2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee- best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheFatMan
I know a lot of you don't believe this But this is what my friend just told me they got him on with his RAM truck. his owner manual says
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

And the Dealer said the oil he used did not meet Chrysler requirements.

"Recommends" does not in any way equal "requires".

"meet the requirements of" does not in any way equal "listed"

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

As much as I dislike M1 SM formula, I doubt that to be the case. Still funny as heck though. The SN appears to be a better formulation

All I know is what my boy told me. He is a service manger at the Chrysler Dealership, He said they had to call in for approval to do some engine work on a RAM 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI in it. And Chrysler would not honor the warranty because it had Mobil 1 in it. And I do know the guy with the RAM truck(small town) and he did have to pay out of his pocket to have the rear main seal replaced. To say the least he sold the truck.
Believe what you want.
Ummmm....how are they able to determine that it's M1 in the engine unless they are told. it's not like they can look at the oil and determine it's M1.

I am not trying to start anything because I don't know a lot about this yet, But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

A ludicrous comment as it is printed right on the cap of all the 6.1's up until they were married to Fiat!

Hello?

Unsubstantiated rumors like this do not deserve Internet exposure. Now more people will repeat it and spread the baloney!

Last edited:
But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

As much as I dislike M1 SM formula, I doubt that to be the case. Still funny as heck though. The SN appears to be a better formulation

All I know is what my boy told me. He is a service manger at the Chrysler Dealership, He said they had to call in for approval to do some engine work on a RAM 2500 with the 5.7 HEMI in it. And Chrysler would not honor the warranty because it had Mobil 1 in it. And I do know the guy with the RAM truck(small town) and he did have to pay out of his pocket to have the rear main seal replaced. To say the least he sold the truck.
Believe what you want.

If I were the owner of the truck, I would be calling Chrysler directly and asking for proof that M1 causes any problems in their engines.

Originally Posted By: lighteningbee
I think M1 is AVERAGE at best but EVEN I'm not hat'en on the Mobiles brew that much even Tig and KILL(er) know that..lol

what would you say is truly the best 0w-40 synthetic for performance?

Redline.

I think M1 is AVERAGE at best but EVEN I'm not hat'en on the Mobiles brew that much even Tig and KILL(er) know that..lol

Those 2 have many hundreds of thousands of miles under their seats with m1 oils. And overkill is known to use every last hp when driving,yet even when the 302s were torn apart the insides were spotless and wear was immeasurable.
In tigs example the man has been using it since the 70s,and he's not had any single issue or even a whiff of one.
So yes maybe Mobil makes average oils now but at one point their oils were the top of the line,and set the bar to which all other producers had to meet,or get left behind.
That's why mobil's reputation is what it is. Like it or not(and I don't)they are the top dog in the syn oil world. Yes there are better products out there but for the money Mobil is a tough act to follow.
I personally like red line,but they cost double what Mobil costs and are they twice as good,not likely,although I do believe they are better,but not twice the price better.

Jmo

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Believe what you want.

I am sorry I will not buy that for a dollar.

If true your friend should of fought that claim and would of easily won. But this story is not improbable because from my experience with Chrysler service departments have given me the impression that Chrysler franchises have some of the most incompetent service department in my experience.

A few years ago, I took my Ram diesel to the local dealer here in Michigan with a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. He wanted $860 to replace it, because, you know, diesels are hard to diagnose and work on. I ordered the part online for $180 and replaced it in 15 minutes using no tools more complicated than a screwdriver. I'm never going back there.

I know a lot of you don't believe this But this is what my friend just told me they got him on with his RAM truck. his owner manual says
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

And the Dealer said the oil he used did not meet Chrysler requirements.

Note the use of the word "recommends". This is extremely different from REQUIRES. Which is what they would have to state to even require you to use a certified lubricant. They aren't even doing that!
crazy2.gif

EDIT: Pablo beat me to it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lighteningbee
Hi guys im new to this forum so first I would like to apologize for possibly posting this in the wrong category. I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Superbee with a 6.4L V8 engine. It is a 392 Hemi engine if that helps with anything. This car is honestly my most prized possession and I want to do everything I can to keep it running properly. I do drive it rather hard at times and I need to know what the best possible 0W-40 synthetic oil is that I can use in this engine. To me price is not an issue because if I just spent over 40k for a car the difference of $20 for better oil seems to be a very small price to pay to keep it running properly. Additionally I would like to know what the best quality oil filter is for this car with performance driving in mind as well as long engine life.

Thanks in advance,
lightning bee

Glad to see yet another Mopar guy here (don't know how I missed this post when it first popped up yesterday).

So let's talk about 392 engines, and get away from the whole warranty rathole this thread has gone down, it now has its own thread anyway. :p

I also have a 2012 SRT-8 392. When the time came for my first oil change, I jumped through a lot of hoops to get the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 oil that is the factory fill in these cars (it even has the SRT logo on the bottles, and claims to be "co-engineered" with SOPUS and Chrysler engineers specifically for SRT engine.)
543CE11D-8534-47E8-AD19-FABF9ED7AA64-2066-0000026E7E6DDD54_zps35624e15.jpg

So I paid the $10/quart price, and found that my ONLY choices for getting any of the stuff are the dealership or online. Both work out to within pennies of $10/quart. But its my baby, right?

