2010 X3 3.0si 105k valvetrain shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks really good. This car has mostly had Cam 2 semi syn 5/30 and a Mann filter for 5-6k for most of its life since I started maintaining it at around 40k. Seems like its holding up alot better than the 09 328xi with the same engine that was all sludged at 70k.
[Linked Image]

Oh, I thought you meant "shot" as in ruined or reached the end. Nice pic and that blend (which on paper doesn't appear to be special) has done a great job keeping things clean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Looks really good. This car has mostly had Cam 2 semi syn 5/30 and a Mann filter for 5-6k for most of its life since I started maintaining it at around 40k. Seems like its holding up alot better than the 09 328xi with the same engine that was all sludged at 70k. https://i.redd.it/p7sgdcgxt0p11.jpg
Cam2 SuperPro Max 5w30 Synthetic Blend oil doesn't have the HTHS you really need for that N52 engine (LL-01 needs 3.5-3.8). Also, it should be a full synthetic there too. If not driven that hard, Cam2 isn't bad though, and it was changed at 6k, no harm done. ... If driven hard, definitely go with any brand 0w40 you see on the shelf at walmart, IMHO. Mann oil filter is a good choice here, OEM stuff. .... Looks clean enough. Its what you can't see, how black the pistons are to be specific, that is a problem on a lot of cars though.

Not an '09, but you posted a '10 BMW 328xi that sludged up: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4834428/2010_bmw_328xi_30000_mile_oil_

MCompact's son's '09 328i looks slightly better:

Originally Posted by MCompact
My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles; here's what it looked like at 108,000 miles:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Oh, I thought you meant "shot" as in ruined or reached the end.

LOL. I thought the same thing. I was expecting to see some major carnage after clicking on this post.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Oh, I thought you meant "shot" as in ruined or reached the end.

LOL. I thought the same thing. I was expecting to see some major carnage after clicking on this post.

Ditto, ditto & ditto -- was waiting for damage. Besides that, looks like the Cam2 is doing its job paired with your filter.

Oh, I thought you meant "shot" as in ruined or reached the end. Nice pic and that blend (which on paper doesn't appear to be special) has done a great job keeping things clean.

I thought the same as well. It does look very good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back