard to prevent detonation. I don't like paying extra, but it's still half I was spending when I was filling the Hemi!

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
I will say, I believe you need to run premium or even mid-grade to get the best MPG. Regular is acceptable, but I have a feeling that the MultiAir system, along with timing adjustments, will be working hard to prevent detonation. I don't like paying extra, but it's still half I was spending when I was filling the Hemi!

I'd try to fill her up with Shell or another www.toptiergas.com , click on "retailers".

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I'd try to fill her up with Shell or another www.toptiergas.com , click on "retailers".

I only buy Top Tier.
laugh.gif

Apparently on some vehicles the convection makes the coolant boil as it goes through the turbo and back to the tank. I've been watching for boiling coolant on my parents Escape (for fun) but haven't seen it yet

I'm not sure if you're worried about boiling or not. The transition from 212 not boiling to 212 boiling takes up a significant amount of heat and that's all good to a hot turbo!

And besides, the cooling system should be under several psi of pressure when hot, boiling is a no no in the cylinder heads and such (makes hot spots).

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

I only buy Top Tier.
laugh.gif

Mine gets Costco premium most time, sometimes regular if price jumps to high for my taste. If I'm traveling it would be Shell,BP,Speedway(I have bonus card),Chevron.
I'm planning to go on road trip during fall to Florida through Atlanta,GA. About 1200 miles one way. Want to try regular on the way there and premium on the way back, to see if there any difference in mpg.

I noticed about a 10% difference in fuel mileage running premium over regular in my Cruze. More than that, the car was quicker and more responsive on premium. Between the very slightly lower cost running premium and the responsiveness, I chose to run premium all the time.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'm not sure if you're worried about boiling or not. The transition from 212 not boiling to 212 boiling takes up a significant amount of heat and that's all good to a hot turbo!

And besides, the cooling system should be under several psi of pressure when hot, boiling is a no no in the cylinder heads and such (makes hot spots).

The boiling isn't a bad thing (in the case of these coolant cooled turbos), I'm just trying to catch it boiling the coolant on shutdown. I think it's neat that they are able to cool the turbo with convection currents after the engine is off ...

Heck, even my 2011 Toyota Camry ran better on premium...enough for me to justify using it all the time. The cost was about the same due to the better MPG, and the engine was certainly more responsive than on regular.

Now on our CR-V, I can't tell a lick of difference. I ran 2 or 3 tanks of premium through it but no dice. Our Acura does recommend premium and it's all we use in it.

Unless we're away from home, all the cars get is Shell 87 or Shell 93.

The boiling isn't a bad thing (in the case of these coolant cooled turbos), I'm just trying to catch it boiling the coolant on shutdown. I think it's neat that they are able to cool the turbo with convection currents after the engine is off ...

Agreed it IS nifty, and a great example of good design that requires no parts to pull off a hugely beneficial cool down.

I owe you all an update. Since I bought the car, I've taken a job at a company that is 55-60 miles round trip, depending on route I take. I am currently averaging 32.5mpg (hand calculated) on Costco premium (mainly) in driving that's heavy towards city, which is a change from the previous style. I've found that V-Power makes the Dart feel sluggish for some reason.

I have 7200 miles on her already and the OCI light has not gone off... scares me, but I'm trusting it... that said, I'll probably change it before the new year. The Kuhmo tires, well I have zero faith in them and I might change them soon. I was driving a loaner Dart Turbo DDCT and i ran over a pot hole... popped the tire. Single ply sidewalls... that explains why I get thrown around in the wind and why the ride can get bouncy. They are getting worse in the rain and the are noisier now. Chip-seal pavement at 75mph, like I drive on going to Austin is deafening.

^^^Beautiful. I love that little car. Glad you like it.

Some nicer tires may change your car dramatically. They sure did on mine.

Thanks! It's a fun little car, but I miss the sound of my Hemi Jeep. But on road trips, the Jeep can't touch the Dart's MPG.... I've hit 40mpg on road trips.

I'm trying to wear them down as I hate throwing things away. They aren't the best, but I have tires. I am looking at a set of Bridgestones or Michelins for replacements.

I really like the looks of these as well. I hope I can find a cheap used one once my daughter needs a car (5 yrs from now). There's probably no chance in that given the price of used, small cars now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back