2011 Honda Civic. Should I used left over 508.00?

My sister ended up purchasing a 2011 Honda Civic LX (1.8 / 5 speed auto) with 112K to replace her totaled 2012 Accord 2.4 with 220K. I try to keep up with her oil changes and simple maintenance items as it's not something she prioritizes.

Tonight I went out and purchased 3 quarts of Honda DW-1 ATF, Honda OE power steering fluid, Honda OE coolant, Fram Ultra engine air filter and Super Tech 0w20 paired with a Fram Extra Guard (orange can).

I had planned to do a oil/filter change, transmission fluid drain and fill, power steering fluid extract and fill, radiator drain and fill and engine air filter change tomorrow with these items BUT when looking through my "auto closet" I found quite a few partial quarts of VW OEM 508.00 0w20 and a partial quart of Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 manufactured in 2014. A little over 4 quarts total.

So, my thought was to run a short OCI (maybe 3-5K miles) on this mixture then do another 5K OCI with the Super Tech 0w20 and a new Fram Extra guard before eventually settling into a 5K minimum OCI with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum paired with a Fram Ultra oil filter.

My concern is that VW 508.00 does not have an API spec. It only lists ACEA C5 and of course 508.00 as specs on the back of the bottle. I know 508.00 spec is a stringent spec, but it's also designed for specific applications. So I am unsure if it is appropriate for use in a 2011 Honda.

Also curious to hear your thoughts on mixing it with the Pennzoil. I'd like to be frugal and put the left over oil to good use especially if it can be used as a "flush" of sorts in the form of a short OCI, but not at the expense of her Civic if this is a poor application.

Thanks in advance guys. If all goes well and I am able to get this done tomorrow, I'll try and put up some pics.

Honda engines generally don't care about the oil that's put in them. It would be wasteful or foolish to use the VW-spec oil for short durations or to "flush" it.

The 508 is more than up to the task. Im not a big fan of mixing oils so I wouldn't mix it, if you've got enough extra 508 for a complete fill, Id be more likely to run the super tech for your short run and the 508 a regular interval... or more likely just run the super tech a normal interval and use the 508 in a Volkswagen...

Honda engines generally don't care about the oil that's put in them. It would be wasteful or foolish to use the VW-spec oil for short durations or to "flush" it.
Honesty if I don’t use it for this it would just be top off oil for the Jetta, which hasn’t been needed. It likely would just be disposed of otherwise.

The only thing about those partials that I would have any concern with is the Pennzoil that is dated 2014 (7-8 years old) and has been opened and sitting on the shelf. I would probably skip using that one.

The only thing about those partials that I would have any concern with is the Pennzoil that is dated 2014 (7-8 years old) and has been opened and sitting on the shelf. I would probably skip using that one.
It’s been stored inside since initial use and I shook the bottle very well so additives should be in suspension. However it is old. I’m short by half a quart of the left over 508 so I need something.

Yes, I'd use it and check the oil level often to see if it's an oil burner. May want to replace the pcv valve, with oem of course.

Not sure what the oil capacity is on the Si but the 1.7 or 1.8L uses less than 4 quarts (3.75 or so) which means more leftover oil. That engine can be the ideal candidate to use the leftovers in.

I went ahead and used the mix. About 3.25 quarts of OE VW 508.00 and 0.75 quarts of the old Pennzoil Platinum. Engine sounds fine. Will need to monitor consumption. Going to plan on changing it out at 116K, at that point I'll use the Super Tech, then from there move up to M1 or PP.

I think the Honda owner's manual states you can change the filter every other oil change also. Important thing is getting new, fresh oil in there. Especially with such a small capacity.

I think the Honda owner's manual states you can change the filter every other oil change also. Important thing is getting new, fresh oil in there. Especially with such a small capacity.
It does, yes. For this change, and likely the next I am using the basic Fram Extra Guard (orange can). Once I move up to M1 or PP I plan to use an Ultra and potentially change every other OCI. The problem is my sister drives A LOT and racks up the miles quite quickly. She put 9K on the last OCI I did for her in the 2012 Accord 2.4 before I could blink. I have to stay on top of her lol.

In that case maybe some M1 ESP in there when you do the change over. That's supposed to be one of their best oils.

Nothing wrong with that idea. 508 is very stout oil. If you're looking for another premium 0W-20, Castrol Edge EP also carries Mercedes' similar approval, MB229.71. Easy to find at some Walmarts.

Don't read too much into the spider graph. I shouldn't be comparing different OEM approvals as advised by Lubrizol.

1642874765151.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that idea. 508 is very stout oil. If you're looking for another premium 0W-20, Castrol Edge EP also carries Mercedes' similar approval, MB229.71. Easy to find at some Walmarts.

Don't read too much into the spider graph. I shouldn't be comparing different OEM approvals as advised by Lubrizol.

View attachment 85561
Not looking to run a high end euro oil in the Civic. A mainstream quality 0w20 is the plan. I’m just running 508 this round as I had some left overs to use up.

Back