2011 C300

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my sister's car. I'm going to help her monitor her oil changes so she doesn't have to fork out $300 at the dealer for "special oil that is specific to the car".

Can someone give me the engine model? I'm assuming M1 0w-40 should be suitable.

Yes, Mobil 1 0W40 is a good choice for MB during warranty. You may want to invest in an oil extractor like Mityvac, also an oil filter cap wrench. The cartridge oil filter holder of all newer MB is on top of the engine, and the oil dipstick tube is designed to evacuate oil so that you don't need to raise the car and get under it to do oil change.

Originally Posted By: bruno
Dipstick tube ?

In a new Mercedes ?

Yup. Mercedes service departments use the top side extraction method for engine oil changes, so the dipstick tube had to stay.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: poiuy223
Can someone give me the engine model? I'm assuming M1 0w-40 should be suitable.

It has the M272 engine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M272_engine

And as was noted earlier, you want an oil that meets MB 229.5 (not 229.51) spec. M1 0w-40 is probably the easiest to find as far as availability goes and is also a pretty good oil.

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to convert my whole family over to M1. 0w-40 in my car and my sister's C300. 0w-20 AFE in my mom's RX350. And I'm sure there is a suitable flavor for my dad's LS460L.

NEIN DUMBKOPF! Zere are no uzer zerviceable parts inside a Mercedes Benz automobile. You must rely on ze computer display to tell you ven to return to Mercedes Benz Vorkshop. Ve vill do all ze maintenance.

Why do these cars have their oil changed through the dipstick? I never understood why.

The dipstick tube is designed such that its end is at the bottom of the oil pan, so that more oil can be extracted than remove the drain plug. It also saves time for not raising the car, removing/reinstall the splash shield, and no chance to cross-tread drain plug, also no chance to get crusted under the car for failed jack stand(s).

Using an oil extractor to do oil change on these engines made me wonder why all engines are not designed this way.

I was thinking of just taking the oil and filter to my local mechanic to do the job. He charges me $10 for labor.

Think that might be a problem? They've been in business for a long time and from my experiences there, they know their cars. The traditional non-extractor method still works right?

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
The traditional non-extractor method still works right?

Still works. You may just need to remove the plastic engine guard/underbelly to be able to get to the drain plug. Make sure the guy doesn't lose your fasteners - very common issue if you take it to some quickie lube place that has never seen one of these.

Also, make sure the guy actually pours YOUR oil into the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back