2011 Honda Odyssey, 210k miles, 9800 mile UOA, Mobil1 High Mileage 0w20

2011 Honda Odyssey, 210000 miles, oil was Mobil 1 High Mileage 0w20, filter was Bosch 3323 (US made), VCM disabled at 170k miles, no noticeable oil consumption. Has gotten Mobil 1 generally since 100k miles. Have followed Maintenance Minder generally but usually gets changed 1000 miles late…

Refilled with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0w20 and Bosch US made 3323 filter. Had the Pennzoil hanging around in garage since I bought it in 2021? when Mobil1 was hard to find and I wanted to try it.

BC6F4FB7-E3C8-41B3-AB13-143CCE8D17D1.png

Despite the low flashpoint, the viscosity is in good shape. You can't complain about single-digit wear metals in almost 10k miles. And zero consumption on a 210k vehicle? Pretty awesome.

Do you happen to remember the oil that was used in the previous fill? How long did it take to drive those 9800 miles?

Despite the low flashpoint, the viscosity is in good shape. You can't complain about single-digit wear metals in almost 10k miles. And zero consumption on a 210k vehicle? Pretty awesome.

Do you happen to remember the oil that was used in the previous fill? How long did it take to drive those 9800 miles?
The 9800 miles was in 9 months from Sept to June, 30 mile commute, some winter idling during football/band/guard season stuff. Warm southern climate. No oil burned/added, I checked my email notes to myself. This one was past the Maint Minder reminder by about 1000 miles (I was busy and I knew I had good oil in there).

Previous fill was Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage synth 0w20 that I had bought in 2020 to try, that one was 194k to 200k miles over 9 months with a lot of idling (school drop offs) and some 30 mile commutes. I took a sample but never sent in. Followed the Maint Minder on that one too.

Thanks for looking and commenting. This is a great resource for learning, sharing, common interests.

Congratulations on making it to 210k miles.
Do you have VCM enabled or disabled?

Would it be accurate to say your Odyssey has had an OCI of about 10k mile oil changes for the last 110k miles?

It would be interesting to see a photo of your oil filler hole or engine without valve cover to see if engine is free of sludge with the 10k OCI.

I have 4 Odysseys and do more frequent OCI's to help prevent sludge, as the extreme heat on the front 3 cylinder heads with VCM enabled can cook the oil in these engines.

Congratulations on making it to 210k miles.
Do you have VCM enabled or disabled?

Would it be accurate to say your Odyssey has had an OCI of about 10k mile oil changes for the last 110k miles?

It would be interesting to see a photo of your oil filler hole or engine without valve cover to see if engine is free of sludge with the 10k OCI.

I have 4 Odysseys and do more frequent OCI's to help prevent sludge, as the extreme heat on the front 3 cylinder heads with VCM enabled can cook the oil in these engines.
Vcm disabled at 170k miles when I started noticing oil consumption.

For the OCI, I have followed the Maint Minder but I usually go 500 to 1000 miles past by the time I actually get it changed.

I will try to remember to get a photo for you.

Here are photos inside the front valve cover area I took today with a borescope, went in through the fill port. The oil has about 1000 miles on it now. Hopefully you can recognize some things inside - valve springs, rocker arms, cam shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 48
Here are photos inside the front valve cover area I took today with a borescope, went in through the fill port. The oil has about 1000 miles on it now. Hopefully you can recognize some things inside - valve springs, rocker arms, cam shaft.

This will make the 3k mile changers run for the hills but the proof, on this machine at least, speaks for itself. Looks very clean as I hoped it would from running HM oil in a warm southern enviornment. Was the 0w-20 Mobil HM the 10k version? Semi-Synthetic or?

Also, The pic I've attached appears to have really scuffed cam lobe but I'm assuming, & hoping, that it's just bad reflections from the scope cam.

IMG_2372.PNG

Thank you for uploading the photos. I am happy that your engine is internally clean from what we can see in the photos.

Back