2012 Touareg TDI - Which oil would you use?

From my understanding if the engine code is the same the software is basically
if not exactly the same (excluding SW revision which mainly depends on build
date), at least not much different. For example in CNRB 'B' is engine SW version
including power level. If two engines are different they must come with different
last letter. CNR specifies hardware only.
Of course I could be wrong, but that's the principle I was told by all VW or Audi
engineers I met last 20 years.

Did I mention this engine deserves a VW 507 00 approved oil? I'd use either M1
ESP 5W-30 or Ravenol VMP 5W-30. Using a VW 511 00 oil is a smart idea though
I don't think a 0W/5W-40 is even required. However if you feel better with thicker
oil just go for VW 511 00/Porsche C40 - no issues to be expected. Again either M1
or Ravenol (RUP).

Times have changed and so has the relationship internal brands amongst conglomerates.

Without diving too deeply as this point should be easy to address, why the 5k oil change for the Cayenne vice Q7/Touareg? Same oil, air filter, oil capacity, and fuel filter for three. I’m sure you have an explanation for that.

This isn’t a VW vs Porsche dealio. I respect other makes to an extent. Maybe everyone got the notion you could have 957 or 958 for half the cost…. I don’t know nor do I care.

Your 3.0l (if you have one), is different to that of the Cayenne’s. Not in the least bit it does not have the emiss update. Porsche tuned it a bit differently and the Sport Mode is unique to the Cayenne as well. Between a 5000 change, 8-12oz is lost (probably evap of the T6). But driving is more aggressive and far more enjoyable.

Your Turbo Diesel will do better with more load and rpm. The higher volume/rpm of air flow will also help keep the intake clean and lesson egr usage.
I have an FCA diesel, so neither vw or porsche.

He doesn’t stand anywhere. It is not matter of an opinion.
Must be between you, Headless, and 996.

Take a look at service intervals for the shared V6 Petrol amongst VW, Audi, and Porsche. Then scroll and look at the 3.0l Diesel.

It’s not a matter of opinion as you say, but fact.

I have an FCA diesel, so neither vw or porsche.
Gotcha mate. I feel bad about the T6 5w-40 being priced high. Sold the 1 gal off for $30 each to a Craiger. Listed here for $22 with not a pm. Not sure how any of your mates (don’t know of anyone desperate enough to buy for more than $35 a gal or the $60 on EBay.

Best of luck with it, many out here drive the 1500 and enjoy it despite the niggles.

Must be between you, Headless, and 996.

Take a look at service intervals for the shared V6 Petrol amongst VW, Audi, and Porsche. Then scroll and look at the 3.0l Diesel.

It’s not a matter of opinion as you say, but fact.
Service interval does not mean different software. It could be XXXX different reasons why Porsche is doing it. And that is the fact.

If you want to talk about Porsche service intervals why don’t you have a look at Europe, 911 997 C4S flexible service interval can go up to 2 years or 19,000 miles, just like any other VAG product.

No reason for a 5000 miles service interval on a VAG 3.0 TDI in north America. Your not in Saudi Arabia. It’s this way as Porsche wanted it to fit in with their American market service schedule program/ marketing philosophy.

If you want to talk about Porsche service intervals why don’t you have a look at Europe, 911 997 C4S flexible service interval can go up to 2 years or 19,000 miles, just like any other VAG product.

No reason for a 5000 miles service interval on a VAG 3.0 TDI in north America. Your not in Saudi Arabia. It’s this way as Porsche wanted it to fit in with their American market service schedule program/ marketing philosophy.
The owners manual for my '03 Carrera said oil every 15k miles, oil filter every other oil service.

That didn't work out so well.

People are running the oil past TBN depletion?
In the early 00's I'd imagine quite frequently, with fuel quality being what it was.

The "IMS troubles" are worse in garage queens with infrequent oil changes. Seal shrinkage of the bearing allows oil ingress which mixes with and washes out the grease. Then the bearing is full of oil that gets cooked.

I’ll leave this here for now since “XXXX amount of reasons……”

Let the deductions begin…….lol

I’ll leave this here for now since “XXXX amount of reasons……”

Let the deductions begin…….lol
The Porsche does not have that engine. It has the newer, CNRA/B with the "improved" chains.

Interestingly, as the two designs age the "improved" engine is proving to be the less reliable. The 4 chain engines may experience chain stretch and need premature replacement, this is true. The later engine, installed in every 13+ Touareg, Q7, and Cayenne TDI, has problems with leaks. Oil and coolant, from everywhere. The later, 2 chain engine has had issues with tensioner rattle and chain slap from new. Audi even has a TSB addressing it as "normal" after a few owners went through several full timing replacements on new cars.

If chain health was the reason, then why not shorten the interval on the 3.6 or the 3.0t? The 3.6 is known to require chain replacement at ~150-200k miles as all other VR engines and the 3.0t is known for chain stretch and tensioner problems. In fact, pop the timing covers off and you'll see that the chain setup in the 3.0t is similar to the 4 chain TDI.

You won't catch me saying that change intervals have no affect on engine longevity or chain life, but you also still have zero proof on the reason that Porsche shortened the the interval.

Correlation≠causation. Just because a shorter interval may be better for the car does not mean that it was Porsche's reason for shortening the interval. If that was the case, they would have shortened it for other problematic engines.

Last edited:
For the life of me, I scroll and scroll... I still only see where the OP asked what oil should be used, not intervals.

Any of those should work just fine for the usage described.

Last edited:
Back