Out of my inherent engineer/scientist curiosity and never having used Pennzoil Ultra before, I sent in a virgin sample for analysis... and was a bit disappointed. At least for the traditional additives, I would say the additive package is considerably weaker than Mobil 1 0w40- see this thread . On the other hand, if the same is true for 0w40 as for 5w30, Ultra has better (lower) NOACK volatility and *maybe* better long-term shear stability because it does use a very good base oil (see this PQIA comparison. ) . But I haven't seen a direct comparison of M1 0w40 vs PU 0w40, and extrapolating from the 5w30 is not really a safe thing to do since the 0w40s (in particular the M1) are distinctly different than the garden-variety xw30 oils under the same brand.

So what am I getting at? I ran Pennz Ultra for my first change, and I know its certainly a very good oil, and the factory uses it. But I'm *probably* going to switch to M1 0w40 next time around because a) its FAR more readily available and cheaper, b) its proven to be one of the best mass-market oils available... period. However, I will do an end-of-interval used analysis on the PU and then do the same with M1 just to see how they are holding up. Given the heat that these 392's put into the oil (have you watched your oil temp in the EVIC? It heads straight for 220+ degrees and parks there, which is great for driving out moisture and contaminants, but does demand viscosity stability) that may be more important than the old-school additive pack of M1, and if PU is better, then I'll stick with it.

As for filter- I'm running the Royal Purple synthetic this time (not this part number, but the same design ) , but given that these engines have relatively low oil pressure I'd be fine with the thinner-shelled Purolator synthetic or the Fram Ultra. The thick shell of the RP is probably overkill. Tthe highest cold oil pressure I've ever seen on the 392's EVIC is around 75 PSI, compared with nearly 100 when cold on the aftermarket gauge my 4.7L Ram- and that's with 0w20 oil in the Ram! I gather that the 392 has a more sophisticated oil pressure regulation system similar to the 3.6L v6 because of the VCT and MDS systems- although MDS is disabled on mine since its a stick car.

Last edited:
Next time try contacting your local Pennzoil distributor. Often my local distributor can provide PU at a better price even 0W40.

Good suggestion. It just goes against my nature to routinely use something that isn't easily available.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Next time try contacting your local Pennzoil distributor. Often my local distributor can provide PU at a better price even 0W40.

Good suggestion. It just goes against my nature to routinely use something that isn't easily available.

Funny I'm the opposite, if it's a top flight product I'll go out of my way to get it.
PU 0W-40 is the last of the Ultra brand that hasn't been reformulated using GTL base oils. I'm interested in what it's revised PDS will look like. If the VI stays high but with an improvement in NOACK we could have real alternative to M1 from a major oil company. They could do it but some how I don't think they will.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Funny I'm the opposite, if it's a top flight product I'll go out of my way to get it.
PU 0W-40 is the last of the Ultra brand that hasn't been reformulated using GTL base oils. I'm interested in what it's revised PDS will look like. If the VI stays high but with an improvement in NOACK we could have real alternative to M1 from a major oil company. They could do it but some how I don't think they will.

I do like the top flight products and I obviously DID go out of my way to stay with the factory fill. Its just irksome to me, and goes against my engineer's inclination to make sure the supply chain is always reliable in case of emergency. If one excellent product is more available than another and they perform reasonably close, I'll pick availability as my standard so that I'm not stuck scrambling sometime.

On the latter part of your comments- I didn't realize 0w40 wasn't GTL based yet. Makes me want to drain it and switch to M1 even sooner. I'm holding out for the OLM, but I don't expect it until somewhere around the 8k mile interval recommended in the manual, and I'm at about 6400 on the oil now. I don't think I do enough short-tripping to make it go off much sooner than the recommended mileage interval.

As for PU 0w40 being an alternative to M1 0w40, don't forget that my VOA of PU 0w40 showed 5w30-like concentrations of Zn/P. Not the higher levels allowed for a 40-weight like M1 0w40 still has, though many engines wouldn't actually need those levels.

Don't be afraid to deal with an oil distributor. It tends to insulate one a bit more against Walmart's stocking policies and run on stock when there's a rollback.

On the latter part of your comments- I didn't realize 0w40 wasn't GTL based yet. Makes me want to drain it and switch to M1 even sooner. I'm holding out for the OLM, but I don't expect it until somewhere around the 8k mile interval recommended in the manual, and I'm at about 6400 on the oil now. I don't think I do enough short-tripping to make it go off much sooner than the recommended mileage interval.

Well, she made a liar out of me- 'Oil Change Required' warning came on over the weekend at about 6500 miles on the oil. Seems awfully conservative, but I guess I get to run that UOA a bit sooner than I planned. ;-)

Still debating whether to run M1 0w40 this time, or go looking for distributors and other cheaper/readier sources of PU 0w40. Leaning to M1.

I am not trying to start anything because I don't know a lot about this yet, But I do know The Chrysler Dealership my son works at will not honor any warranty work on any Chrysler engine that has run Mobil 1 in it.

Wow I guess the Viper owners are SOL?

30ubz1d.jpg

Originally Posted By: zloveraz

30ubz1d.jpg

That pic is of a Dodge Viper engine Not SRT Viper that was made when Daimler was the overlord,( So yes they used Mobil 1 Then).
But now Fiat is the Overlord of Chrysler and the SRT Viper says Pennzoil in the USA and in Europe the SRT Viper says SHELL.

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

30ubz1d.jpg

That pic is of a Dodge Viper engine Not SRT Viper that was made when Daimler was the overlord,( So yes they used Mobil 1 Then).
But now Fiat is the Overlord of Chrysler and the SRT Viper says Pennzoil in the USA and in Europe the SRT Viper says SHELL.

It's actually off a SRT-10 Truck but anyway up until the Fiat take-over it was XOM that ruled the roost at the big Pentastar and now it's SOPUS not really a surprise since SOPUS rules (owns?) Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back