2012 Touareg TDI - Which oil would you use?

you want a low ash oil, VW 507,

a CK oil may lead to DPF failure

the oils would protect the engine yes, but the ash may kill the very expensive emission control systems
That's really only an issue when your dpf equipped diesel is both people and bug fogging from serious oil consumption and a tune if even applicable. But that's not really an issue with a stock no oil consuming engine being driven normally.

VW does have a spec for these consuming as much as 0.5 quarts every 600 miles unless I'm mistaken, but even if mistaken by a little it doesn't change the fact. I know they don't expect all of these to be perfectly made and burn 0 oil. An engine can burn close or under that 1qt/1.2k limit since new and they'd expect it to not have emissions issues under warranty at least with the slightly lower ash oil they'd like for you to use until its no longer their problem.

CK oils are very modern and are much better designed to deal with soot and ash for dpf equipped engines.

been driving a bit more spiritedly lately and have noticed the latest regen is 1000 miles ago. Of course, driving harder consumesa lot more fuel than the occasional regen, which uses about half a litre of fuel over 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what the engine is "clearanced" for in terms of using the 5-40.
I think you probably have to factor in the engine builders actually selecting an oil that is essentially too thin for the engine so that the engine consumes more of it, which then makes the owner top-up which refreshes the additive package enabling a longer service interval.

I've always thought that less of the 5w-40 will be going down the exhaust pipe than the 5w-30 which will easily offset the 0.8ppm vs 1.0ppm ash content.

I think the 5w-40 505.01/dexos 2 oil is probably a good shout, loads of ep additive in the 505.01 oil (they had to specially formulate this to protect the cam lobes that drove the pump injectors)

been driving a bit more spiritedly lately and have noticed the latest regen is 1000 miles ago. Of course, driving harder consumesa lot more fuel than the occasional regen, which uses about half a litre of fuel over 10 minutes.
Your 3.0l (if you have one), is different to that of the Cayenne’s. Not in the least bit it does not have the emiss update. Porsche tuned it a bit differently and the Sport Mode is unique to the Cayenne as well. Between a 5000 change, 8-12oz is lost (probably evap of the T6). But driving is more aggressive and far more enjoyable.

Your Turbo Diesel will do better with more load and rpm. The higher volume/rpm of air flow will also help keep the intake clean and lesson egr usage.

Your 3.0l (if you have one), is different to that of the Cayenne’s. Not in the least bit it does not have the emiss update. Porsche tuned it a bit differently and the Sport Mode is unique to the Cayenne as well. Between a 5000 change, 8-12oz is lost (probably evap of the T6). But driving is more aggressive and far more enjoyable.

Your Turbo Diesel will do better with more load and rpm. The higher volume/rpm of air flow will also help keep the intake clean and lesson egr usage.
They Cayenne has the same CNRB as the 13+ Touareg and Q7. Same hardware and software. Same for the transmission. I have the Cayenne gear logic enabled on my Touareg.

My Touareg has the earlier CASA/CATA 3.0.

Same software and hardware. Tune for Engine and Transmission are different as Porsche wanted it that way. Ask Oilhammer on TDIClub.

Regardless, my above statement on RPM and Sport mode lessons EGR usage.

From my understanding if the engine code is the same the software is basically
if not exactly the same (excluding SW revision which mainly depends on build
date), at least not much different. For example in CNRB 'B' is engine SW version
including power level. If two engines are different they must come with different
last letter. CNR specifies hardware only.
Of course I could be wrong, but that's the principle I was told by all VW or Audi
engineers I met last 20 years.

Did I mention this engine deserves a VW 507 00 approved oil? I'd use either M1
ESP 5W-30 or Ravenol VMP 5W-30. Using a VW 511 00 oil is a smart idea though
I don't think a 0W/5W-40 is even required. However if you feel better with thicker
oil just go for VW 511 00/Porsche C40 - no issues to be expected. Again either M1
or Ravenol (RUP).

Yeah, like I said, I have the Cayenne gear logic enabled.

I'd have to see real proof of the Cayenne having a different engine map, not just "some guy said." They use the same hardware and make the same power.
Dude, I don’t care where you stand on the differences between them. You drive your SUV and my Wife will drive hers.

Best of luck with the diesel

Back